Don't know why this team doesn't imploy all it's weapons

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
We have a fullback we don't use correctly or at all. We have a near Olympian speed guy we don't use in Smith.

Olawale and Smith are mysteries, with Olawale the bigger one.

I see a good fit for Olawale with us if we use him as an actual weapon. Speed and hands to be a complementary threat instead of just a bowling ball, which he isn't that good at.

But ok, maybe they don't see him as a threat. FIne. But what are we doing signing him to a multiyear contract for significant money after not using him last year, only not to use him again this year? What's up with that?

Smith. Combine profile says he's one of the best gunners of that draft class. Drafted in the second round. We have him under contract for 2 years. Injured and stunk with the Jets, but he comes here and it clicks. Was the clear best of the down roster WRs in the preseason. Can execute. Has yielded a 137 QBR rating for Dak when targeted this season.

Hasn't been active since week 4. Even when Cobb was out and Cooper, Gallup, and Austin were all on the injury report.

I hate our coaches.

GMO415

Reaction score
Perhaps those guys are......and they suck.
jeffspicoli.jpg

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
That's been the norm in JG's offense for 10 years. If you don't start in base 11 personnel, you don't play.

Witten taking 70% of the snaps is absolutely baffling though. He's literally as fast as Antwaun Woods these days, and his hands aren't what they used to be; he's had his share of drops and fumbles. As a 260 pound wall-off blocker or red zone threat playing strictly in short yardage, I can still see him being useful. But as an every-down starter? Why are we not playing Jarwin as the base TE?

Witten is a poor fit for the base offfense. For 3rd down, maybe. But he doesn't complement the run game well on 1st and 2nd down. Meh blocker, not a guy to run past you on play action.

Poor fit for Dak too. Dak has really improved his deep accuracy, but he's still not the guy to throw into tight spaces or throw players open, and Witten has problems getting separation.

Witten is much Terrance was. Put a guy on his hip and he's not getting away. Play zone and he'll find the holes you give him.

Ky31

Reaction score
that is going too far, but saying jarwin cant catch passes and move the chains within 10 yards is going too far
This is probably true, however the dude should be playing much more!! This could be argued forever...your opinion is respected!!

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Witten has played 4X the number of snaps as Jarwin; Jarwin has created 5X the number of 20+ yard plays as Witten.

So yeah, a good percentage of Jarwin's catches have probably made the SportsCenter highlights.
Another Witten comparison? Why? Again, the original statement was:
We have a young tight end that kills it every time he gets a chance.
Let's look at some of Jarwin's opportunities this season:

vs Dolphins - 1 catch, 3 yards
vs Jets - 2 catches, 6 yards
vs Eagles - 1 catch, 1 yard

Questions. How can some of Jarwin's opportunities listed above be EXCLUDED from 'every time'? What does every time mean?

Again, what I asked (which keeps getting re-quoted :) ) asked:
Jarwin's opportunities have been very limited but is it truth or exaggeration describing his every catch-and-run as a SportsCenter hightlight? (My words not yours).
Examples have been repeatedly posted how Jarwin has excelled during some of his limited opportunities. Those are true. I never argued that they were not.

However, 'some' never equals 'every'--no matter how awesome (e.g. truth) 'some' is proven to be. There have been solid non-debatable observations made why Jarwin's level of play should equate as reasons for him to start over Witten (which, once again, I have not argued against) but stating Jarwin 'kills it every time he gets a chance' is an exaggeration.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
However, 'some' never equals 'every'--no matter how awesome (e.g. truth) 'some' is proven to be. There have been solid non-debatable observations made why Jarwin's level of play should equate as reasons for him to start over Witten (which, once again, I have not argued against) but stating Jarwin 'kills it every time he gets a chance' is an exaggeration.
Nitpicking the word "every" is silly, especially when you're going to assume that every game presents opportunities. Otherwise, I'm not even really sure what your point is. Jarwin has done FAR more with his opportunities than Witt.

Jarwin has turned 20 targets into 197 yards and 3 TDs. Witten has turned 45 targets into 338 yards and 2 TDs. If you're tracking per target, Jarwin is at 9.85 yards and Witten is at 7.51.

