Doom and Gloom from Dale Hanson...

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
WFAA-TV (Ch. 8) sports anchor Dale Hansen has been around these parts since 1981, covering sports weeknights at 6 and 10 p.m. and Sunday nights on Dale Hansen's Sports Special.

You have said this was a wasted season. Are you concerned that the Bill Parcells era could be a wasted era?
Yes, I really am. I am hoping it turns around, but it has to turn around this coming year. A lot of people were upset by the "wasted season" comment, but a lot of people have started to copy the comment. Last year was a wasted season, and if we don't see a turnaround in 2005, then I think the whole era becomes a wasted era. If that's the case, it sets the Cowboys so much further back. I am hoping it's not the case, but I am concerned about it.

Even with their two first-round picks, don't you think filling other roster spots with solid free agents is more important?
They can't do it with just the draft. Heck, I am fully expecting them to goof around with the draft by moving and trading and sliding around instead of just taking the best player they can possibly find.

There is no guarantee with the picks. They need and could use some help in the draft, but if they are going to get appreciably better, they are going to have to do it by spending some money on the free-agent market. The reality is they have some money to spend, but do they spend it and do they spend it on the right players?

Is Dallas still a destination where players want to come to play?
I don't think it is anymore. I don't think the Cowboys are the Cowboys anymore, and that's the saddest part of this whole deal to me. If I am not completely right about that, at the very least, I am close.

This has been a long, long dry spell. It matches to some extent the spell they had in the '80s. But they were so incredibly dominant in the '70s, they had a 10-year window they could slide through. They snuck through the '80s a little bit, hanging on to that aura. They can't do that anymore.

The teams they had in the '90s have given them a pass, but that window has just about slammed shut. They have not won a playoff game since 1996. Right now, they are just another team on the NFL landscape.

You can't be surprised by changes to the coaching staff. But are you surprised by the firing of Steve Hoffman?
Steve Hoffman has done a remarkable job. I said this to him when I saw him the other day out at Valley Ranch, I really would have liked to have seen what he could have done if he had more than 47 dollars a week to spend on a kicker. He was at the bottom of the salary-cap barrel, and I think he's done an unbelievable job.

I waver about all of this to this extent. I think it's unfair to look at Hoffman and offensive line coach George Warhop as being the fall guys. That's unfair. But it's also unfair to ask Bill Parcells to keep coaches around that he's uncomfortable with.

A head coach has to surround himself with people he's comfortable with and people he can trust. I give Parcells the benefit of the doubt, but I still have some questions about the way he's doing things. Replacing Steve Hoffman is just another one to add to my list. I won't be critical of that because, as Jimmy Johnson said, you have to have your hand-picked coaches around you to make it all work.

So, what do you think will be the matchup in Super Bowl XXXIX in two weeks?
I am leaning toward Atlanta. That's a hard game to pick. If Terrell Owens was still in the lineup, I think the Eagles could slide right into Jacksonville without too much trouble. Michael Vick gets so much attention that people forget the Falcons have a lot of good players. Philadelphia's been in the championship three years in a row and lost all three. They played poorly the last two years at home. It's kind of a hunch, but I am picking Atlanta.

And, I can't pick against New England after what the Patriots did to the Colts and Peyton Manning. It's a classic example of what good teamwork can do. The Patriots might be one of the very best teams that just finds a way to win, and I think they will find a way to win Sunday in Pittsburgh.

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
Where's the doom and gloom? It seems to me that he is being pretty accurate here.

EndGame

Reaction score
Jimz31 said:
Where's the doom and gloom? It seems to me that he is being pretty accurate here.
Gloomy, but accurate. I'm not sure I agree with players not wanting to come to Dallas anymore, though .. not that I claim to know more than Dale Hanson. Even with last season's debacle, Bill Parcells is still a legendary coach. I would think players would want to play for a guy like that. Plus, the one thing you can say about Jerry Jones without a doubt is that he will do whatever he can to win. You can't say that about all owners.

TLW47

Reaction score
I agree with pretty much everything he said. It's true that last year was a wasted year and a disappointment; I think players will go wherever the money is best and you do have to wonder with money to spend will it be spent wisely.

dewey

Reaction score
Truth be told, I don't think Dallas has been a place players want to come for a while, even before Parcells got here. Honestly, what player would have really been chomping at the bit to play for a team that in the last 8 years has had 3 seasons above 500?

thor_01

Reaction score
How can you say last year was a wasted year when have found one or two of the missing pieces in the puzzle...........

RB was a big question mark last year and years before, with the coming of JJ at least that part of the question has been answered i believe for years to come...........

