Donovan McNabb: Medicore at Best

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
Except for the partial season last year when McNabb had Owens before the injury, the man has never had an offense around him....NEVER.

McNabb is the offense and has been the offense through several NFC Championship games and 5 straight pro bowl appearances.

For two years, he has had no running game at all. Westbrook is a great 3rd down back and a threat, but he's not a 20-25 carry back who can take pressure off the QB.

They've never had 2 even average receivers. Last year it was Owens...period, end of story. Now, this year, no running game and no one to throw the ball to.

Sorry, but I think McNabb has done wonders with that team. Put Aikman or Bledsoe in Philly with no running game, frequently injured TE's, and WRs like Pinkston & Mitchell. Tell me how either of them would have made it to the NFC championship game.

I'm not saying McNabb is in Aikman's class, but he brings certain skills to that offense that Aikman and Bledsoe would not...skills that are the only way to be successful with the pitiful skilled athletes around him.
Aikman, Farve, Brady, these guys make recievers better. Harper did nothing when he left, Farve has made stars out of numerous recievers, and look at Brady's corp. McNabb hasn't done that. I would also blame Andy Reid. There is a reason Westbrrok isn't a 20-25 carry back, because no one has given him the ball that many times. They are a pass first offense. Period. Now they have to livve with the consequences.

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
The writer of this article is an *** moron. McNabb is the 2nd best QB in the NFL, behind peyton manning. What's mediocre about (average per 16 games - 1 full season)

22 TD passes
4 Rushing TDs
11 INTs
3300 yards passing

And a career 84.1 rating

Not a thing, that's what. And these stats are counting his rookie year, which drags down the stats for all QBs. You throw out the rook season and the numbers are even more impressive

I think we are all pretty much in agreement that if we got 3300 yards, 26 TDs, and 11 Ints out of the QB spot that'd be pretty spiffy.

joseephuss

Reaction score
trickblue said:
It really hacks me off when knuckleheads write articles and don't check easy to find stats...

It was 35 points in the second quarter. The Conference champs in 2000, 2001, and 2002 were St. Louis, NYFG and St. Louis respectively. Williams retired in 1989 with no additional division championships (finishing 3rd both years), let alone conference championships. Incidentally, Timmy Smith, with 204 rushing yards, should have been the MVP.

The writer did a poor job of making any points. I think the conference championships he is referring to are for Grambling football coached under Doug Williams. I don't know why that matters because McNabb hasn't retired yet and become a coach.

2much2soon

Reaction score
joseephuss said:
The writer did a poor job of making any points. I think the conference championships he is referring to are for Grambling football coached under Doug Williams. I don't know why that matters because McNabb hasn't retired yet and become a coach.

Thats what I gathered, also, though its a nonsensical comparison.

The comments another poster made about iggles players going to TO's
birthday party are very telling about the way the iggle's organization
does business.
I had the perception that the whole team hated TO and I think that
perception came for iggles management. That its not the case reflects
very poorly on Reid, Banner, etc.
Of course, I haven't thought much of Fat Andy since he pulled the cheapo
onsides kick a few years back.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
joseephuss said:
Mediocre? I think that is strong. I can see your arguement points to him not being one of the best, but he is better than mediocre. There are plenty of mediocre QBs and their teams aren't going to 4 straight NFC championship games and 1 Superbowl.
See my NFC east comparison. Lost every big game that counted with a great defense and strong team.

Mediocre implies any many other QBs could step in and do what he did and the facts bear that. His backups went 4-1 or 5-1 those years the Philly D was dominant carrying the team too.

He wouldn't upgrade the Cowboys or Giants in 2005 or 2006, i'm confident about that. Maybe not even the skins if Brunell beats us down again sunday. Sorry.

joseephuss

Reaction score
chinch said:
See my NFC east comparison. Lost every big game that counted with a great defense and strong team.

Mediocre implies any many other QBs could step in and do what he did and the facts bear that. His backups went 4-1 or 5-1 those years the Philly D was dominant carrying the team too.

He wouldn't upgrade the Cowboys or Giants in 2005 or 2006, i'm confident about that. Maybe not even the skins if Brunell beats us down again sunday. Sorry.

Don't apologize. That is just your opinion. I disagree. Dallas would have been better the last 5 years with a healty McNabb in my opinion. I respect that people disagree with how they rate McNabb as a player. The thing that irked me about this article was the writer brought up race when it has no bearing on the situation. The color of McNabb's skin has no bearing on whether he is a mediocre QB or a good QB or even a very bad QB. This it the leader of the NAACP in Philly. He doesn't sound like much of a leader to me.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Charles said:
Wow....everything else is debatable, but the above paragraphs :bow:

McNabb has always been the fair-haired poster boy for the organization and the league in general. Everyone comes running to his defense like he was wearing a pretty pink dress and tied to the railroad tracks while some villian was twisting his moustache at his peril.

He got the pity card played when he was booed when drafted, got worse with the Rush Limbaugh situation and then Owens.

This character who wrote this is somewhat mad, but there is a sliver of truth that everyone has ignored and it is that McNabb is a product of an image machine.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Paniolo22 said:
Aikman, Farve, Brady, these guys make recievers better. Harper did nothing when he left, Farve has made stars out of numerous recievers, and look at Brady's corp. McNabb hasn't done that. I would also blame Andy Reid. There is a reason Westbrrok isn't a 20-25 carry back, because no one has given him the ball that many times. They are a pass first offense. Period. Now they have to livve with the consequences.
In any QB in the NFL could make Pinkston and Mitchell starting WRs, they'd have jobs...McNabb went to the championship with Westbrook at RB and those guys as his WRs....I think that says a lot.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
In any QB in the NFL could make Pinkston and Mitchell starting WRs, they'd have jobs...McNabb went to the championship with Westbrook at RB and those guys as his WRs....I think that says a lot.

