Doom and Gloom from Dale Hanson...

Sabu1

Reaction score
Kittymama said:
Hansen has a bug up his a**, & has since Parcells got to the Cowboys, because BP no longer personally discusses play-calling with him. He admitted it on the current Writers Roundtable that's up on the DallasCowboys.com site. He's pissed because Parcells closes practice & won't let the assistants talk to the press, & he just can't get over it. Was it a disappointing season? Absolutely. Wasted? Well, why don't we see what happens next season. If Henson plays & shows improvement, plus solid play from Witten, JuJo, Crayton, & some other youngsters, along with some draft picks & FAs--by this time next year we could be talking a completely different scenario. That's not to say we'll get to the Super Bowl in one year, but things could be looking much different. If not, well then, yes old Dale can tell us "I told you so." What gets old fast, tho, is to listen to the talking heads praise Belichick then blast Parcells for doing the same thing. (Belichick refuses to allow any of his assistant coaches to talk to the media; Nick Saban just announced the other day that he's doing the same thing. But Hansen moans nonstop about Parcells doing it.) Listen to the Roundtable--even Spags & Sham were getting sick of his whining by the end of the program.
Hammer meet nail. Great post, Hanson is upset because his job got a lot harder when Parcells took over the Cowboys. His negativity is a reflection of his personal dislike for the way Parcells' operates. What will he say when this franchise turns around? The same negative stuff because he hates Parcells.

Waffle

Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
Reaction score
Sabu1 said:
Hammer meet nail. Great post, Hanson is upset because his job got a lot harder when Parcells took over the Cowboys. His negativity is a reflection of his personal dislike for the way Parcells' operates. What will he say when this franchise turns around? The same negative stuff because he hates Parcells.
Well if Hanson even remembers where the hell Valley Ranch is located, a few more trips out there more often might make his job a lot easier.

TLW47

Reaction score
All I know and care about is that last season the Cowboys regressed and the powers that be seemed clueless for the most part.

Kittymama

Benched
Reaction score
JackMagist said:
Please spare me. All of those coaches with the exception of Capers and Schottenheimer have had significant competative playoff runs with their current teams before this year. And what the Chargers did with Schottenhimer this year was competative, had it not been I fully expect that he would ahve been gone. The Chargers playoff run and playoff game was competative and they could easily have won; unlike our playoff appearance in 2003 where we just showed up and were NOT competative. As for Capers I think his time is running out in Houston and he had better make a run next year or he could be replaced.

Um, I may not be a football expert, but Mariucci with Detroit--NO playoffs, Gruden with Tampa Bay--losing seasons & NO playoffs since the Super Bowl, Billick--one & done in recent years, Shanahan--one & done in recent years, Del Rio--NO playoffs with the Jags, Schottenheimer is legendary for never getting his teams past the first (occasionally the second) round, Lewis--NO playoffs with Cincy, Vermeil--one & done with the Chiefs, Martz & Sherman--cough, Haslett--NO playoffs with the Saints (maybe one, but so long ago I can't remember), Fisher--one & done or no playoffs in recent years, & I didn't put Tice on that list just because he finally made it to a playoffs after all this time. Remember--a lot of people here say that past history with Parcells doesn't count, so it can't count with these coaches either.

Hey, I'm not arguing that last season wasn't a major disappointment. But to expect any coach to quickly turn a team around & take it deep into the playoffs or they get canned is unrealistic. Funny--last year everyone was criticizing Pittsburgh for keeping Cowher, saying maybe he'd been with the team too long. Now some of the same sportswriters are commending Pittsburgh for the wisdom of giving a coach long-time security so he can rebuild a team without worrying about losing his job. I don't think it's out of line to be happy if the team shows some solid improvement this year with young players (including a QB) who will be around for a lot of years. If they get into the playoffs, great, but I don't think it's a disaster if they don't.

I'd have loved to see Henson play this past year. However, I don't know--& neither do you--how he actually looked during practice. This is one of those subjects that's been beaten to death & minds are never going to be changed, so it's pointless to argue. I'm one of those who don't think it's the end of the world that he didn't start; there are plenty who think he should have--we can argue ad infinitum with stats to back it up either way. What I'm encouraged by are the remarks coming from Jerry that they think either Henson or Romo have good enough talent that the team is willing to stand pat & develop them rather than look to draft a high-pick QB.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Jimz31 said:
Isn't it funny how that works?

