Dont Panic, Its A Smart Move To Blow This Defense Up

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Interesting. I am no big fan...but the F.O needed to re-sign Carr. He is just slightly above average...but if a club lets any player walk...they must replace him. Carr was, at least, reliable.

Hey I could see the merit of re-signing Carr... But not at that price. He's not a $6 mil a season corner now. He certainly won't be in a couple more years.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Knowing our luck, that's exactly what will happen.
:laugh: I know, seems like any aggressive traits keyed at deflecting/ intercepting the ball our D.B's brought with them from the Collegiate level ( like turning their heads to scan for the incoming ball) were quickly drilled out of them, seems that way to me for quite awhile now:confused:

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am seeing threads where losing both CBs and your FS and SS spells doom for the team this year. Seriously? The entire group was a bunch of jags that had hands of stone card played on them and it never wore off.:D

They never made any plays, never looked for the ball, never got picks, and when they played an elite QB like Rogers, they got sliced and diced. Rogers was laughing at them in the playoffs, dude didn't even bother to buckle his chin strap one series and he and refs were laughing about it. That's called getting punked, a totally no respect move.
theatermove.gif

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Blown up?
Scandrick and Brown started more games at CB than Mo, so you already have two starters at CB, plus Nolan Carroll. You can also play Jones at CB. Church was the only starting S to leave though Wilcox had playing time in the nickel and dime....Jones was the full time free safety.

So basically, the front seven already looks better, certainly no worse, and we are trying to replace Church at SS with Heath and Frazer. And that's before the draft which is deep at CB and safety. Not to mention all the free agents who will become available after teams draft some of the top DBs.

The defense lost more backup and role guys than starters. It's hard to call McClain and Mo starters on a 13-3 team when they missed so many games, and Church can be replaced. Everyone has called our defense garbage for years, and now there's fretting over losing Carr and Church? I'm not worried.

Melonfeud

Reaction score
LOL lets see where this is when this team cant stop anyone next year. It would be different if they did not have so many holes to fill, they cant rush the passer, right now the secondary is a disaster, they now need OL help. And we are drafting 28th. LOL what a mess
TV

Friend,, not only will we STOP our opponents, but we're going to STOMP on several of those , draft heavy first 3 RDS on defense, field a fullback to help cover Daks perceived sudden exposure at R.T. if need be,,, BUT FOR GOD'S SAKES 'jerry' UP ARMOR THAT DEFENSIVE LINE,,, please.

haleyrules

Reaction score
TV

Friend,, not only will we STOP our opponents, but we're going to STOMP on several of those , draft heavy first 3 RDS on defense, field a fullback to help cover Daks perceived sudden exposure at R.T. if need be,,, BUT FOR GOD'S SAKES 'jerry' UP ARMOR THAT DEFENSIVE LINE,,, please.
Amen!

haleyrules

Reaction score
Hey I could see the merit of re-signing Carr... But not at that price. He's not a $6 mil a season corner now. He certainly won't be in a couple more years.
Mike! You get my point. I have no attachment to players. Decent players need to be replaced. Only that. I have a feeling that the club will improve the Defense before the season starts. Its a must and the FO knows it.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
That's right, gamble with your cheap QB by going after defensive guys in the draft. In 3 or 4 years they should be ready when our ONCE cheap QB will be 200 million dollars richer by then. Smart move. Sarcasm/off

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I definitely see us drafting a DE, but that's it. We have Thornton and Paea at DT-1, Collins and Crawford at DT-3, Mayowa, DLaw, Tapper, and a draft pick at DE, Irving everywhere. Too many young developing guys on our DL to go too heavy there in draft.

Get a DE, CB, S, TE, OT, and we will be just fine.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
I am seeing threads where losing both CBs and your FS and SS spells doom for the team this year. Seriously? The entire group was a bunch of jags that had hands of stone card played on them and it never wore off.:D

They never made any plays, never looked for the ball, never got picks, and when they played an elite QB like Rogers, they got sliced and diced. Rogers was laughing at them in the playoffs, dude didn't even bother to buckle his chin strap one series and he and refs were laughing about it. That's called getting punked, a totally no respect move.

So that is what the league thought of our defense, so blowing it up is the smart move. Don't over pay for trash that nobody respects. Build the defense like we built the offense and teams will stop laughing at us.

This is a good thing, nothing to panic over.

Our secondary was decent in the red zone. Unless we draft a cb that can help us next year and ABrown improves, our redzone defense will be worse.

Here it says Dallas was #19 out of 32 teams. (Seattle btw was #20)
https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opponent-red-zone-scoring-pct

And it says we were #1 in redzone on the road. At home we were #29.

Last edited:

Melonfeud

Reaction score
That's right, gamble with your cheap QB by going after defensive guys in the draft. In 3 or 4 years they should be ready when our ONCE cheap QB will be 200 million dollars richer by then. Smart move. Sarcasm/off

Hey, he's certainly entitled to enjoy the same leveled field ROMO played on, oh,wait, ROMO wasn't handed a gift wrapped position,,,, never mind.

haleyrules

Reaction score
Atlanta's defense was worse than ours.
Kind of. Last season the Cowboy Defense was an enigma machine. Not a bad rating. Gave up yardage...but not points. I was always fearful of their chances when it got tough in the Playoffs. The Defense is not as bad as some say...but it needs serious help at getting pressure on enemy QB's. Do that...and the club has a decent chance. Defense Wins...Always.

kazzd58

Reaction score
I Absolutely have no problem rebuilding this Defense!! we need better playmakers not good enough...

Solid players but not good enough, we can get and do better

Melonfeud

Reaction score
Kind of. Last season the Cowboy Defense was an enigma machine. Not a bad rating. Gave up yardage...but not points. I was always fearful of their chances when it got tough in the Playoffs. The Defense is not as bad as some say...but it needs serious help at getting pressure on enemy QB's. Do that...and the club has a decent chance. Defense Wins...Always.

Man! @haleyrules pretty sure most harbored those fearful feelings long before the playoffs ( I knew I did and Atlanta would've have shredded us badly at home,,I've never went to there
fan board but it prolly looked like the day after Custer's last stand during the wined down of that S.B. LOSS:lmao2::lmao::lmao2:)
I forget our defenses rankings of last season it was either 2 or 5th against the run but against the pass we're like #19 or 24?
My precise numbers ranking are not revelant as stopping the run kind of rose that high by it's self due to the oppositions ability to pass the ball us,,,

That Denver Defense two years ago definitely PROVES your point my Friend.

Last edited:

MikeT22

Reaction score
We needed to improve the secondary. But trying to replace the entire unit in one offseason is asking a bit much.

risco

Reaction score

So that is what the league thought of our defense, so blowing it up is the smart move. Don't over pay for trash that nobody respects. Build the defense like we built the offense and teams will stop laughing at us.

This is a good thing, nothing to panic over.
Could not agree more!