Donovan Wilson practicing

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Hopefully this means Heath’s days as a starter are numbered.

Most likely Wilson takes in the box SS duties, while Heath keeps coverage duties for deep zone.

Heath is bad in the box, but Frazier could never unseat him. They'll be happy to give Wilson the shot. I think he played a lot of slot too, so he shouldn't be the man coverage liability near the LOS that Heath is.

Who is "the starter" isn't that meaningful. Two different roles. They should split time.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You just stop now. Lol. Most of our O-Line were blue chip players and Elliot is Elliot. And Gallup was one of our only descent WR last year.

Agreed on all that, but that's kind of the point. Lower draft picks aren't as proven coming into the league, so it naturally can take them a little more time to earn their way on to the field. But even with that said, guys like Anthony Hitchens, Anthony Brown, Maliek Collins and Jourdan Lewis all became starters as rookies, and all were 3rd rounders or later, so it's not as if only the blue chippers get to see the field as rookies.

What we have to keep in mind about Wilson is that, as good as he looked in preseason, it was still preseason, and he was playing against a lot of low level competition. I don't say that to suggest he can't be a very good player, I'm just saying we can't simply assume it. We still need to see him in real games.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here is a little bit of a downer for all the Heath haters: He is one of the team captains, there is no way a rookie is going to take his place on the field. Another favorite hate-target, Tyrone Crawford, is also a team captain. Wilson may eventually earn Heath's spot, but, barring injury, it won't be anytime soon.
Heath made captain largely as a special teams player, so I don't think that will affect decisions on playing time.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Exactly, Heath wasn't an issue on Sunday. If you like the "Splash Plays" metric Bob Sturm uses he was third on the defense with 2.5 splash plays behind DLaw and LVE.

Heath also started the game with a Splash Flop on the big Barkley run. That's always been Heath. He makes big plays. Hurts us once in a while with an ugly one.

Sounds like he was hurting us more consistently that usual, though. Someone posted his PFF run game score. 27. I don't remember every seeing a score that low.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Heath also started the game with a Splash Flop on the big Barkley run. That's always been Heath. He makes big plays. Hurts us once in a while with an ugly one.

FWIW, in the same article Sturm puts it mostly on Woods with blame also to Heath, LVE and Crawford -

This is where we probably should offer our normal disclaimer. With my zero games of NFL playing experience, I concede that many of these “blame” targets are best-guesses from studying over years and years. With that said, it looks like Xavier Woods lost his gap here and was turned by the receiver (12-Latimer). That’s what opened the gates for Barkley. That is all he needs, though, to take it all the way many times. Just a crack. Crawford was washed inside on a double team and Vander Esch was definitely sitting in his gap (maybe a little too deep?) but I think Woods has to fight that better and keep an inside position. Also, Jeff Heath’s angle here sticks out like a sore thumb, but I am not sure how many deep safeties are going to bring Barkley down in space like this. Not to excuse it, but that is a tough spot.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Wilson is truly healthy, likely we cut Frazier, maybe Thompson.

Not just my opinion. Seemed to be the consensus with the team writers that Frazier only made the roster because of Wilson's injury.

He will likely continue to be inactive. I doubt he will see serious playing time anytime soon unless an injury happens. Hill will likely start being active before Wilson. It’s just how Garrett does things.

Frazier played some snaps against the Giants.

On a play with the Giants just a few yards from the endzone, they played 4 LBs and Frazier at Safety in place of Woods.

Wilson can replace Frazier on the 46 when he is healthy. It will help if he is decent on special teams.

Last edited:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Sounds like he was hurting us more consistently that usual, though. Someone posted his PFF run game score. 27. I don't remember every seeing a score that low.

Heath was down the list of people to blame for the big 59 yard run by Barkley.

Heath was 15 yards from the line at the point Barkley crosses the line.

Heath should have moved more to the outside to force Barkley back to the inside where there were other defenders; however, expecting Heath to make an open field tackle on Barkley when Barkley starts out 15 yards in front of Heath in a complete open field is NOT realistic.

The PFF grade is most likely primary based on them blaming Heath for that play.

Barkley only had 61 yard on ALL other runs.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
One word. Yes
Two words. Yes, yes.
Three words. Yes, yes, yes.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.
:starspin::flagwave::starspin::flagwave::starspin:

He needs the playing time so he can take over for Heath next year.

quickccc

Reaction score
It all depends on Wilson's role on special teams. That alone gives him a huge advantage over Hill who is going to have to make the roster on his ability to see defensive snaps in the game.

Wilson had two special teams tackles in the finale against Tampa Bay.

If Miami continues to be a lousy non competitive team maybe hill is active for that game?

glimmerman

Reaction score
Agreed on all that, but that's kind of the point. Lower draft picks aren't as proven coming into the league, so it naturally can take them a little more time to earn their way on to the field. But even with that said, guys like Anthony Hitchens, Anthony Brown, Maliek Collins and Jourdan Lewis all became starters as rookies, and all were 3rd rounders or later, so it's not as if only the blue chippers get to see the field as rookies.

What we have to keep in mind about Wilson is that, as good as he looked in preseason, it was still preseason, and he was playing against a lot of low level competition. I don't say that to suggest he can't be a very good player, I'm just saying we can't simply assume it. We still need to see him in real games.
Yeah the plays I saw him making I don’t think the game was moving quite as fast at it is with the 1st stringers.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Here is a little bit of a downer for all the Heath haters: He is one of the team captains, there is no way a rookie is going to take his place on the field. Another favorite hate-target, Tyrone Crawford, is also a team captain. Wilson may eventually earn Heath's spot, but, barring injury, it won't be anytime soon.

lol, ya team captain Heath is a difference maker....

windjc

Reaction score
Heath was down the list of people to blame for the big 59 yard run by Barkley.

Heath was 15 yards from the line at the point Barkley crosses the line.

Heath should have moved more to the outside to force Barkley back to the inside where there were other defenders; however, expecting Heath to make an open field tackle on Barkley when Barkley starts out 15 yards in front of Heath in a complete open field is NOT realistic.

The PFF grade is most likely primary based on them blaming Heath for that play.

Barkley only had 61 yard on ALL other runs.
With all due respect, this stat keeps being used, ignoring on ALL OTHER RUNS he had over a 6 ypa. So come on. He ran at will on us. He just didn't get a lot of carries as we were up by 1000 points.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Heath is here to stay

He is a FA after this season. Let's see what they really think if they let him test the FA market, or he signs for a team friendly deal. Meaning he will take what is offered as opposed to not getting any offers in FA.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Byron Jones also can play S in a pinch. I think we're ok there, even though we're light on actual Safeties.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It all depends on Wilson's role on special teams. That alone gives him a huge advantage over Hill who is going to have to make the roster on his ability to see defensive snaps in the game.

Wilson had two special teams tackles in the finale against Tampa Bay.
Plus we are light at Safety right now. I think typically we dress 4