Done with the NFLs officiating

Kevinicus

Reaction score
You're wrong going to the ground and maintaining control of the football when making contact with the ground is part of the process. Go read the rules!

I've read the rule. That rule applies when going to the ground in the process of making the catch. It means squat when the catch is complete before going to the ground.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I've read the rule. That rule applies when going to the ground in the process of making the catch. It means squat when the catch is complete before going to the ground.

Dez was going to the ground in the process of making the catch have you not seen the replay? Here's a quote from Dean Blandino "Bryant going to the ground. By rule he must hold onto it throughout entire process of contacting the ground. He didn't so it is incomplete."

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
i hate too bring it up but with any other head ref it would have been a completion. This ref was the same one that ruled the Calvin Johnson play . Dez took 3 steps lunging for the goaline his elbow hit first therefore he is down by contact . Players reach for the goaline all the time and once that ball hits the floor it doesn't matter if it lands in the stands he is DOWN. just an insane call.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
I would love to know Blandino's roots. There is a mafia connection somewhere. How does a guy who has zero field officiating experience wind up in that job?

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Dez was going to the ground in the process of making the catch have you not seen the replay? Here's a quote from Dean Blandino "Bryant going to the ground. By rule he must hold onto it throughout entire process of contacting the ground. He didn't so it is incomplete."

Seen the replay a hundred times. Catch, THEN to the ground. Blandino is a proven idiot, and spin doctor, who can't even get his story straight. That's who you choose to support your position?

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
It was a judgement call and a very poor one based on what we all saw. In reality, using fair judgement and following the rules as laid out, the following should have been the correct judgement:
Part 1 of the play
1. Did Dez established control? yes
2. Did Dez establish two feet inbounds? yes
3. Did Dez make a football move common in the game? yes, absolutely!

If all three are yes, then Dez did make a catch at that point in the play.

Part 2 of the play

1. After making/establishing a catch,was Dez contacted by a defender? yes
2. Did that contact result in Dez going down to the ground? yes

What is the only proper conclusion?
Ball should be spotted where the ball was positioned when Dez made first contact with the ground, with his elbow in this case.
Initial spot was..... spot on correct.
I wish more people understood that this is exactly how it went down on the field, before the review came into it.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Seen the replay a hundred times. Catch, THEN to the ground. Blandino is a proven idiot, and spin doctor, who can't even get his story straight. That's who you choose to support your position?

Who am I suppose to choose to support my position the vice president of officiating or should I believe FANS on this board? Who do you believe is more credible an expert or a FAN?

Last edited:

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Who am I suppose to choose to support my position the vice president of officiating or should I believe FANS on this board? Who do you believe is more credible an expert or a FAN?

Maybe someone who is consistent for starters.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score

How about yourself?

watch the play.
read the rule.
listen to the explanation.

come to a conclusion.

Just remember. To over turn a call on the field, it has to 100% without any doubt what so ever.....

also, keep in mind. The replay official is from Steelers Country. And owns a business there in "Steelers" Country. Dude just made a ton of friends. Both business and personal....

Steeler fans hate the Cowboys more the Eagle fans I think.

Last edited:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
How about yourself?

watch the play.
read the rule.
listen to the explanation.

come to a conclusion.

Just remember. To over turn a call on the field, it has to 100% without any doubt what so ever.....

also, keep in mind. The replay official is from Steelers Country. And owns a business there in "Steelers" Country. Dude just made a ton of friends. Both business and personal....

Steeler fans hate the Cowboys more the Eagle fans I think.

I watched the play, read the rule and came to a conclusion read my posts! It's ludicrous to think because the replay official is from Steelers country that swayed his decision especially when Blandino was looking in on the play to give his opinion. The NFL is trying to get these calls right and no crew or official is going to purposely screw a team on a call with millions of people watching and the play being scrutinized by so many people. Officiating crews get persecuted and some refs have even received death threats for making mistakes. Refs take pride in what they do and want to be respected not be bashed on every sports Network for making a mistake in from of a Nationally televised audience.

They do their best but these are judgement calls and everyone sees things differently. The Cowboys had plenty of opportunities to win the game on Sunday. There was 4:06 left after Dez's catch was reversed giving the Cowboys enough time to stop Green Bay and get the ball back for a last ditch drive. Twice the Packers converted 3rd downs. With 2:00 minutes to play the Packers converted a 3rd and 11 due to a missed tackle and that play sealed the game. We all need to just let this go and move on it's over and done with.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
I watched the play, read the rule and came to a conclusion read my posts! It's ludicrous to think because the replay official is from Steelers country that swayed his decision especially when Blandino was looking in on the play to give his opinion. The NFL is trying to get these calls right and no crew or official is going to purposely screw a team on a call with millions of people watching and the play being scrutinized by so many people. Officiating crews get persecuted and some refs have even received death threats for making mistakes. Refs take pride in what they do and want to be respected not be bashed on every sports Network for making a mistake in from of a Nationally televised audience.

They do their best but these are judgement calls and everyone sees things differently. The Cowboys had plenty of opportunities to win the game on Sunday. There was 4:06 left after Dez's catch was reversed giving the Cowboys enough time to stop Green Bay and get the ball back for a last ditch drive. Twice the Packers converted 3rd downs. With 2:00 minutes to play the Packers converted a 3rd and 11 due to a missed tackle and that play sealed the game. We all need to just let this go and move on it's over and done with.

fair enough.

but i wouldn't underestimate the influence of someones environment. he grew up when steelers and cowboys fans hated each other. it was more steelers hating cowboys too. I grew up around that area. They HATE the cowboys. to this day. Its a stretch though for me to imply any wrongdoing. But make no mistake. There is money involved here.

