Donovan McNabb: Medicore at Best

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
Paniolo22 said:
Brady won the Superbowl with Antwoin Smith as his running back and Troy Brown and David Patten. The difference is the QB play made those players better. Pinkston was a 2nd round pick and Mitchell a 1st rounder. They should have been better players if McNabb were a better leader and overall, a better QB.
Don't misunderstand when I say better QB. I think he is pretty good, but I definitely DO NOT think he is a top 3-5 QB. Top 10 probably, but not top 5.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:
This is insane.

Randy Galloway is having a show on this right now. As he says, he doesn't understand why people would attack McNabb... Espececially those in Philly and even more especially, Eagles teammates. He asked african-american guys to call in and try to explain it, and one of the first two callers said he thinks McNabb is an "Uncle Tom" and that he knows some Eagles players think so, too.

It traces back to the fact of the matter that McNabb has been embraced by the mostly white media. Like it or not, Limbaugh said it first with the "media is desirous". Doug Williams never received close to the media fawning and in fact, many outlets conveniently forget he was one of the pioneers (and a Super Bowl winner), like James Harris and Joe Gilliam. McNabb is the first AA QB who was a media darling. And he is defended tooth and nail and always has been.

What the heck is that all about? Even if he's not an all-time great, he's a VERY good QB in the current league. What is all the "Uncle Tom" and racial stuff about? I don't get it.

The "Uncle Tom" references are more than likely directed to that idea. Unlike many AA QBs who somewhat allowed themselves to perpetuate the "victim" mentality that perpetuates stereotyping, McNabb chose to in essence switch sides and "sell out" rather than complain about his lot in life. Doug Williams was very much an isolationist and has turned down many overtures from the NFL to remain at Grambling. Ozzie Newsome faces some of the same "Uncle Tom" insults. It is nothing new.

dfense

Reaction score
You're right. Any fool would want a QB with the talent McNabb has. Between his injury, T.O.'s crap and the continued decline of that team, it just was a bad year for him.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
dfense said:
You're right. Any fool would want a QB with the talent McNabb has. Between his injury, T.O.'s crap and the continued decline of that team, it just was a bad year for him.

I agree. I think the hit he took in week 1 against Alt took as much of a toll on him as the sports hernia

joseephuss

Reaction score
Alexander said:
It traces back to the fact of the matter that McNabb has been embraced by the mostly white media. Like it or not, Limbaugh said it first with the "media is desirous". Doug Williams never received close to the media fawning and in fact, many outlets conveniently forget he was one of the pioneers (and a Super Bowl winner), like James Harris and Joe Gilliam. McNabb is the first AA QB who was a media darling. And he is defended tooth and nail and always has been.

The "Uncle Tom" references are more than likely directed to that idea. Unlike many AA QBs who somewhat allowed themselves to perpetuate the "victim" mentality that perpetuates stereotyping, McNabb chose to in essence switch sides and "sell out" rather than complain about his lot in life. Doug Williams was very much an isolationist and has turned down many overtures from the NFL to remain at Grambling. Ozzie Newsome faces some of the same "Uncle Tom" insults. It is nothing new.

What exactly has McNabb done to "sell out"? That is the part that I am missing. The guy that wrote the article makes it seem that McNabb not running the ball as much as years past is the reason he is a "sell out". That doesn't make sense. He is injured. Plus he became a better QB when he passed the ball more. Not a better black QB, just a better QB. He still had the option to run, but did more damage buying time and throwing the ball down field. This year, the injuries took away from his option to run. Doug Williams didn't look to only run. He was a pocket passer.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
joseephuss said:
What exactly has McNabb done to "sell out"? That is the part that I am missing. The guy that wrote the article makes it seem that McNabb not running the ball as much as years past is the reason he is a "sell out". That doesn't make sense. He is injured. Plus he became a better QB when he passed the ball more. Not a better black QB, just a better QB. He still had the option to run, but did more damage buying time and throwing the ball down field. This year, the injuries took away from his option to run. Doug Williams didn't look to only run. He was a pocket passer.

