Don't give up on Luepki

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I see a big guy who was a actual running back in college that's big enough to play some fullback who is underutilized because the problem here is playing time our run game is in shambles and we don't see our coaching staff scheming or coming up with a better way to get our actual running backs some more room and short yardage and goal line situations..

I believe this guy can bring you that and the only reason he's not as successful is the same reason deuce Vaughn is not just not getting on the field and being used properly.
winner-winner-chicken-dinner-365-x-498-gif-4dofwp8a77z1aqlb.gif

glimmerman

Reaction score
This isn't an experiment this is actually probably a wrinkle and it needs to be utilized more and more I agree with the poster the original guy who just started this thread they need to use today as a way to build on our run game and trust me you call it experimentation there are lots of plays and wrinkles that coaches hold back for the bigger games which are in January and February they have a lot of stuff that they're gonna throw out that hasn't been seen much you know like buffaloes new offensive coordinator did to us everybody thought the game plan was gonna be the normal bills using Josh Allen and he goes and throws for 90 yards and they ran on us all game...

We need some games like that this is the playoffs we need a full back we need some two back sets we need some eye formations and we need some short yardage execution I mean it's been horrible really I mean you watched the games against Miami and Detroit the the run game it doesn't need to be experimented with it needs to be fixed, AND FAST.

And by the way I don't call that a fumble it was just a mistake on the handoff he didn't go for the ball he saw the big hole got a little excited some of us really believe he doesn't think he was getting the ball like it was supposed to be a fake he maybe got the play wrong but I want to see more of him a lot more I agree with the original poster it's not experimenting especially today outdoors in weather it'd be a good time to open up a strong run game... It's not like it's the first time he handled the football he was actually one of the primary running backs at his college he literally handled the ball all the time it was one mistake and everyone's making a big deal out of it as if this full back slash running back hybrid doesn't know how to take a handoff or run plays that he probably doesn't practice all the time it was a mistake I saw Tony Pollard fumble the ball a couple times early in the season I see players dropping easy passes missing easy tackles it happens all over even the great Brandon Aubrey while he's perfect on field goals as missed three extra points which you're supposed to be easier...

So spare me the overreactions to a man having one bad moment..
I still question whether he understood or got the right play call. He looked like he thought he was a decoy. He ran all the way through the play and dove in. The hand off was right where it needed to be. Dak stuck it right in hands and it fell straight back out. Usually when a RB or FB fumbles they know it and turn or look for the ball. He didn’t.

But you’re right about it being a wrinkle that can be used. Up until the fumble he was picking up short yardage 1st downs. I hope we use him today. Even some quick tosses or passes and get him in space.

kskboys

Reaction score
Moose was way more than just a guy, too. As fans, we project comparisons on to those we want to be the heir apparent. But Luepke is, as you've said, just a guy. Moose was an amazing fullback. I wish that's what Luepke could be, but he hasn't shown anything Moose-like.
How would you know? We don't play him.

kskboys

Reaction score
No one (aside from a very small, dumb minority of users) wants to toss him. Most sensible posters just rightfully acknowledge that he is the type of player that can be had as an UDFA every single year: Slow, bruiser running back from an FCS program with some pass catching and blocking ability.

You need those players to fill out the bottom of your roster and play special teams. I like the player, but to pretend he will ever be a huge difference maker is totally unrealistic. He just lacks the physical tools.
Ohhhhhh, I don't know. I think Luepke could be a difference maker, but only as a gadet type. Let him catch some passes and run some short yardage stuff.

What not to do: Give Luepke 4 carries for the whole season and then call his number in an audible in the 2nd to last game in a very key situation. That is dumber'n dirt.

I think you'd be shocked at how good he can be.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Funny. This one of many threads I’ve seen about not giving up hope for Luepke. Deuce was everyone’s boy after the preseason yet a few stuffed runs, and everyone jumped off that bandwagon quickly. We are desperate for a running game.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The guy is a jag and will likely never be handed the ball again near the goal line.

conner01

Reaction score
One of the things I have noticed is that he has a terrible feel for blocking. Dallas frequently tries to use him in the Daryl Johnston role and he gets beat often. Its like he over runs the block and gets his feet out of position. Before someone posts a video to the contrary, its not every time but to be used as a blocker, he fails to seal his man a lot from what I have seen.

As others have noted, in the NFL he looks like a JAG and that's ignoring the fumble which likely cost Dallas a game.
He didn’t block in college so he has to learn it. Pollard wasn’t good at blocking but had developed into a solid blocker. It takes time

conner01

Reaction score
I still question whether he understood or got the right play call. He looked like he thought he was a decoy. He ran all the way through the play and dove in. The hand off was right where it needed to be. Dak stuck it right in hands and it fell straight back out. Usually when a RB or FB fumbles they know it and turn or look for the ball. He didn’t.

But you’re right about it being a wrinkle that can be used. Up until the fumble he was picking up short yardage 1st downs. I hope we use him today. Even some quick tosses or passes and get him in space.
It sure looked like he wasn’t expecting the ball to me but I’ve never heard anything from staff on it

Mannix

Reaction score
Do those of you who are worried about experimenting in January, realize that we are basically playing with 10 players on offense right now?????

sbark

Reaction score
The guy is a jag and will likely never be handed the ball again near the goal line.
that’s a wager I’d take in a heartbeat

MM tried to go right back to him next drive down, got doubled
Next play was a TD to Cooks

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
that’s a wager I’d take in a heartbeat

MM tried to go right back to him next drive down, got doubled
Next play was a TD to Cooks
I’m not talking about him as a receiver, I’m talking about him as a ball carrier.

KeepinTime

Reaction score
He fits the narrative and all of the stereotypes

Lunch pail
Gritty
First in, last out
Coaches son
Lunch pail
Scrappy
Bull dog
Heart
Hard hat
Hustle

Even if some of those don’t even apply to him, people nod their head and think “yep, that’s our Fullback!”

Here’s the model cowboy for that, although Bill was actually a pretty good player

“I think [the fans] could see some of themselves in me,” Bates said, “I wasn’t the biggest guy out there, oftentimes one of the smallest. I wasn’t the fastest guy out there. I was the gritty, hardworking stiff who was out there living his dream, and fans appreciated that.”

What about lunch pail?

Beaker42

Reaction score
Email Jerry and demand an immediate trial as you don't need an adjustment period. That you are truly 'special.'
What “adjustment period” are you talking about? How many reps in HS and college are needed to look the ball into your hand??