Dorance Armstrong

timb2

Reaction score
I don't get this pick. I think this is our worst draft pick and rumors we thought of trading up into the 3rd to get him. WHY? He is 250 lbs and can't even run in the 4.7s barely breaks a 4.9 forty. He had 1 sack in 2017. All I hear is excuses."Well he is overcoming a knee injury".."Well he was doubled teamed"..."Well you know he is young at 20 years old". This is what I do know,HE DOES NOT HAVE WHAT IT TAKES....Beating Orlando Brown for a sack is really not that great or a thing with Orlando Brown running a 5.7 forty. WHAT AM I MISSING? ,AM I TAKING CRAZY PILLS OR SOMETHING??

John813

Reaction score
Maybe some crazy pills since you think a 40 time for a OL means anything in pass protection.
40 time would have some value(really the first 10 yards is what counts) for their ability to get to the second level in run blocking.

40 time for a defensive lineman too isn't as important, depending on his 10 yard split, as very rarely will you see a DL guy run 40 yards on any play. It's mainly about their explosiveness off the snap(10 yard split) and their 3 cone(to get a idea of their agility)
The "excuses" for Armstrong are similar to Tapper back in 2016. Scheme changed as so did their defined roles in the defense.
2016 in the 4-3, Armstrong had 10 sacks. This past year in the 3-4 he was asked to look/stop the run first.

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article210097004.html
Armstrong had 10 sacks and 20 tackles for loss in 2016, including a dominant showing in Kansas’ upset victory over Texas. In 2017, though, he regressed from a production standpoint with just 1.5 sacks and nine tackles for loss.

The Cowboys certainly believe Armstrong is more of the 2016 player than the 2017 player.

"Big discussion in the room," Stephen Jones said. "They had injuries there at Kansas and converted to a 3-4 early in the season because of injuries. I think he put on some weight and kept that weight on and really felt like that was in the best interest of the team. He’s an ultimate team guy who is just what we’re looking for and matches up with what Rod [Marinelli] is all abo

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-2018-scouting-report-for-dallas-cowboys-pick
POSITIVES

—Long-armed (34 ¾") edge-rusher with impressive burst and agility on a frame (6'4", 257 lbs) that can be built up.

—Raw athlete with the tools to be developed into a special edge-rusher. Smooth, twitchy mover.

—Excellent burst out of his stance; can beat blockers with his length or his first step.

—Uses his hands well to create space or redirect blockers; has a great stiff arm.

—Shows a variety of pass-rush moves and doesn't have to win with just speed. Likes to work inside or spin off blockers.

FWIW.

I admit I know little of him as I didn't expect the Cowboys to be too active on the DE side of the draft.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/behind-the-times-the-10yard-split/

some info on the importance of the 10 yard split.

Armstrong split was 1.69 or 1.70, seeing different info on different sites.
Which in that writers opinion is below average/Anthony Spencer level

chicago JK

Reaction score
I think you need to wait and see how it plays out. There it is nothing to do about it now.

If he turns out to be a Matt Johnson style reach, they will get the criticism they deserve.

All teams miss on picks but that doesn’t mean we can criticize a missed pick or a reward a pick that is gotten right.

garyv

Reaction score
I don't get this pick. I think this is our worst draft pick and rumors we thought of trading up into the 3rd to get him. WHY? He is 250 lbs and can't even run in the 4.7s barely breaks a 4.9 forty. He had 1 sack in 2017. All I hear is excuses."Well he is overcoming a knee injury".."Well he was doubled teamed"..."Well you know he is young at 20 years old". This is what I do know,HE DOES NOT HAVE WHAT IT TAKES....Beating Orlando Brown for a sack is really not that great or a thing with Orlando Brown running a 5.7 forty. WHAT AM I MISSING? ,AM I TAKING CRAZY PILLS OR SOMETHING??