TE usually if a player in this position is gonna bust it is in their second year when more is expected of them, hell Witten just came on stronger, another piece of the puzzle solved.............

lastly even though most won't agree with me, Big Bill got a taste of what it is like to lose in Dallas, and i assure you it was a bitter pill to swallow for him, bet your ace he won't want to do it again, to me that will cause a lot of puzzle pieces to be found, making last year worth every gruciating moment.........

Doomsday101

Reaction score
thor_01 said:
How can you say last year was a wasted year when have found one or two of the missing pieces in the puzzle...........

RB was a big question mark last year and years before, with the coming of JJ at least that part of the question has been answered i believe for years to come...........

TE usually if a player in this position is gonna bust it is in their second year when more is expected of them, hell Witten just came on stronger, another piece of the puzzle solved.............

lastly even though most won't agree with me, Big Bill got a taste of what it is like to lose in Dallas, and i assure you it was a bitter pill to swallow for him, bet your ace he won't want to do it again, to me that will cause a lot of puzzle pieces to be found, making last year worth every gruciating moment.........

I agree with you. Was it a bad season? Yes wasted season NO. As you pointed out some good came out of the season with the play of Jones and Witten and to a certain extent players like Crayton and Copper.

Waffle

Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
Reaction score
Dale Hansen said:
"Last year was a wasted season, and if we don't see a turnaround in 2005, then I think the whole era becomes a wasted era. If that's the case, it sets the Cowboys so much further back."
Wasted year? Well I think that we can all agree that 2004 wasn't what we had hoped record wise, but I hardly would call it a "wasted year", Dale. It was the year we acquired Julius Jones. It was the year we acquired Drew Henson, if you believe he is the QB of the future. It was the year we were able to snag an extra 1st round draft pick for 2005, perhaps winding up being a significant player for years to come. It was the breakout year for Jason Witten and answers at least the question of TE. I could go on, but I don't have the time.

And the "wasted era...sets the Cowboys so much further back" line is laughable. Parcells has been here for only 2 years. Where was Hansen crying about "wasted eras" when Campo and Gailey were here. No wonder people are switching to Newy, Doocy, and Babe for their TV sports.

Dale Hansen said:
"Heck, I am fully expecting them to goof around with the draft by moving and trading and sliding around instead of just taking the best player they can possibly find."
Goof around? So getting an extra first and getting Julius Jones is Dale Hansen's definition of "goofing around." :rolleyes:

This is just my opinion, but Dale Hansen has been full of sour grapes ever since he had his run-in with Switzer at training camp and was eventually replaced on the Dallas Cowboys Radio Network. I will admit that I really did like him as the color guy with Brad Sham, but his current negativity towards anything Cowboys is so obviously personal. You notice he doesn't have one positive thing to say?

If I were Dale Hansen and Channel 8, I'd be focusing my attention on why Hansen's "Sports Special" on Sunday's is steadily losing ground to Newy Scruggs in the ratings instead of constantly throwing bombs at the Cowboys and Bill Parcells.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Waffle said:
Wasted year? Well I think that we can all agree that 2004 wasn't what we had hoped record wise, but I hardly would call it a "wasted year", Dale. It was the year we acquired Julius Jones. It was the year we acquired Drew Henson, if you believe he is the QB of the future. It was the year we were able to snag an extra 1st round draft pick for 2005, perhaps winding up being a significant player for years to come. It was the breakout year for Jason Witten and answers at least the question of TE. I could go on, but I don't have the time.
I think what Hanson was eluding too, but did not say, is that it was a wasted year because we found nothing out about the QB position. He lobbied after week 12 for Drew Henson and was frustrated by Bill's stubborness.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
TheSkaven said:
I think what Hanson was eluding too, but did not say, is that it was a wasted year because we found nothing out about the QB position. He lobbied after week 12 for Drew Henson and was frustrated by Bill's stubborness.

That is exactly the reason but who is Hanson to tell Parcells how to coach? Parcells does not tell Hanson how to write an artical. Hanson had an opinion and when Parcells did not do what Hanson wanted Hanson uses the radio and paper to bash the Cowboys and Parcells.

