Donovan McNabb: Medicore at Best

TobiasEagle77

Reaction score
I don't usually do this. It's not worth the time.
Dat mans bro said:
Your record is another matter entirely. In fact this whole dismal season so far has really been a testament of fallen dreams and lost opportunities most of which belongs at your feet
I really wish he'd elaborate on how it's all McNabb's fault.
Dat mans bro said:
And trying to disguise that fact behind some concocted reasoning that African American quarterbacks who can scramble and who can run the ball are somehow lesser field generals than one who can summon up dead-on passes at a whim is more insulting off the field than on.
Where is he coming up with this? When did Donovan say these things?
Dat mans bro said:
However, in your last five games, you connected on just 101 of 183 passes (55.2 percent) for 1,174 yards and five touchdowns, while throwing six interceptions, two of which clearly were game losers.
In a slump, with a sports hernia and other injuries, McNabb had a 70.3 qb rating. Shoot the guy. No other qb has had such a slump :rolleyes:
Dat mans bro said:
You choked brother.
Alright. I don't even disagree with this. In fact, LJ Smith, Westbrook, Lito Sheppard, Corey Simon, Brian Dawkins, and Trotter all choked in that game as well.
McNabb played a "bad" game. But "bad" is a relative term, so I'd like people to relate McNabb's performance to other QBs performances against the Patriots defense. They get in peoples heads. They make them choke. I'm not going to put the numbers up, you all can do that yourself.
Start with Peyton Manning and Ben Roethlesburger.
End with Drew Bledsoe.
Dat mans bro said:
So, for you to continue to deny we fans (as well as yourself) one of the strongest elements of your game by claiming that "everybody expects black quarterbacks to scramble"
McNabb tried to scramble later in the year, after TO went down. He clearly did not have the same ability as a scrambler this year with the injuries. He didn't look any more dangerous as a scrambler than Mark Bulger does.
Dat mans bro said:
Just think how the whole media circus could have been avoided had you had the courage to offer only a tiny fraction of your bonus this year to Owens and running back, Brian Westbrook.
This is, perhaps, the most irrelevant and ******** statement in the entire article.

The Eagles are approximately 12 million under the cap.

They had the money to pay Owens and Westbrook. THEY DIDN"T NEED THE MONEY.

jay cee

Reaction score
Alexander said:
McNabb has always been the fair-haired poster boy for the organization and the league in general. Everyone comes running to his defense like he was wearing a pretty pink dress and tied to the railroad tracks while some villian was twisting his moustache at his peril.

He got the pity card played when he was booed when drafted, got worse with the Rush Limbaugh situation and then Owens.

This character who wrote this is somewhat mad, but there is a sliver of truth that everyone has ignored and it is that McNabb is a product of an image machine.
Name a player that has done lots of commercials that is not a product of an image machine.
Lawrence Taylor even plays up his bad boy image.

TobiasEagle77

Reaction score
After reading the article, I went on to read most of the thread, and by and large I think you guys are being pretty fair assessing McNabb.

He's not above reproach. His mechanics are very poor. His accuracy, I would label inconsistent. This year he's played uncharacteristically poorly, which I attribute to injury and mental... lapses. He focused on the big play too often, instead of managing the game.

He also does alot of things. I believe he does make receivers better. Chad Lewis was cut by the Cardinals. Two years later, him and McNabb join each other in the pro-bowl. Greg Lewis was undrafted, didn't even start in college. He went on to score a TD in the superbowl, and was a starter for McNabb this year. Freddie Mitchell was a bust who refused to run routes as designed in the playbook. He can't even find himself on an NFL roster. Pinkston helped McNabb out a little, unless it required taking a hit.

Cowboys fans know what McNabb can and can't do. I don't need to tell them. I'd probably agree with most of what you guys think of him, except the common belief that he can't win a SB.

Canadian BoyzFan

Reaction score
chinch said:
mcnabb is mediocre for sure. most people without any other motivations except pure football honesty would surmise that. unfortunately that is misguided bashing in many places. donny is a nice enough and likeable guy but he had free reign over the NFC least for 3-4 years and it's now over.

From a football standpoint, next year i'd rather have TO on our team w/ Bledsoe than Donny and our current WRs ... 6 days a week and twice on sundays i'd make that call. sorry.

Post of the week!!!!!

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Man, Mcnabb is under attack from all sides and needs to start wearing a flack jacket.

Article was harsh but it will get tons of readers talking, which is the point of this article.

I still say Mcnabb is a Top 5 Quarterback in this league and was instrumental in bringing T.O. along in Philly.