The bottom line is that BP HAS made mistakes at the QB position. He had not only all season to rectify it, but he also had some of TC as well.

He stuck to his guns to the detriment of the team....the only question now is will he do it again?!?!?!?!

Not so much as funny as mysterious.

Mysterious how a genius suddenly had all of his football knowledge seep out of his head in 6 months, as some seem to believe.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Kittymama said:
Um, I may not be a football expert, but Mariucci with Detroit--NO playoffs, Gruden with Tampa Bay--losing seasons & NO playoffs since the Super Bowl, Billick--one & done in recent years, Shanahan--one & done in recent years, Del Rio--NO playoffs with the Jags, Schottenheimer is legendary for never getting his teams past the first (occasionally the second) round, Lewis--NO playoffs with Cincy, Vermeil--one & done with the Chiefs, Martz & Sherman--cough, Haslett--NO playoffs with the Saints (maybe one, but so long ago I can't remember), Fisher--one & done or no playoffs in recent years, & I didn't put Tice on that list just because he finally made it to a playoffs after all this time. Remember--a lot of people here say that past history with Parcells doesn't count, so it can't count with these coaches either.

Hey, I'm not arguing that last season wasn't a major disappointment. But to expect any coach to quickly turn a team around & take it deep into the playoffs or they get canned is unrealistic. Funny--last year everyone was criticizing Pittsburgh for keeping Cowher, saying maybe he'd been with the team too long. Now some of the same sportswriters are commending Pittsburgh for the wisdom of giving a coach long-time security so he can rebuild a team without worrying about losing his job. I don't think it's out of line to be happy if the team shows some solid improvement this year with young players (including a QB) who will be around for a lot of years. If they get into the playoffs, great, but I don't think it's a disaster if they don't.

I'd have loved to see Henson play this past year. However, I don't know--& neither do you--how he actually looked during practice. This is one of those subjects that's been beaten to death & minds are never going to be changed, so it's pointless to argue. I'm one of those who don't think it's the end of the world that he didn't start; there are plenty who think he should have--we can argue ad infinitum with stats to back it up either way. What I'm encouraged by are the remarks coming from Jerry that they think either Henson or Romo have good enough talent that the team is willing to stand pat & develop them rather than look to draft a high-pick QB.

I don't think I want many of those coaches you listed here in Dallas. I am also pretty sure that several are being bashed by their fans.

I don't think Bill should be fired, but there should be expectations that this team should be better next season. They should have been better this year. I think expecting them to go deep in the playoffs was unrealistic, but they should have improved on the performance of 2003.

Many felt that Dallas would be a little better team and still not have as good a record as 2003 and not make the playoffs. That was realistic. And if they would have been at least as good as 2003, they could have put together a 9-7 or 8-8 season and actually made the playoffs. But they weren't. They didn't address several needs in the off season and they had the opportunity to do it. They were worse and it doesn't look as if there are easy answers for their problems or one season turn arounds. It will take this season to get it started on track, and that is what I will be looking for.

I for one am disappointed that after two full years that Bill only went 6-10. That to me isn't much of an improvement over Campo's three straight 5-11 seasons. I am hoping for better and in two more seasons, if it isn't, then why not look for a change.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Jimz31 said:
Where's the doom and gloom? It seems to me that he is being pretty accurate here.

I usually don't are for Dale Hanson articles....but this one is right on the money. ;)

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I agree with you. Was it a bad season? Yes wasted season NO. As you pointed out some good came out of the season with the play of Jones and Witten and to a certain extent players like Crayton and Copper.

I was one of those saying it was a wasted season and I think that comment is a bit harsh and inaccurated so I am curbing my earlier stance because the development of Julius Jones was a major blessing. At the same time, last year should not have been a rebuilding year. We could have and should have built upon the 10-6 season by addressing our weaknesses so last season was wasteful to some degree but not a total degree.