Kittymama

Benched
Reaction score
Hansen has a bug up his a**, & has since Parcells got to the Cowboys, because BP no longer personally discusses play-calling with him. He admitted it on the current Writers Roundtable that's up on the DallasCowboys.com site. He's pissed because Parcells closes practice & won't let the assistants talk to the press, & he just can't get over it. Was it a disappointing season? Absolutely. Wasted? Well, why don't we see what happens next season. If Henson plays & shows improvement, plus solid play from Witten, JuJo, Crayton, & some other youngsters, along with some draft picks & FAs--by this time next year we could be talking a completely different scenario. That's not to say we'll get to the Super Bowl in one year, but things could be looking much different. If not, well then, yes old Dale can tell us "I told you so." What gets old fast, tho, is to listen to the talking heads praise Belichick then blast Parcells for doing the same thing. (Belichick refuses to allow any of his assistant coaches to talk to the media; Nick Saban just announced the other day that he's doing the same thing. But Hansen moans nonstop about Parcells doing it.) Listen to the Roundtable--even Spags & Sham were getting sick of his whining by the end of the program.

dewey

Reaction score
Sports writers and sports talking heads, in general, are the biggest group of whiners out there. They have all of the answers about everything, and if they don't get their way, it becomes a non-stop barrage, because they have the forum. Hanson needs to realize that he is NOT a member of the Dallas Cowboys, they do not have any obligation to include him in anything, and if BP wants to keep quiet and asks the same of those around him, get over it.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
He's not such a whiner as he is a fluent speaker of knee-jerkese.

Guess who was the Dallas media member who was most loudly proclaiming Parcells an absolute genius last year? His initials begin with D and H. (Hmmmm ... maybe he posts on this board).

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
I can only say that I see things pretty much as Dale does. Last year was a wasted season because there was so much more we could have come away from that season with had we not seen the questionable (note that I refrain from saying "stupid") moves made by Bill Parcells. Yes we found a few pieces; well two to be precise. We found out about Witten what many of us suspected after his rookie year; he is a stud. And we found out about Julius Jones; he is the real deal and has the potential to be the next great Dallas Cowboys running back. Beyond that I don't see what we came away from this season with.

Al Johnson showed potential; he was adaquate but is still a long way from being dominant and we don't know if he ever will be. Copper and Crayton showed potential but were given precious little opportunity (particularly Crayton) and need work to prove themselves. Our best players got a year older and that much closer to the fading out of their career. Glover is no longer young and his window is starting to close and Larry Allen is fading and we have no one to replace him with at this point. After spending two picks on the OL last year we have no idea if those picks will pan out since neither of them saw the field in regular season and both have injuries to come back from. ReShard Lee showed great potential but was never given the opportunity to see if he could produce or even be an adaquate backup / change of pace back. And I'm not even going to go into the QB debacle.

So I agree with Dale that this was a wasted season compaired to the gains we stood to make had it not all been about Bill Parcells "comfort level". If next year is not productive, meaning a significant and competative drive into the playoffs and not just a one-and-out wildcard showing, then we need a new coach. I am cutting NO SLACK for Parcells this year. He had better put the players on the field and stop screwing around.

So I have this to say to Bill Parcells, "Your a friggin' Football Coach Bill; if you want comfort hit the Sunny Acres Retirement Community." [/rant]

Kittymama

Benched
Reaction score
JackMagist said:
So I agree with Dale that this was a wasted season compaired to the gains we stood to make had it not all been about Bill Parcells "comfort level". If next year is not productive, meaning a significant and competative drive into the playoffs and not just a one-and-out wildcard showing, then we need a new coach. I am cutting NO SLACK for Parcells this year. He had better put the players on the field and stop screwing around.

I take it then, by your standards, that Schottenheimer, Gruden, Billick, Shanahan, Holmgren, Martz, Vermeil, Mariucci, Capers, Lewis, Del Rio, Fisher, Sherman, & Haslett should all be fired? Those are all coaches who have more than 1 year with their teams who haven't had a "competitive drive" in the playoffs in the past year or more. Just improving the team isn't enough--a good showing from Henson & other young players? It has to be "deep in the playoffs" or fire the coach? (Like Cowher & Edwards should have been fired last year, then. And might as well throw Dungy & Reid in there, since they can't get to the big game.) And spare me yet again the nonsense that if Henson had only played a few games this year he'd magically be headed to the playoffs or Super Bowl next year. That hasn't worked yet for Leftwich, Carr, Harrington, & Boller, & they've had way more time than Henson. A few games wouldn't have made the difference either way. Cowher has been with the Steelers for over 10 years & has had lots of time to put a strong team around Roethlisberger. Brady took over a team that had been in place for almost 7 years. Surely Parcells gets a year or two to put a decent team around Henson. (Heck, it might have happened this year if there hadn't been so many injuries. Maybe not, but maybe it would.)

dewey

Reaction score
Surely Parcells gets a year or two to put a decent team around Henson.
KittyMama, not with some people around here. They seem to forget just how bad the Boys have been for last almost decade. They expect some miraculous event to occur, which included the Boys in the Super Bowl this year, and since that didn't happen J. Jones needs to once again clean house and bring in yet another coach, with yet another group of assistants, with yet another type of style and game plan. Don't let anything actual settle and try to get established, just blow it up every other year. Simple enough. :rolleyes:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
dewey said:
KittyMama, not with some people around here. They seem to forget just how bad the Boys have been for last almost decade. They expect some miraculous event to occur, which included the Boys in the Super Bowl this year, and since that didn't happen J. Jones needs to once again clean house and bring in yet another coach, with yet another group of assistants, with yet another type of style and game plan. Don't let anything actual settle and try to get established, just blow it up every other year. Simple enough. :rolleyes:

Some want a turn around as long as Parcells does it the way they think it should be done. I just find it funny watching amateurs trying to tell a HOF coach how to do the job.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
Kittymama said:
I take it then, by your standards, that Schottenheimer, Gruden, Billick, Shanahan, Holmgren, Martz, Vermeil, Mariucci, Capers, Lewis, Del Rio, Fisher, Sherman, & Haslett should all be fired? Those are all coaches who have more than 1 year with their teams who haven't had a "competitive drive" in the playoffs in the past year or more. Just improving the team isn't enough--a good showing from Henson & other young players? It has to be "deep in the playoffs" or fire the coach? (Like Cowher & Edwards should have been fired last year, then. And might as well throw Dungy & Reid in there, since they can't get to the big game.)
Please spare me. All of those coaches with the exception of Capers and Schottenheimer have had significant competative playoff runs with their current teams before this year. And what the Chargers did with Schottenhimer this year was competative, had it not been I fully expect that he would ahve been gone. The Chargers playoff run and playoff game was competative and they could easily have won; unlike our playoff appearance in 2003 where we just showed up and were NOT competative. As for Capers I think his time is running out in Houston and he had better make a run next year or he could be replaced.

And spare me yet again the nonsense that if Henson had only played a few games this year he'd magically be headed to the playoffs or Super Bowl next year. That hasn't worked yet for Leftwich, Carr, Harrington, & Boller, & they've had way more time than Henson. A few games wouldn't have made the difference either way.
So you are saying that playing Vinny Interceptaverde because he "gives us the best chance to...what?" is helping Henson get experience? He is going to make mistakes on the field and it is going to cost us some games until he gets experienced enough not to make those mistakes (if he ever does). It is going to happen when he get in the game so it might as well have happened this year. I would rather see a Young player who might be learning something make mistakes than a fossil who will learn nothing if he hasn't already. Drew Henson himself said on Babe Laufenberg's show the other night that he would not have come away from this season with near as much had he not played in those games that he did get into. Imagine what he could have learned with 4 or 5 or 6 games. We basically gained nothing at QB this year.

Cowher has been with the Steelers for over 10 years & has had lots of time to put a strong team around Roethlisberger. Brady took over a team that had been in place for almost 7 years. Surely Parcells gets a year or two to put a decent team around Henson. (Heck, it might have happened this year if there hadn't been so many injuries. Maybe not, but maybe it would.)
Yes Brady and Roethlisberger had Top notch teams to step into and obviously Henson won't. But had he been given a chance in 2004 he would be a lot more ready to step in and play next year. And BTW if the almighty Parcells does anything right this year we WILL have a team for him to play with next year. Rebuilding this team this year with our sitauation is very doable if Parcells blows it and does nto field a team that can compete with Henson as a bus driver type QB (cause we know Vinny can't do it) then he has blown it as far as I am concerned.

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
He's not such a whiner as he is a fluent speaker of knee-jerkese.

Guess who was the Dallas media member who was most loudly proclaiming Parcells an absolute genius last year? His initials begin with D and H. (Hmmmm ... maybe he posts on this board).

Isn't it funny how that works?

The bottom line is that BP HAS made mistakes at the QB position. He had not only all season to rectify it, but he also had some of TC as well.

He stuck to his guns to the detriment of the team....the only question now is will he do it again?!?!?!?!

Waffle

Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
Reaction score
Jimz31 said:
Isn't it funny how that works?

The bottom line is that BP HAS made mistakes at the QB position. He had not only all season to rectify it, but he also had some of TC as well.

He stuck to his guns to the detriment of the team....the only question now is will he do it again?!?!?!?!
That is a debatable assertion Jimz31. He stuck to his guns because he was more interested in winning ballgames than playing some rookie who has zero experience.

I know WE, the fans, would all like to have seen more of what Henson (or even Romo) would have done knowing Vinny is only temporary, but Bill sees these guys every day in practice. I believe that if he thought they were ready or had the chance to play as well or better than Vinny, we would have seen more of them. It's too early to label what Bill did at QB last season as a "mistake."

It would be great if Henson ends up our starter sometime next year, is successful, and credits BP for letting him watch in 2004 as one of the major factors for his success. I bet a few of the posters here on the 'ole messageboard will conveniently vanish (or re-join the Bandwagon) if that were to occur. ;)