I would love to see this guy play for the Cowboys. You saw what he could do when you gave him a receiver and a dynamic back like Westbrook.

This article is TRADITION for us black folks

As soon as one of us makes it, we try our best to tear em down.

- Mike G.

Wolverine

Zimmer Hater
Reaction score
mickgreen58 said:
Man, Mcnabb is under attack from all sides and needs to start wearing a flack jacket.

Article was harsh but it will get tons of readers talking, which is the point of this article.

I still say Mcnabb is a Top 5 Quarterback in this league and was instrumental in bringing T.O. along in Philly.

I would love to see this guy play for the Cowboys. You saw what he could do when you gave him a receiver and a dynamic back like Westbrook.

This article is TRADITION for us black folks

As soon as one of us makes it, we try our best to tear em down.

- Mike G.

I hope that what this idiot wrote is saved. So that way if there is ever a Hall of Idiots for sports writers this should would easily get this writer in on the 1st ballot.

I guess he forgot how McNabb has lead the team to 4 straight NFC Championships and a Super Bowl. I guess he does not notice how the team is nothing now that he is gone and injured.

This writer say how McNabb should be givin up some of his money for the team. Well I would like to see how this writer would react if some people told him he needed to take a pay cut so that way they could use his money to pay a new writer they wanted to hire. Oh I would love to see that reaction.

I would love it if this guy owned the Eagles. He would be dumb nuff to cut McNabb and I would love for us to sign him. I like Bledsoe but McNabb is better.

Please someone make the Eagle sell the team to this clueless moron who wrote this garbage.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Wolverine said:
I hope that what this idiot wrote is saved. So that way if there is ever a Hall of Idiots for sports writers this should would easily get this writer in on the 1st ballot.

I guess he forgot how McNabb has lead the team to 4 straight NFC Championships and a Super Bowl. I guess he does not notice how the team is nothing now that he is gone and injured.

This writer say how McNabb should be givin up some of his money for the team. Well I would like to see how this writer would react if some people told him he needed to take a pay cut so that way they could use his money to pay a new writer they wanted to hire. Oh I would love to see that reaction.

I would love it if this guy owned the Eagles. He would be dumb nuff to cut McNabb and I would love for us to sign him. I like Bledsoe but McNabb is better.

Please someone make the Eagle sell the team to this clueless moron who wrote this garbage.

Yepp

Booed at Draft Day

Booed on the field when they played us the last game

Ripped by Rush

Ripped by T.O.

Ripped by FedEX Freddie

Now ripped by the NAACP

The old saying, "You never ever appreciate something until it is gone" comes to mind.

Im sure they long for the days of Brister and Hoying.

The crew on MNF showed the QBs with the highest Winning Percentage currently, it went Tom Brady, Donovan Mcnabb and then Michal Vick. Funny thing is, these are the poster children for the anti-anything-positive guys.

Brady is overrated and all of his success is because he has a genius at coach.

Mcnabb is overrated cant throw, his mvp type season was because of Owens, he has had easy schedules and it was all about Jim Johnson and that defense.

Vick is overrated and a halfback playing fullback, all his success is due to his defense.

All these guys do is win. Vick and McNabb havent had the success that Brady has, but few in the history of the NFL have. They do make their teams better and for the most part (excluding Vick and McNabb's 2005 year) their teams have gotten better each year.

Hopefully all 3 of these guys will laugh at all their critics after winning a super bowl and/or when being inducted into the Hall of Fame.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
what did Vick and McNabb win? ROTF... a couple of playoff games... whoop-de-doo. danny white did that here and he got ran out of town too! some of you guys obviously have selective memories.

Wolverine

Zimmer Hater
Reaction score
mickgreen58 said:
Yepp

Booed at Draft Day

Booed on the field when they played us the last game

Ripped by Rush

Ripped by T.O.

Ripped by FedEX Freddie

Now ripped by the NAACP

The old saying, "You never ever appreciate something until it is gone" comes to mind.

Im sure they long for the days of Brister and Hoying.

The crew on MNF showed the QBs with the highest Winning Percentage currently, it went Tom Brady, Donovan Mcnabb and then Michal Vick. Funny thing is, these are the poster children for the anti-anything-positive guys.

Brady is overrated and all of his success is because he has a genius at coach.

Mcnabb is overrated cant throw, his mvp type season was because of Owens, he has had easy schedules and it was all about Jim Johnson and that defense.

Vick is overrated and a halfback playing fullback, all his success is due to his defense.