He has not "sold out" to the institutionalized standard that he must be disgruntled, angry and bitter at a mostly white society. Notice how many times he was called out for having the Campbell's soup endorsement deal?

Did Michael Jordan ever get called out for marketing Nike?

Also the "sell out" comment is pure ignorance to begin with and only perpetuates the myth that a black QB has to be mobile. It is living right now with Michael Vick, but what about Daunte Culpepper or Byron Leftwich? Or Williams before them who could not run if you paid him?

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
"sell out" from my philly-fan friends is basically... towing the corporate line in Philly.

taking a HUGE BLOATED $110 mil contract then catering to Lur-Ban's penny-pinching ways never helping other players along as the Eagles built a new stadium and remained $10-15mil under cap. Also his being babied and held on a leash by Reid never speaking out agains the absurdity (too much passing, need of #1 WR prior to TO, etc.)..

joseephuss

Reaction score
Alexander said:
He has not "sold out" to the institutionalized standard that he must be disgruntled, angry and bitter at a mostly white society. Notice how many times he was called out for having the Campbell's soup endorsement deal?

Did Michael Jordan ever get called out for marketing Nike?

Also the "sell out" comment is pure ignorance to begin with and only perpetuates the myth that a black QB has to be mobile. It is living right now with Michael Vick, but what about Daunte Culpepper or Byron Leftwich? Or Williams before them who could not run if you paid him?

Exactly.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Alexander said:
Doug Williams was very much an isolationist and has turned down many overtures from the NFL to remain at Grambling. Ozzie Newsome faces some of the same "Uncle Tom" insults. It is nothing new.

Doug Williams is no longer the head coach at Grambling... he is now the Personnel Executive with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers...

joseephuss

Reaction score
chinch said:
"sell out" from my philly-fan friends is basically... towing the corporate line in Philly.

taking a HUGE BLOATED $110 mil contract then catering to Lur-Ban's penny-pinching ways never helping other players along as the Eagles built a new stadium and remained $10-15mil under cap. Also his being babied and held on a leash by Reid never speaking out agains the absurdity (too much passing, need of #1 WR prior to TO, etc.)..

T.O. called McNabb out for saying the Eagles would have to win without him last year when he was injured. What was McNabb supposed to say? McNabb may not be the best QB or best person, but I don't see where he deserves all this criticsm coming from all directions. Most of it has nothing to do with what he does on the field either.

Mike 1967

Reaction score
joseephuss said:
T.O. called McNabb out for saying the Eagles would have to win without him last year when he was injured. What was McNabb supposed to say? McNabb may not be the best QB or best person, but I don't see where he deserves all this criticsm coming from all directions. Most of it has nothing to do with what he does on the field either.

McNabb has a couple of problems

(1) He is viewed as the leader of this team....and this team has consistently fallen short (like the Buffalo Bills)

(2) McNabb was called out by two players on his team for "choking" under pressure. And both of them were black teammates.

(3) McNabb threw up at a critical point in the SB loss....when the pressure was at it's highest. This incident was confirmed by several players...including the center.

(4) McNabb's last play of this year was a game changing interception to Roy Williams. This was a critical game for philly. It was the first game following the suspension of TO and it was a must win game against their most hated rival. McNabb had the opportunity to show that he could lead this team without TO....and his was the play that cost them the game.

McNabb has a very very big gorilla on his back right now.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
joseephuss said:

I agree and could not believe it when T.O. was upset by the comment from McNabb. I did not think McNabb was being negative towards T.O. but trying to tell his teammates we can win without T.O.. As you said what was McNabb suppose to do tell his team? Well guys T.O. is injured might as well pack our bags.

TunaFan33

Benched
Reaction score
ALL the Iggles needed was a GOOD receiver, not necessarily a TO-TYPE one.

Derrick Mason would have done this team wonders as well.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Mike 1967 said:

(1) He is viewed as the leader of this team....and this team has consistently fallen short (like the Buffalo Bills)

(2) McNabb was called out by two players on his team for "choking" under pressure. And both of them were black teammates.

(3) McNabb threw up at a critical point in the SB loss....when the pressure was at it's highest. This incident was confirmed by several players...including the center.

