Don't Let Garbage Time Confuse

T-RO

Reaction score
Sunday's Boys-Browns game was OVER after Turpin returned that punt for a score. Cowboys were up 27-3.

Everyone knew it was garbage time from there on.

Let's look at the startling game stats up to that point and compare that to the stats afterwards, in garbage time. I bet you'll be surprised!

Build-up to 27-3 lead, clinching outcome
First Downs.....Cowboys 13, Browns 1
Total Yards......Cowboys 216, Browns 45

Garbage time
First Downs.....Cowboys 2, Browns 14
Total Yards......Cowboys 49, Browns 185

Additional thoughts:
-Dallas was on its way to a 400 yard offensive game. They took the foot off the pedal once the game was sealed.
-Cleveland had the ball almost the entire second half, in part due to 2 first downs via penalty, and 3 via desperate 4th down conversions.
-Through the second half the Browns had their dignity to fight for, with boo-birds echoing through their home stadium. Dallas had already achieved their objective.
-Nick Vigil was taking most of the 2nd half linebacker snaps while the Boys rested Kendricks
-Ceedee sat a lot in 2nd half, as did numerous players late

Don't let garbage time and stats during meaningless minutes dilute the real story!

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This would make Troy Aikman entire career a meaningless stats...

God forbid your defense is great for Dak Prescott..

God forbid 2024 Cowboys have a RB who holds the playoffs TD record.

Dak Haters don't want to win.....they need a QB to worship :laugh: :laugh:
The problem is you....er I mean people....berated Cooper for only winning because of defense.

Can't have it both ways.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
Nawwwww
Just tired of the endless worship of Dak
Blind to his garbage time stats, his folding when most needed
His arrogance & self deserving attitude
What endless worship? It was a team win. The D, the special teams, etc. Dak is just a piece of the puzzle. I get it, he is a big piece, but a piece nonetheless.

Who do you expect us to talk about? Hurts? I just want to win because I am a Cowboys fan. That makes me a Dak fan, a defense fan, a special teams fan, etc. Even when our qb wins, so many point out what a loser he is.

Just trying to be positive about the "Team".

CowboysRule

Reaction score
Stay on topic. We're supposed to be giving Dak excuses for another mediocre performance
Come on. I'm as unhappy as anyone over Dak's new contract but this is not the time to bash him. We had a comfortable lead and didn't need him to do anything. It's not like the other games he's played where we desperately need him to make a play and he gets the deer in headlights look.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Do not tell me that not one of you took a deep breath when the Browns made it 27-10.....if you say no you are a liar or in denial. I know I did, but was very pleased that nothing escalated

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
No one should be freaking out over the 2nd half of the Cleveland game, but its not something to completely dismiss either. The expectation is still that the unit needs to execute the plays called and they didn't do that. This is where you need your offense to continue moving the chains and killing the clock so your defense isn't on the field for 70+ plays like they were this week.

2 first downs on 5 2nd half drives is horrific. Moving forward if the offense cant line up and get 3 yards when the defense knows you're running it we are in trouble. There will be plenty of situations this year where defenses know the Cowboys are going to feed their RBs and need the Oline to move the LOS despite that. This was an issue going into last season. My gut tells me that they are better equipped to solve this issue in 2024, but we still need to see it. The QB/WRs need to be able to make the high percentage throws consistently. Throwing 4-9 in the 2nd half isnt good. I understand the yardage totals probably wont be there given the situation, but the efficiency needs to be. 2 penalties on 21 2nd half plays....not good.

2nd half of last years blowout opener the Cowboys offense had their first three drives go for 22 plays 133 yards and 2 TDs. Following week against the Jets they had a multi possession lead after half and came out with 4 consecutive FGs. That is the type of stuff you want to see. Putting it into cruise control with a 3 possession lead coming out of the half and only getting 2 first downs is going to get you beat eventually. Its only one game so we need to not overreact, but it should be at least a mild area of concern and something to keep an eye on the next few games.

starfan1

Reaction score
This would make Troy Aikman entire career a meaningless stats...