Here is a piece written on Dorance Armstrong in 2017:

One general manager said they think Armstrong is a stud and can't see him staying for his senior year in 2018. They said that Armstrong could be on a par with, or better than, Boston College senior edge rusher Harold Landry. That general manager thought Landry would have been a late first- or second-round pick if he had entered the 2017 NFL Draft, and they liked Armstrong more than Landry.

Armstrong has a lot of Pass Rush Ability. Hes not a starter for us but a luxary to have in case there is an injury even to Lawrence this guy can pickup the Pass Rush if needed.

Our Defensive Line in my opinion I run with the best we have and that being: Lawrence DE, Irving DT, Koly DE and not sure at other DT spot but that's a pretty solid Pass Rush.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Armstrong is purely insurance at edge...in case of multiple scenarios. Tapper could be a bust,DLAW could regress or get hurt, Taco could get hurt or regress,Gregory could be off the team..who knows. Irvin could get suspended. This is a smart pick. Its called CYA.

timb2

Reaction score
Maybe some crazy pills since you think a 40 time for a OL means anything in pass protection.
40 time would have some value(really the first 10 yards is what counts) for their ability to get to the second level in run blocking.

40 time for a defensive lineman too isn't as important, depending on his 10 yard split, as very rarely will you see a DL guy run 40 yards on any play. It's mainly about their explosiveness off the snap(10 yard split) and their 3 cone(to get a idea of their agility)
The "excuses" for Armstrong are similar to Tapper back in 2016. Scheme changed as so did their defined roles in the defense.
2016 in the 4-3, Armstrong had 10 sacks. This past year in the 3-4 he was asked to look/stop the run first.

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article210097004.html
Armstrong had 10 sacks and 20 tackles for loss in 2016, including a dominant showing in Kansas’ upset victory over Texas. In 2017, though, he regressed from a production standpoint with just 1.5 sacks and nine tackles for loss.

The Cowboys certainly believe Armstrong is more of the 2016 player than the 2017 player.

"Big discussion in the room," Stephen Jones said. "They had injuries there at Kansas and converted to a 3-4 early in the season because of injuries. I think he put on some weight and kept that weight on and really felt like that was in the best interest of the team. He’s an ultimate team guy who is just what we’re looking for and matches up with what Rod [Marinelli] is all abo

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-2018-scouting-report-for-dallas-cowboys-pick
POSITIVES

—Long-armed (34 ¾") edge-rusher with impressive burst and agility on a frame (6'4", 257 lbs) that can be built up.

—Raw athlete with the tools to be developed into a special edge-rusher. Smooth, twitchy mover.

—Excellent burst out of his stance; can beat blockers with his length or his first step.

—Uses his hands well to create space or redirect blockers; has a great stiff arm.

—Shows a variety of pass-rush moves and doesn't have to win with just speed. Likes to work inside or spin off blockers.

FWIW.

I admit I know little of him as I didn't expect the Cowboys to be too active on the DE side of the draft.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/behind-the-times-the-10yard-split/

some info on the importance of the 10 yard split.

Armstrong split was 1.69 or 1.70, seeing different info on different sites.
Which in that writers opinion is below average/Anthony Spencer level

You said it right here

THOUGH HE REGRESSED TO 1.5 sacks

That tells me everything I need to know.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
You said it right here

THOUGH HE REGRESSED TO 1.5 sacks

That tells me everything I need to know.

No it doesn't he was forced to put on extra weight and play at DE in their 3-4 due to injuries on that team.

He was also asked to play the run more, which shows he is willing to sacrifice his own numbers for the better of the team. I would call that being the RKG.

You can never draft enough edge rushers in the later rounds. He may end up being a bust, but I personally like the pick.

Also, 40 times for DEs are overrated he has a good quick burst.

Db7OO49XcAAYuh1.jpg

kskboys

Reaction score
Armstrong is Anthony Spencer,worst case scenario. Best case...he's a poor mans Demarcus Ware. That aint bad guys.
You think Armstrong is Spencer? Why? Spencer was a tough run stopper w/ some pass rush. Army is a lightly built pass rusher w/ very poor strength and anchor ability. They are pretty much polar opposites. Spencer was a quality starter, Army appears to be a situational pass rusher.

