Don Banks combine column CNNSI - Belichick talking evaluating safetys (bu bye Roy)

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I think we missed Roy a bit in run support this year. Chances are he doesn't blow both tackles like Hamlin did on those two huge runs against the Ravens, but the money he's making is a little ridiculous considering he's not an every down player.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
burmafrd;2649402 said:
Frankly I see a time when you have 3 CBs starting and only 1 Safety.

...and that safety will be a big physical free safety playing the SS position.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
ddh33;2649403 said:
You know, it's kind of strange that college football has been a little ahead of the NFL lately.

Colleges were doing a lot of this several years ago, including when Roy Williams was playing a hybrid position at OU.

More recently, colleges are going almost exclusively to spread offenses, and we are gradually seeing more and more of that in the NFL too.

It's a trickle up effect. The NFL is almost forced to adopt more spread offenses, because all of the coaching and player talent infusing into the league from college and high school come from spread offenses. Eventually the NFL coaches have to make the best of what they have to work with, and now that's players who have played in spread offenses. You don't see many fullbacks coming out of college because they aren't implemented in the spread. I was reading a quote by an NFL general manager the other day lamenting that it's impossible to find all around TE's coming from college, because they're all 235-240 lbs. TE/WR hybrids who play spread out from the line of scrimmage. Chan Gailey had to implement the spread last year in Kansas City because it was an offense Tyler Thigpen knew from college.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;2649518 said:
The NFL constantly evolves. Those hard hitting safetys are becoming more and more obsolete due to different schemes and packages. There's only a few rare exeptions that come along who can do both. Polamalu, Bob Sanders and Sean Taylor.
All of whom get burned as much as Roy.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Belichick is trying to psyche us out. If the Cowboys cut Roy, the Patriots will pick him up and turn him into a monster again.

Disturbed

A Mere Flesh Wound
Reaction score
Belicheck takes players who perform on the field, so he won't be foolish enough to consider Roy Williams.

And I think we will see larger CB playing and ultimately teams will have 3 or 4 starting in the secondary...the current safety is obsolete.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Future;2649883 said:
All of whom get burned as much as Roy.

and get payed a lot less to do it while getting the same results....

Like I said if he still blew people up then every part of his game would improve because he makes players play timid and do things slower.

I seriously wonder if he was on steroids at OU and once he got to the league the results he had from it only lasted so long.