I agree. McNabb for the most part has been great for Philly and I find it strange how some have turned on him based on this 1 season. To me part of it is the destructive power of T.O. that has brought many issue up that were not an issue in the past. One more reason why I say No to T.O.

lspain1

Reaction score
I disagree with the article in so many ways, I hardly know what to select. McNabb is not a perfect NFL QB. No one is. He has led that team to a fair number of winning seasons. Yes he had good defenses and was facing a particuarly weak NFC East as he was doing it but isn't it the results that matter? I watched McNabb in that last game with the Cowboys. Injured as he was, his mobility and ability to wait to the last possible second to throw was still very impressive.

If the opportunity to swap him even up for Bledsoe for next season came along I'd take it in a heartbeat.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
joseephuss said:
The color of McNabb's skin has no bearing on whether he is a mediocre QB or a good QB or even a very bad QB. This it the leader of the NAACP in Philly. He doesn't sound like much of a leader to me.
I can't speak for the author, and already said it was "misguided bashing" on page 1. It's not the leadership style i'd vote for, but then again McNabb is no leader either if you watch with a critical eye. He's a yes man for Andy and Co who coddled and babied him and shoehorned him into a system. Given a premature contract extension as other teammates were stonewalled. Yes i'm bitter the cowboys were HORRIBLE for the past half decade and helped Philly dominate the Least, but i consider myself unbiased on evaluating his QB skills. Each of us sees different things in a QB there is no doubt about it. I told some Eagle-zealot friends in his second season Donny would never win a big game or a superbowl and so far my prediction is going strong. Thankfully he never improved as a QB. I'd hate to see Philly with 2-3 rings. LOL.

I just don't see anything in his "quarterbacking". Maybe if they had a better, more accurate passer (more adept at short passing attacks of Andy) they'd have had a more balanced attack and won a big game. We'll never know :)

conner01

Reaction score
mcnabb has never had an wr's to throw to except t.o., pinkston and mitchell are'nt nfl wr's. heck mitchell can't even get a job as a ball boy. i don't know about being the 2nd best be he ceetainly is in the top 5 or 6 in the nfl.it can't be luck when you do it year after year.he has great numbers, does'nt cause his team problems. mcnabb play for the enemy and i'm just tickled about their season but it was'nt mcnabbs fault. he has done alot with nothing for the last several years.as for his accuracy it is right there with the top guys in the league. a little over 58%

wileedog

Reaction score
lspain1 said:
If the opportunity to swap him even up for Bledsoe for next season came along I'd take it in a heartbeat.

I honestly wouldn't if his contract came along with the deal.

And while I'm not a big McNabb fan by any stretch, this article is mostly tripe.

Give some of his bonus to TO and Westbrook? Aren't the Eagles like $15M under the cap? Why should McNabb pay out a penny?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
wileedog said:

And while I'm not a big McNabb fan by any stretch, this article is mostly tripe.

Give some of his bonus to TO and Westbrook? Aren't the Eagles like $15M under the cap? Why should McNabb pay out a penny?

I agree. What I find interesting is while the focus has been on McNabb and the Philly offense as the reason for the down fall, I think the defense of Philly has not played great all season long yet little is said about how the Philly defense has slipped this year.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I agree. What I find interesting is while the focus has been on McNabb and the Philly offense as the reason for the down fall, I think the defense of Philly has not played great all season long yet little is said about how the Philly defense has slipped this year.

I don't think it was just the performance of the Eagles this season. The turmoil started after the choking in the Super Bowl rumors first came out. I think McNabb played pretty well this year considering (and except for the Roy Williams pass :) ).

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
This is insane.

Randy Galloway is having a show on this right now. As he says, he doesn't understand why people would attack McNabb... Espececially those in Philly and even more especially, Eagles teammates. He asked african-american guys to call in and try to explain it, and one of the first two callers said he thinks McNabb is an "Uncle Tom" and that he knows some Eagles players think so, too.

What the heck is that all about? Even if he's not an all-time great, he's a VERY good QB in the current league. What is all the "Uncle Tom" and racial stuff about? I don't get it.

Uh-Oh

Reaction score
What the heck is that all about? Even if he's not an all-time great, he's a VERY good QB in the current league. What is all the "Uncle Tom" and racial stuff about? I don't get it.
An "Uncle Tom" is a black man who dares to be happy. At least that's what *****es like Mondesire want us to believe.

jem88

Reaction score
trickblue said:
It really hacks me off when knuckleheads write articles and don't check easy to find stats...

It was 35 points in the second quarter. The Conference champs in 2000, 2001, and 2002 were St. Louis, NYFG and St. Louis respectively. Williams retired in 1989 with no additional division championships (finishing 3rd both years), let alone conference championships. Incidentally, Timmy Smith, with 204 rushing yards, should have been the MVP.
Yeah, it's really hard to take seriously an article that is so badly-written. Even if it was meant to have read "1990, 1991, and 1992," it still would have been incorrect. A total joke.

jem88

Reaction score
wileedog said:

I also think the guy completely misses the point. T.O. was unhappy because he felt his contract didn't reflect his stature as the best WR in the league (I don't agree but that's how I believe he felt.) I honestly don't think T.O. felt he needed more money, he just wanted more respect, something he equates with money. McNabb sharing his bonus would have done little to placate T.O.'s demands. In fact T.O. probably would've felt patronized.

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
Brady won the Superbowl with Antwoin Smith as his running back and Troy Brown and David Patten. The difference is the QB play made those players better. Pinkston was a 2nd round pick and Mitchell a 1st rounder. They should have been better players if McNabb were a better leader and overall, a better QB.