All these guys do is win. Vick and McNabb havent had the success that Brady has, but few in the history of the NFL have. They do make their teams better and for the most part (excluding Vick and McNabb's 2005 year) their teams have gotten better each year.

Hopefully all 3 of these guys will laugh at all their critics after winning a super bowl and/or when being inducted into the Hall of Fame.

Unreal how McNabb is being attacked by everyone. Love or hate the Eagles any REAL football fan knows McNabb is a great QB.

It would be interesting to see how Peyton Manning would do in Philly and how McNabb would do with that great OL the Colts have and also Harrison and Edge.

When he is healthy McNabb is one of the top 5 QBs in the game easy. Like I said. If they hate him so much over there then let him go I would be glad to see him with a star on his helmet.

Cowboy Junkie

leonargized
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
It will be interesting to see if McNabb can get his team back. I will say those are some cruddy teammates. I don't recall any of the Buffalo players coming down on Jim Kelly that way.

Well said!!!
And if I was Philly management I would find out all that attended the T.O. party and they would be gone.....
If I had to rebuild around only Mcchunky and took huge cap hits to do it than so be it....
If those so called teammates can not get behind a guy like Mcchunky than dont let the soup cans hit you on the head on the way out......

You can say what you want about McChunky ,but he is definetley in managements corner .....

I think Mcnabb is a very good QB .. He carried Syracuse ,guy was a one man wrecking crew in college and in the NFL he has made some of the most outstanding plays that I have ever seen from the position...

I think There is no shame of losing by 3 in the SB to the Pats , heck lots of teams have lately.....
I do not think that is choking.... Thurman Thomas losing his helmet in the SB , now that could be construed as a choke....

I think Philly is just and have not been all that talented.
They have had great coaching and Mcnabb...
The seem to change defensive guys in and out every year and rely on their scheme, now I know Dawkins and a few others have been there a while ,but there have been few....

Getting back to the party , well the Freak has been more like a theif than a freak since going to philly ! He got his pay day now I think he has been on vacation ever since , he must have signed the contract and then told them where to mail his checks .....

kartr

Reaction score
DrewHensonSoonerNotLater said:
The writer of this article is an *** moron. McNabb is the 2nd best QB in the NFL, behind peyton manning. What's mediocre about (average per 16 games - 1 full season)

22 TD passes
4 Rushing TDs
11 INTs
3300 yards passing

And a career 84.1 rating

Not a thing, that's what. And these stats are counting his rookie year, which drags down the stats for all QBs. You throw out the rook season and the numbers are even more impressive

I think we are all pretty much in agreement that if we got 3300 yards, 26 TDs, and 11 Ints out of the QB spot that'd be pretty spiffy.

McNabb did a lot better than Manning did against the Pats last year. Manning had 2 first round WR's, a first round RB, a first round TE and the best pass blocking OL in the NFL and gets held to 6 points in the AFC title game and just 14 the year before. If anything, it's Manning who's overrated and McNabb is way underrated. The guy who does more with less is how I measure talent.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
NAACP president outraged by McNabb column

ESPN.com news services

The national president of the NAACP said Thursday that he was outraged by comments in a column about Donovan McNabb written by the Philadelphia chapter president.

NAACP president and CEO Bruce S. Gordon responded to the controversy caused by J. Whyatt Mondesire in his Nov. 27 column for the Philadelphia Sunday Sun. Mondesire, who owns the paper, criticized the Philadelphia Eagles quarterback's leadership skills and said he "played the race card" in explaining why he no longer runs the ball.

"Whatever possessed Mondesire to take such a negative position on a positive person like McNabb is beyond me," Gordon said. "The NAACP has many civil rights issues that require our attention. Criticizing Donovan McNabb is not one of them."

Mondesire said that his column critical of McNabb was based on his opinions alone and did not necessarily reflect the position of either the local Philadelphia NAACP or that of the national organization.

Earlier in the week, McNabb responded sharply to the column, which called him "mediocre at best."

"If you talk about my play, that's one thing," McNabb told the Philadelphia Inquirer. "When you talk about my race, now we've got problems. If you're trying to make a name off my name, again, I hope your closet is clean because something is going to come out about you ... I always thought the NAACP supported African Americans and didn't talk bad about them. Now you learn a little bit more."

Gordon will try to repair some of the damage.

"In light of Mondesire's criticism it has become a personal priority of mine to set the record straight," Gordon said. "I intend to reach out to Mr. McNabb personally to offer my apology as well as my support."

McNabb's season ended last month when he decided to have surgery for a sports hernia. It's been a miserable year for the five-time Pro Bowl selection, starting with his feud with now-banished wideout Terrell Owens.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2260096