(4) McNabb's last play of this year was a game changing interception to Roy Williams. This was a critical game for philly. It was the first game following the suspension of TO and it was a must win game against their most hated rival. McNabb had the opportunity to show that he could lead this team without TO....and his was the play that cost them the game.

It will be interesting to see if McNabb can get his team back. I will say those are some cruddy teammates. I don't recall any of the Buffalo players coming down on Jim Kelly that way.

Mike 1967

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
It will be interesting to see if McNabb can get his team back. I will say those are some cruddy teammates. I don't recall any of the Buffalo players coming down on Jim Kelly that way.

Yeah...both of those guys that were criticizing him were/are complete primadonna jerks IMO

And I don't remember the Bills pointing fingers either. Which speaks to the character of the team as a whole.

As much as I dislike the eagles....part of me will be rooting for McNabb....even though I despise him for all of those touchdown celebrations that are burned into my memory. :banghead:

If the fans continue to turn on him...then what I would really like to see him come to the cowboys and have a hall of fame second half to his career.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Mike 1967 said:

I agree with criticisms directed to his on the field play. No problems with that. It was everything else.

Just to share some facts. McNabb came back in the game against Dallas after the interception. They went 3 and out. Also, TO was suspended prior to the Washington game the week before playing Dallas.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Mike 1967 said:
Yeah...both of those guys that were criticizing him were/are complete primadonna jerks IMO

And I don't remember the Bills pointing fingers either. Which speaks to the character of the team as a whole.

As much as I dislike the eagles....part of me will be rooting for McNabb....even though I despise him for all of those touchdown celebrations that are burned into my memory. :banghead:

If the fans continue to turn on him...then what I would really like to see him come to the cowboys and have a hall of fame second half to his career.

I would agree except for 1 thing, the next Cowboys QB I'm hoping will be a much younger man. I love having Bledsoe here but I hope Dallas can find a young QB who can step in the day Bledsoe steps out. McNabb does not fit that bill in my mind.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
joseephuss said:
He has a knack for phrasing things poorly.

"Yah we're gonna miss TO and i pray to god he'll be playing again soon but we're gonna try and get to the big dance and maybe he can join us there again and take home a Lombardi".

that sounds alot better than the mumbo-jumbo he said and still says.

I think he deserves alot more criticism than he's gotten as an actual QB. His passing, etc. is often laughable (balls thrown to people's feet, etc.) Nevermind he played 90% of his games in the lead or with a D that gave up minimal points (imagine if he played on Dallas with our OL and defense since 1990... ROTF).

From a philly player perspective McNabb sat back and cheerleaded the Eagles PR department, got a $115 raise (mid contract) while riding the COATTAILS of his teams DEFENSE. He was never the leader or true MVP of his team (TO was last year). It's very easy to see the discontent when you look outside "DONNY IS ON THE COVER OF MADDEN" mentality of the mainstream press.

Mike 1967

Reaction score
joseephuss said:
I agree with criticisms directed to his on the field play. No problems with that. It was everything else.

Just to share some facts. McNabb came back in the game against Dallas after the interception. They went 3 and out. Also, TO was suspended prior to the Washington game the week before playing Dallas.

my bad memory....I thought that the guy from Detroit (forgot his name) came in on the next series.

But I think you are right....McNabb came in on the next series.....but he looked totally awful and it was obvious that he was hurting from that missed tackle and block on the Roy TD return.

Mike 1967

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I would agree except for 1 thing, the next Cowboys QB I'm hoping will be a much younger man. I love having Bledsoe here but I hope Dallas can find a young QB who can step in the day Bledsoe steps out. McNabb does not fit that bill in my mind.

Yea.....McNabbs best days may be behind him anyway.

He has always been a very physical QB. One that could take a hit...break out of the tackle and still make a play.

But he seems to possibly be breaking down (physically) due to the number of injuries.

And if he loses his "mobility" or "athleticism" due to physical issues...then he is not going to be nearly as effective. He always beat us with his ability to scramble, break tackles and buy extra time.