Overall, this article is accurate. It may be hard to stomach; it may upset you but it doesn't change the fact that it's the truth.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'll agree with about 75% of what he says. I don't think we will get to cute in the draft and I believe BP will be on a spending spree this year.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
TheSkaven said:
I think what Hanson was eluding too, but did not say, is that it was a wasted year because we found nothing out about the QB position. He lobbied after week 12 for Drew Henson and was frustrated by Bill's stubborness.
those paying attention found out plenty about the QB position. we had an old guy who was serviceable and two kids who weren't ready. this gloom and doom $#!+ gets real old. every season there are a few teams that jump up - seemingly outta nowhere. i believe Pittsburgh's record was 6-10 last season. the NFL turns on a dime these days. we don't know what we'll get in FA or the draft. but we know we have two 1st rounders and we have every reason to believe the cowboys will be big-time players on the FA market. there will be more teams that rise up quickly into contention. why not us?

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
tothewhipbill said:
those paying attention found out plenty about the QB position. we had an old guy who was serviceable and two kids who weren't ready. this gloom and doom $#!+ gets real old. every season there are a few teams that jump up - seemingly outta nowhere. i believe Pittsburgh's record was 6-10 last season. the NFL turns on a dime these days. we don't know what we'll get in FA or the draft. but we know we have two 1st rounders and we have every reason to believe the cowboys will be big-time players on the FA market. there will be more teams that rise up quickly into contention. why not us?

Every year, I have been reading this type of response. During the Campo years, it was always: "Well, we stunk last year but today's NFL is so different that random teams come from nowhere and win a Superbowl." And then it never happens to us.

I'm sorry but the homer/glass is half-full response is irritating too. For once, I would like to copy what another successfull team in the NFL is doing instead of trying to be unique every year by thinking former baseball players are true diamonds in the rough. Pun intended

I can understand how the Doom and Gloom is irritating too. But maybe we could all come to some resolution where we are not all completely negative or positive.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
Waffle said:
That is a debatable assertion Jimz31. He stuck to his guns because he was more interested in winning ballgames than playing some rookie who has zero experience.

I know WE, the fans, would all like to have seen more of what Henson (or even Romo) would have done knowing Vinny is only temporary, but Bill sees these guys every day in practice. I believe that if he thought they were ready or had the chance to play as well or better than Vinny, we would have seen more of them. It's too early to label what Bill did at QB last season as a "mistake."

It would be great if Henson ends up our starter sometime next year, is successful, and credits BP for letting him watch in 2004 as one of the major factors for his success. I bet a few of the posters here on the 'ole messageboard will conveniently vanish (or re-join the Bandwagon) if that were to occur. ;)

Who cares if they are not ready. I don't work with Henson on a daily basis and I can tell you he wasn't ready but you have to start somewhere. I agree that you should try to make the playoffs but when the window is closed, you give your rook experience.

This idea of protecting him is just b.s. Who are you protecting Henson from, the fans' criticism? Guess what, the fans are not going to criticize him. It's not like he is starting the season. He is starting at a time when we have been eliminated from the playoffs. At that point, the fans critisim button is turned off.

Are we protecting Henson from other NFL teams? That argument is ludicrous too. He is going to have to go up against an NFL team some time; why not when the season doesn't count for anything and he can play with less pressure on him. "Well, he might get hurt." Well, he might get hurt next year too.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
Every year, I have been reading this type of response. During the Campo years, it was always: "Well, we stunk last year but today's NFL is so different that random teams come from nowhere and win a Superbowl." And then it never happens to us.

I'm sorry but the homer/glass is half-full response is irritating too. For once, I would like to copy what another successfull team in the NFL is doing instead of trying to be unique every year by thinking former baseball players are true diamonds in the rough. Pun intended

I can understand how the Doom and Gloom is irritating too. But maybe we could all come to some resolution where we are not all completely negative or positive.
dallas just came off a sorry season - but they didn't MARRY failure. some can see a light at the end of the tunnel, however dim. and some need to get way down there, dog the owner down to the towel boy for a few months, and have themselves a good long cry. to each his own.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
tothewhipbill said:
dallas just came off a sorry season - but they didn't MARRY failure. some can see a light at the end of the tunnel, however dim. and some need to get way down there, dog the owner down to the towel boy for a few months, and have themselves a good long cry. to each his own.

