Done with the NFLs officiating

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I am following the correct rule and regardless if a receiver makes a football move if they're in the process of going to the ground during a catch they have to hold onto the ball throughout the entire process of contacting the ground.

You are dense. The refs acknowledge that if he had made a football move then the "Calvin Johnson" rule does not come into play. It was their judgement that there was no football move. They even tried to cop out with "not enough" of a football move was made. As if a little bit pregnant isn't pregnant. Which is why everyone does not believe them. Because everyone sees that there were multiple football moves on that play.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You can even read Steratore's comments that he looked for a football move.

He may have looked for a football move but Blandino said "Bryant going to the ground. By rule he must hold onto it throughout entire process of contacting the ground. He didn't so it is incomplete."

speedkilz88

Reaction score
He may have looked for a football move but Blandino said "Bryant going to the ground. By rule he must hold onto it throughout entire process of contacting the ground. He didn't so it is incomplete."

Because he's in spin mode. He already had said after the game that it was not enough of a football move. As if a little bit pregnant isn't pregnant enough. Nobody believed that explanation so he dropped that part of the explanation.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You are dense. The refs acknowledge that if he had made a football move then the "Calvin Johnson" rule does not come into play. It was their judgement that there was no football move. Which is why everyone does not believe them. Because everyone sees that there was multiple football moves on that play.

I'm not dense I understand the rule that's in place for when a receiver is going to the ground. There's an entire process they have to adhere to while going to the ground they have to make a football move and they must maintain control of the ball if it contacts the ground. If the ball comes loose or oscillates when the ball contacts the ground the pass is ruled incomplete.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I'm not dense I understand the rule that's in place for when a receiver is going to the ground. There's an entire process they have to adhere to while going to the ground they have to make a football move and they must maintain control of the ball if it contacts the ground. If the ball comes loose or oscillates when the ball contacts the ground the pass is ruled incomplete.

NO you are dense because you refuse to start with the correct rule. The rule you keep trying to use does not come into play unless a football move was not made. The refs have even admitted that.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Because he's in spin mode. He already had said after the game that it was not enough of a football move. As if a little bit pregnant isn't pregnant enough. Nobody believed that explanation so he dropped that part of the explanation.

He dropped that part because that's what's causing all the controversy and has everyone confused. Everyone can see the ball touches the ground and comes loose but no one can understand how Dez didn't make a football move or a move common to the game when he had control of the ball and was reaching for the goal line with it.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
NO you are dense because you refuse to start with the correct rule. The rule you keep trying to use does not come into play unless a football move was not made. The refs have even admitted that.

Dude, if you throw the word "dense" at me one more time or attempt to make this discussion anything less than civil you'll be eliminated from my discussion list. I've given you enough of my time so move on!

LOBO7

Reaction score
One thing for sure there wasn't indisputable evidence to overturn anything called on the field.
So many people have watched the play and come away with different opinions. That is the definition of
disputable.

dispute-
a. To express disagreement over: disputed the plaintiff's claims.
b. To express disagreement with (someone): made his point so forcefully that nobody dared dispute him.

Sage3030

Reaction score
He dropped that part because that's what's causing all the controversy and has everyone confused. Everyone can see the ball touches the ground and comes loose but no one can understand how Dez didn't make a football move or a move common to the game when he had control of the ball and was reaching for the goal line with it.

That comes off as:

We used whether or not he made a football move to make the call, but since everyone sees he did make a football move and we still called it incomplete, we are going to act like that didn't happen and throw it out the window.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
That comes off as:

We used whether or not he made a football move to make the call, but since everyone sees he did make a football move and we still called it incomplete, we are going to act like that didn't happen and throw it out the window.

The league is going to have to better define exactly what a football move or a move common to the game actually is. The league is trying to make things as clear cut as possible to remove as much judgment as they can but there's way too much judgment on what a football move is or isn't. The league has stated when going to the ground a receiver must hold onto the football throughout the process of contacting the ground. That's a pretty clear cut call it's not that difficult to see if a ball comes loose or oscillates when it touches the ground on slow-motion replay. We've seen many times where a receiver goes up and clearly makes a catch but on the way to the ground the ball comes slightly loose when it contacts the ground and the catch is called incomplete on the field or during a booth review.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Every time someone quotes Blandino their credibility drops.