There is absolutely 0 question that Jarwin should be getting more snaps in passing situations than Witten. The quality of the two players, as a receiver, is not even close right now.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nitpicking the word "every" is silly, especially when you're going to assume that every game presents opportunities. Otherwise, I'm not even really sure what your point is. Jarwin has done FAR more with his opportunities than Witt.

Jarwin has turned 20 targets into 197 yards and 3 TDs. Witten has turned 45 targets into 338 yards and 2 TDs. If you're tracking per target, Jarwin is at 9.85 yards and Witten is at 7.51.

There is absolutely 0 question that Jarwin should be getting more snaps in passing situations than Witten. The quality of the two players, as a receiver, is not even close right now.
Silly is framing any discussion point as an exaggeration when it is not necessary.

You are the third individual attempting to counter what I have stated with a Jarwin/Witten comparison. I mean. What the heck is going on? I have never stated Jarwin has not demonstrated enough in limited opportunities to unseat Witten but responses keep coming as if I did say Witten was better than Jarwin.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
A coach with limited abilities on how to use the weapons.

Many NFL coaches would love to have the weapons that Garrett just wastes away. In the past Garrett has know when he wastes talent Jerry will just go out and get him some more..............like daddy, I need some new toys.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Silly is framing any discussion point as an exaggeration when it is not necessary.

You are the third individual attempting to counter what I have stated with a Jarwin/Witten comparison. I mean. What the heck is going on? I have never stated Jarwin has not demonstrated enough in limited opportunities to unseat Witten but responses keep coming as if I did say Witten was better than Jarwin.
Right, which is why I'm not really sure I get your point lol

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We have a fullback we don't use correctly or at all. We have a near Olympian speed guy we don't use in Smith. We have a young tight end that kills it every time he gets a chance. Who we don't use enough of. We have better Linemen we don't use over Williams. And that's just offense. Dallas has so many un used weapons they either refuse to use or to stupid to realize they have them. You gonna tell me you can't give a couple of deep bombs to Smith or Austin. Line up in the power eye "old school" and run the ball with the fullback? Bet Andy Reid would be using every speed guy we have correctly.

On defense. LVE isn't the same player he was last year. Joe Thomas should be starting. Where is Gifford? See what he can do out their at Linebacker. On the D- line why do they continue to want small DT versus a non moveable guy? Teams are just running through our DT's. Our linebackers are running past the runner. And the safeties and corners are just arm tackling. Yet Garrett always talks about playing tough and physical. "REALLY"? Ever taken a look at what the word physical means, Garrett? In closing I just think Dallas doesn't employ nearly enough of their weapons. Why go conventional when you have nukes on the team? Speed kills as does a little imagination. Obviously one of these Dallas is missing. And it's not speed.
If I had a complaint about the offense, this is it. Not that I'm upset with the offense, other than hurting ourself with penalties & turnovers in the first half, but we do have the ability to use more weapons and give opposing defenses more to worry about, but we don't. It's not that I want to see Olawale carry the ball a lot, or catch a lot of passes, or that I think other receivers, including Jarwin, should get a dramatic increase in targets, but they are all capable of contributing more, and adding some incremental element to the offense.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Another Witten comparison? Why? Again, the original statement was:

Let's look at some of Jarwin's opportunities this season:

vs Dolphins - 1 catch, 3 yards
vs Jets - 2 catches, 6 yards
vs Eagles - 1 catch, 1 yard

Questions. How can some of Jarwin's opportunities listed above be EXCLUDED from 'every time'? What does every time mean?

Again, what I asked (which keeps getting re-quoted :) ) asked:

Examples have been repeatedly posted how Jarwin has excelled during some of his limited opportunities. Those are true. I never argued that they were not.

If you're the type to take every word you read/hear literally, then that's on you. People mostly speak in generalities, not specificities. "Every time" is not meant to be taken literally.

You really typed out that entire response just to be nit-picky and argue that the term "every time" shouldn't be used?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Right, which is why I'm not really sure I get your point lol
Obviously, you are not alone. :laugh:

It can be said Jarwin has clearly outplayed Witten despite limited in-game opportunities. Is it necessary to say Jarwin has been 'killing it every time' when it is not true?