They didn't marry failure but they are dating it. No one said, we are permanently doomed but in regards to next season some people just want to be accurate. It's kind of like seeing a physician. Some patients want the real prognosis and others want to be told what they want to hear.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Hansen is paid to make print. He's entitled to his opinion. I doubt he knows anymore than most of us here about what's going on at Valley Ranch. And he can criticize Parcells all he wants. Parcells doesn't care and Parcells will coach his way. Hansen's not a coach. If it bothers you that's ok and if not that's good too. It won't change anything at the Ranch though.

Parcells is not a god, just a person who knows football in and out and will be in the HOF one day. Quite an accomplishment. He didn't turn from incredible genius last year to total dunce this year. Who knows what would have happened with Glenn around and JJ getting an earlier shot. Different team. He's also not responsible for all the injuries in the DB. He is for gambling like he did without getting vets in FA but he's a genius if he finds stars and stupid if he doesn't hit the flush.

And it's not just about winning and/or not developing Romo or Henson. All the other players on the team suffer in developing when you have a QB who just isn't ready. Think Witten would be in the Pro Bowl with Henson at QB all year?

Give the guy another couple of years before firing him. Until then complain all you want about the moves and not moves he makes. That's what the forum is for.

I'm excited about next year. I just hate it when the fish aren't biting and there's no wind in the sails.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
jobberone said:
Parcells is not a god, just a person who knows football in and out and will be in the HOF one day. Quite an accomplishment. He didn't turn from incredible genius last year to total dunce this year. Who knows what would have happened with Glenn around and JJ getting an earlier shot. Different team. He's also not responsible for all the injuries in the DB. He is for gambling like he did without getting vets in FA but he's a genius if he finds stars and stupid if he doesn't hit the flush.

Parcells is also human and regardless of his past accomplishments the mighty do fall. Jimmy Johnson never repeated his success in Miami. Mike Tyson got knocked out James Buster Douglas. Bill Walsh failed as a head coach when he returned to Stanford. Phil Jackson got outcoached by Larry Brown last year. Bob Stoops got humiliated and outcoached by Pete Carroll.

Parcell's past accomplishments don't erase what he did this season nor do they guarantee anything next season. Even geniuses can make mistakes and continue to make them. It remains to be seen. What you believe is entirely up to you but nothing is in stone.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
As much as I dislike Hanson, he is pretty much accurate in this article. It was a wasted year.

Wasted because after the 03 season he knew there were some glaring holes that needed to be addressed in the offseason, yet he went the cheap route. He decided that bringing in a bunch of washed up players who played well for him in the past, was enough to make the team better.

It didn't. This team would be much further along had he decided to spend some of the money last off season. There would be fewer holes to fill this year. Then the draft didn't go well either. Sure we got Julius, which was one of very few bright spots in the season, along with Witten. But he missed badly on Rogers, Peterman got injured and Thronton couldn't get on the field ahead of our 7th rounders, and when he finally did he blew out his knee.

We traded our first round pick last year for a first round pick this year, and hopefully it won't turn into a Rogers type pick from last year.

So it was a wasted year. We could have lost as many games playing younger guys and getting them experience and seeing if they were the future of the team. Right now we only know that we were a bad team playing with old players and have no idea if the few players on the team will be the part of the turn around of this team.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
Mr Cowboy said:
So it was a wasted year. We could have lost as many games playing younger guys and getting them experience and seeing if they were the future of the team. Right now we only know that we were a bad team playing with old players and have no idea if the few players on the team will be the part of the turn around of this team.
That in a nutshell is exactly what makes this a wasted season.

If Bill Parcells does no better making in game coaching decisions we will lose again. If he does no better making personnel decisions next year than he did this year we will lose. If he insist on sticking with Vinny (who incidently IS married to failure) then we will lose (granted we will lose some with the young QB's due to their inexperience but at least there will be hope that they are learning, hope for the future). If he refuses to play younger and more talented players because he is not "comfortable" with them or does not "trust" them (like he did playing Eddie George over ReShard Lee) then we will lose. Bottom line; unless Bill Parcells steps up HIS performance next year...we will lose.