Sorry, Ray, just don't get the comparison at all!!!!!!!!!!!!

JeffInDC

Reaction score

Aren't you the same game mocking Ade Aruna to the 'Boys as a 2nd Rounder? Yeah, teams thought so much about his speed that he went...............Pick 218!!!!!! Derek Barnett ran a 4.88 at basically the same weight (259). But, I guess he's not gonna amount to much in this league either by your logic.
:facepalm:

timb2

Reaction score
Armstrong is Anthony Spencer,worst case scenario. Best case...he's a poor mans Demarcus Ware. That aint bad guys.
Spencer could run fast Armstrong cannot. The NFL is a speed game. rarely top slow forty guys make it. Now some tank there forty time on purpose like Raiders Tim Brown did so the Lion,Bills,and Browns would not choose him so he slid to 5th pick in the 1st round because he wanted to be a Raider.....Jerry Rice tanked because he did not want players know how fast he really was,but for every rare occasion of a slow player,there are hundreds littered who looked in college like stars, but busted in the pros because they were too slow in the NFL......THINK ERASMUS JAMES 4.8 forty,Kony Ealy who I don't want either 4.8 forty,Shane Dronett,etc..... Good college players not good in the pros..

Verdammung

Reaction score
I wasn't that big on him. The one thing I saw consistently, which is probably what got Marinelli's juices flowing, is his motor. His team went 3-33 while he was there and he didn't take a snap off in any of the games I saw him play.

timb2

Reaction score
What on earth does Browns 40 time have to do with anything?
Orlando Brown got beat by Armstrong for a sack in college and I think people think that makes Armstrong good.No they are both bad.

kskboys

Reaction score
What on earth does Browns 40 time have to do with anything?
It's almost irrelevant. Granted, a 5.7 is a snail's pace, even for an OL, and it could indicate slow feet, but not necessarily.

Much more disturbing about Brown is his lack of anticipation and agility, and his weight struggles.

Bizwah

Reaction score
Spencer could run fast Armstrong cannot. The NFL is a speed game. rarely top slow forty guys make it. Now some tank there forty time on purpose like Raiders Tim Brown did so the Lion,Bills,and Browns would not choose him so he slid to 5th pick in the 1st round because he wanted to be a Raider.....Jerry Rice tanked because he did not want players know how fast he really was,but for every rare occasion of a slow player,there are hundreds littered who looked in college like stars, but busted in the pros because they were too slow in the NFL......THINK ERASMUS JAMES 4.8 forty,Kony Ealy who I don't want either 4.8 forty,Shane Dronett,etc..... Good college players not good in the pros..
So...did Emmitt tank? Did Michael Irvin tank? both ran 4.55

What about Terrell Suggs....he ran a 5 something I think?

Forty times don't matter. It's a tool. Nothing more.

timb2

Reaction score
Hey how is Damontre Moore doing in the league. ?He ran a 4.95 forty. Armstrong lovers your philosophy is Moore must doing great because was a sackmaster in college.Oops it didn't happen in the pros.

timb2

Reaction score
Aren't you the same game mocking Ade Aruna to the 'Boys as a 2nd Rounder? Yeah, teams thought so much about his speed that he went...............Pick 218!!!!!! Derek Barnett ran a 4.88 at basically the same weight (259). But, I guess he's not gonna amount to much in this league either by your logic.
:facepalm:

Yeah that's me. Aruna is raw but was athletic to be a better pro than Armstrong. Aruna went to the Vikings the same team who took a gamble on Daniel Hunter who was raw in college and he looks very good in the pros.

kskboys

Reaction score
So...did Emmitt tank? Did Michael Irvin tank? both ran 4.55

What about Terrell Suggs....he ran a 5 something I think?

Forty times don't matter. It's a tool. Nothing more.
Most don't even understand tanking or why it's done. Rice "tanking" the 40 is one of the most ridiculous ideas I've ever heard.

Dorrance's 40 does bother me a bit because he's a speed rusher who is weak against the run.