That has been my one transparent point. One member replies "I won't argue your point...". Another member says "So yeah, a good percentage of Jarwin's catches have probably made the SportsCenter highlights"--as if 'a good percentage' should be accepted as 'every' or 100%. And a third member 'does not get my point.'

Okay. :)

Edit: '100%'

Last edited:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you're the type to take every word you read/hear literally, then that's on you. People mostly speak in generalities, not specificities. "Every time" is not meant to be taken literally.

You really typed out that entire response just to be nit-picky and argue that the term "every time" shouldn't be used?
The answer is yes. Jarwin has done more than enough work to make a solid argument to bench Witten. Why spray perfume on a rose?

You are correct that some people often speak in generalities. It is one of a number of reasons why human communication has always suffered at some future point. Ultimately, some recipients of communication become so accustomed to accepting generalities as normal to the point that being literal takes a backseat when it never should.

We do agree. It is on me for thinking literally.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The answer is yes. Jarwin has done more than enough work to make a solid argument to bench Witten. Why spray perfume on a rose?

You are correct that some people often speak in generalities. It is one of a number of reasons why human communication has always suffered at some future point. Ultimately, some recipients of communication become so accustomed to accepting generalities as normal to the point that being literal takes a backseat when it never should.

We do agree. It is on me for thinking literally.
All good, man. You're right - sometimes people speak in generalities to a fault. But I guess all of that is for an entirely separate (and long) discussion haha. :thumbup::starspin:

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Smith disappeared after Washington. He had opportunities and didnt come through. He is just not as a good a WR as he looked in preseason

blueblood70

Reaction score
agree for the most part some need to be used a little more..however losing drives and TOP ie les possessions due to horrible defense and in game flow have created less opportunity's to get gadget or new plays and schemes in the game..

Our offense is ranked pretty high, we are moving the ball, need s alittle more early scoring for sure BUT

dont try and let the fact the defense is more the cause this season to why we are losing then anything else..

blueblood70

Reaction score
Nobody that studies the coaches film would agree with your post.

Devin Smith got 2 starts and the results were minimal.

Connor Williams has been much better than fans believe. He executes many details better than La'el ever did a OG. A negative play here and there get's fans worked up, but CW has been good much more than bad.

Zeke is just not that comfortable with a FB. They used the FB more with Pollard than with Zeke.

They do have Austin run deep routes but you don't see him on the broadcast if the ball does not go to him.

LVE is fine. He has been banged up, but most of the problems you see are scheme. The LBs often execute their assignments but the scheme has some holes in it with regards to run defense that the Rams first exposed.

The last thing the Cowboys need is to put a rookie in the lineup on defense.

Joe Thomas is a solid backup LB. He plays a decent number of snaps. As the 4th LB he plays as many or more snaps than the Cowboys 3rd LB many seasons. If you think Joe Thomas is better than Vander Esch, then you must be listening to games on the radio instead of watching them.

The Vikings running success was outside. Bigger DTs would not have helped. In fact they needed smaller, faster DTs on many plays to get outside because the scheme requires too much lateral movement from the DTs.

Fans have been clamoring to replace Heath. Thompson played most of the snaps at SS in the Vikings game and he whiffed on multiple big run plays. Also, they played more 2-deep which is not a run defense alignment because Thompson lacks range.

The NFL only allows teams to use 11 players per play. Who should Devin Smith take snaps from?

You want more speed on the field but you also want the FB to play more...

If anybody needs more snaps it's the guy you didn't mention, Tony Pollard.

They win when Pollard plays more snaps and lose when he plays less.

More snaps with Pollard and Zeke together would put more speed on the field than a FB and give them more options on play designs.
thats pretty much my thoughts as well..

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All good, man. You're right - sometimes people speak in generalities to a fault. But I guess all of that is for an entirely separate (and long) discussion haha. :thumbup::starspin:
I am sure a number of members know by now how long-winded I can get. :laugh:Thing is, I was cool with @IceStarD54 saying "I won't argue your point" and would have shut up since he indirectly acknowledged my point. But youse guys could not leave well enough along and had to grab the cannoli too. :mad::D