God forbid your defense is great for Dak Prescott..

God forbid 2024 Cowboys have a RB who holds the playoffs TD record.

Dak Haters don't want to win.....they need a QB to worship :laugh: :laugh:
its sad but expected that the take away from the group you mentioned is dak and the offense was bad in second half while not saying much about the first half except oh they were missing their 2 tackles and main RB. Dak haters have only 1 agenda which make the extension even sweeter

I do want to see more from both the offense (run game in particular) and the defense (consistency). Im slightly concerned about the rook a better QB maybe would have had him for lunch but Watson had 0 time. Dak haters are quiet this week but you can be assured that next time their is a bad outcome regardless of whose at fault they will be on here tooting their horns like the blowhards they are.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Sunday's Boys-Browns game was OVER after Turpin returned that punt for a score. Cowboys were up 27-3.

Let's look at the startling game stats up to that point and compare that to the stats afterwards, in garbage time. I bet you'll be surprised!

Garbage time

Additional thoughts:
-Dallas was on its way to a 400 yard offensive game. They took the foot off the pedal once the game was sealed.
-Cleveland had the ball almost the entire second half, in part due to 2 first downs via penalty, and 3 via desperate 4th down conversions.
-Through the second half the Browns had their dignity to fight for, with boo-birds echoing through their home stadium. Dallas had already achieved their objective.
-Nick Vigil was taking most of the 2nd half linebacker snaps while the Boys rested Kendricks

Don't let garbage time and stats during meaningless minutes dilute the real story!
who exactly do you need to explain that too, i dont think most non caul fans saw anything other than that we didn't blow this team out from the dtart? there's no illusion we came in on grass on the road against a mobile QB and a top 5 defense and dominated when it mattered with 3 rookies starting and anther contributing and couple layers off ACLs that looked good .

stats dont matter 1-0 that it...weve said that even in high stat game like last year game 1 40-0 Noone cared how big blowout that was , just win..no need to overthink it.

the only thing i don't like is the goalposts being moved as being said leading up to this game 70% picked the browns , we won big and now they are the bad news bears..lmao..,many here picked blowout in loss by us..so many now saying, oh its just the browns..UGHH!!!!!!

McMicah

Reaction score
I get garbage time, and do expect to see a less efficient offense when up big. However, the offense disappeared completely. The Browns defense sold out to stop the run and short passes, specifically slants, anticipating the Cowboys would go that route, and the cowboys had no answer. Gotta give credit to the Browns D, but also I expected more from the Cowboys. If you want to burn clock, you should want first downs.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Ohhhhh....you mean like the 2nd half of the G.Bay playoff game????
Is there a reason you had to bring this up everybody watches games we know the difference between garbage time and not..lmao good stab go away troll

ones loss ones win stay in 2024 RS games move oN!!

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
Do not tell me that not one of you took a deep breath when the Browns made it 27-10.....if you say no you are a liar or in denial. I know I did, but was very pleased that nothing escalated
I can say no. Even if they scored again and made it 27-17, it's still a 2 score game. I was not nervous for one second.

shabazz

Reaction score
Like I've said before, I'd caution anyone about drawing final conclusions just from one game or half a game.

We are judging head to head match-ups which is fine but I need to see at least 5 more weeks of football and all the other match-ups before I can start logically start the process.

Here's an example,.. I'll see how the Browns defense does against the the Jaguars next week. Does Lawrence hang 300 on them? Do they run for 150 against the Browns (considered great) defense?.....that's just the next peice of evidence.

The biggest evidence will come in week 7 when we facec the Niners yet again

That still doesn't mean that I didn't enjoy the game....I LOVED the win, especially with all 3 phases contributing......i just like to process things before conclusions

kskboys

Reaction score

Garbage time

Additional thoughts:

Well done.

We completely dismantled them.

aikemirv

Reaction score

Garbage time

Additional thoughts:

No excuse for 3, 3 and outs and other drives of 10 and 14 yards.

That's inept, I don't care what the score is!