Refs are people. Just like everybody else. You have good ones and bad ones......
maybe he saw "his" chance?

either way. He made the wrong call. It was the wrong call.

was there a chance that it was an incomplete pass? Sure.
was there enough on film to over turn the call made on the field? No Way.

The NFL will back it up, they don't really have a choice. But no way was there enough there without any doubt what so ever, to over turn that play. no sir.

You mention we had plenty of opportunities to win, and we did. But there is another pretty decent team on the field. To think we weren't going to lose any battles or make mistakes is naive to me. Its a Fight. We needed to fight back. And we did.

We moved the ball down field to get into a position to win the game. With the game on the line we gambled a little and went for it. We put one up for our Best Player. Dez. And he did exactly what Garrett and Romo and Company thought he would do. He made the catch! He got the ball!

And it was called back because of why again? Have you really listened to the explanations? The NFL is in full blown CYA mode....but even they are starting to say, "well maybe we should review this rule" ...... Ya think?

And I do think the D would've came up with a little extra something if we had scored. The offense is our bread and butter. It would have changed the game if we had scored.....who knows what happens next.

And I dont think Cobb catches that pass on the 3rd and 13 without the ball being tipped. It was kind of a fluke play imho. combine that with the 30 some odd extra seconds and we would've had a legitimate shot to try again...,,,,

imho, this season we got robbed. We have beat the Seahawks, Colts, and the Packers. Never had a shot at NE.

we got robbed. one of the worst calls I have ever seen!!

But you are right......time to move on. But I will never let this one go. Never.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
the crew working tonights national championship game is way better than any NFL crew i saw this year...they look at the replays and make quick decisions and get the right

LittleLexodus

Reaction score

What is the definition of contacting the ground? Does he need to show undoubted possession until he stops sliding on the grass? Does he need to stand up on his feet and show the ball to the refs?

mahoneybill

Reaction score
I would love to know Blandino's roots. There is a mafia connection somewhere. How does a guy who has zero field officiating experience wind up in that job?

Read elsewhere that he is the developer/possible owner of the replay technology used by the league.

I guess since he was never a ref as I understand it , that they feel they have the best person in this position based on his technical knowledge....

I for one don't agree with that....

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I watched the play, read the rule and came to a conclusion read my posts!
You aren't following the correct rule to start out with. This is the rule to determine possession. This is the rule Steratore claims he was using. He claims he looked for a football move. This is also the rule used by the ref on the field who deemed it was a completed pass that was advanced to the 1 and was down by contact.

Rule 8, Section 1. Article 3 of the rule explains that a pass is completed when he secures control of the ball with his hands or arms, touches the ground with both feet or any other body part (other than his hands), and maintains control long enough to allow him to perform “any act common to the game,” which includes having the ball long enough to “pitch it, pass it, advance with it, or avoid or ward off an opponent.”

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Rule 8, Section 1. Article 3 of the rule explains that a pass is completed when he secures control of the ball with his hands or arms, touches the ground with both feet or any other body part (other than his hands), and maintains control long enough to allow him to perform “any act common to the game,” which includes having the ball long enough to “pitch it, pass it, advance with it, or avoid or ward off an opponent.”
In theory, the defender could have knocked the ball out of Dez's hands after the 3rd step, and if it goes out of bounds it's a catch and fumble and Dallas' ball at that point.

The trip by the defender is what changed everything. Although the field judge ruled correctly that Dez had made the catch and was down by contact (see sig), McCarthy probably challenged that the ball came out at the end, so that's all the replay official was looking for. There's no other reason I can think of for the replay official to ignore the contact by the defender, unless he's simply not looking for it.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You aren't following the correct rule to start out with. This is the rule to determine possession. This is the rule Steratore claims he was using. He claims he looked for a football move. This is also the rule used by the ref on the field who deemed it was a completed pass that was advanced to the 1 and was down by contact.

I'm following the right rule and the rule states a receiver "who's going to the ground" must hold onto the ball throughout entire process of contacting the ground and Dez didn't. As Dez was going to the ground as he was making the catch once he had the ball controlled he lunged to put the ball over the goal line and when the ball contacted the ground it came loose and Dez had to regain control of it. Once the ball touched the ground and came loose by rule that's an incomplete pass. I don't agree with the rule but that's the rule! The mistake the league is making is saying that Dez didn't make a football move or a move common to the game which is BS! He clearly caught the football and made a football move but it was the ball coming loose when it contacted the ground that caused the incompletion. If the league would have stuck with that and not said he didn't make a football move I don't think there would be as much controversy.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I'm following the right rule and rule states a receiver "who's going to the ground" must hold onto the ball throughout entire process of contacting the ground and Dez didn't. As Dez was going to the ground as he was making the catch once he had the ball controlled he lunged to put the ball over the goal line and when the ball contacted the ground it came loose and Dez had to regain control of it. Once the ball touched the ground and came loose by rule that's an incomplete pass. I don't agree with the rule but that's the rule! The mistake the league is making is saying that Dez didn't make a football move or a move common to the game which is BS! He clearly caught the football and made a football move but it was the ball coming loose when it contacted the ground that caused the incompletion. If the league would have stuck with that and not said he didn't make a football move I don't think there would be as much controversy.

No you are not following the correct rule. A football move negates ever needing to look at that rule. You can even read Steratore's comments that he looked for a football move.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
No you are not following the correct rule. A football move negates ever needing to look at that rule. You can even read Steratore's comments that he looked for a football move.

I am following the correct rule and regardless if a receiver makes a football move if they're in the process of going to the ground during a catch they have to hold onto the ball throughout the entire process of contacting the ground.