So who do we suppose to quote someone here? Who are we suppose to listen to FANS or the league? I quoted the Vice President of officiating and you have a problem with that? Everyone from Blandinio to Mike Pereira have been called idiots on this board. Anytime someone on a FAN board calls an expert an idiot they're credibility drops. You have FANS on this board calling former NFL coaches, GM's and the commissioner of the NFL idiots like they could do a better job. They're all human and make mistakes they have a tough job with calls that involve a lot of judgment. Not everyone is going to see things the same way even the former refs the Networks are using to give their opinions on booth reviewed calls don't agree with all the rulings that are made.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Every time someone quotes Blandino their credibility drops.

Quotes them as support anyway, and not to point out hypocrisy or inconsistency.

I think there is a lot of confusion with "going to the ground." Falling is not going to the ground, hitting the ground is going to the ground. If the catch process is complete (2 feet and a football move) before the player touches the ground, then they did not "go to the ground" in the process, and that rule does not apply.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I think there is a lot of confusion with "going to the ground." Falling is not going to the ground, hitting the ground is going to the ground. If the catch process is complete (2 feet and a football move) before the player touches the ground, then they did not "go to the ground" in the process, and that rule does not apply.

How is falling not going to the ground? :cool: You sound like the one who's confused. Dez fell and hit the ground while making the catch. He lunged towards the goal line causing the ball to touch the ground and it came loose.

LittleLexodus

Reaction score
How is falling not going to the ground? :cool: You sound like the one who's confused. Dez fell and hit the ground while making the catch. He lunged towards the goal line causing the ball to touch the ground and it came loose.

In slow motion it appears he voluntarily makes those steps, but in full speed it definitely looks like falling. I guess that's just how good Dez is athletically. I keep wishing he would have secured the ball but that's not who he is.

Kevinicus

Reaction score

Going to the ground is touching the ground during the process of the catch. When a football move is made after 2 feet are down, the process is complete. If the player does that prior to touching the ground, then they did not "go to the ground" during the process, but after.

The words "To" and "Towards" are not the same thing.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
In slow motion it appears he voluntarily makes those steps, but in full speed it definitely looks like falling. I guess that's just how good Dez is athletically. I keep wishing he would have secured the ball but that's not who he is.

The mistake Dez made was trying to put the ball over the goal line instead of just making the catch and not allowing the ball to touch the ground. The Cowboys would have had the ball at the 2 yard line and could have easily punched it in from there. Dez has a nose for the endzone and his instincts are to reach for the goal line and unfortunately the ball came loose when it touched the ground. A receiver going to the ground doesn't even have to make a football move to have a completed catch provided the ball doesn't move when it comes in contact with the ground. We see catches all the time where a receiver dives for a ball makes the catch in mid air but the ball moves or bobbles as it touches the ground causing it to be waved off. The ball can touch the ground but if replay determines the ball moved/oscillated or the ground was used to help secure the catch it's ruled incomplete.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Dude, if you throw the word "dense" at me one more time or attempt to make this discussion anything less than civil you'll be eliminated from my discussion list. I've given you enough of my time so move on!

lmao

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Going to the ground is touching the ground during the process of the catch. When a football move is made after 2 feet are down, the process is complete. If the player does that prior to touching the ground, then they did not "go to the ground" during the process, but after.

Going to the ground and touching the ground can occur by a player falling while trying to make a catch or diving after a football. When a player is going to the ground the process isn't complete until after they come in contact with the ground. Go argue this with Blandino, Pereira or an NFL official and explain to them how you think it should be ruled.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

Going to the ground and towards the ground are the same thing you're ending up on the ground unless a player can defy gravity. Not even Bo Jackson could do that.