Dorance Armstrong

timb2

Reaction score
So...did Emmitt tank? Did Michael Irvin tank? both ran 4.55

What about Terrell Suggs....he ran a 5 something I think?

Forty times don't matter. It's a tool. Nothing more.

Irvin and Emmitt probably didn't want to be picked by the usual bottomfeeders also. Lions took Herman moore and not Michael Irvin that year...When Emmitt came out you had bootomfeeders again at the top and I think we got emmitt at #19 in the draft......Maybe they tanked because they didn't want the Browns,Lions,Bills, and the other scrubs to pick them.

Terrell Suggs was a rare one but for Suggs,you have dozens of Erasmus James,Damaontre Moore,and Kony Ealy's out there.

timb2

Reaction score
Most don't even understand tanking or why it's done. Rice "tanking" the 40 is one of the most ridiculous ideas I've ever heard.

Dorrance's 40 does bother me a bit because he's a speed rusher who is weak against the run.
Did Tim Brown tank his forty??? Yes he admitted he did... Also not a great player but a few years ago Kelvin Benjamin admitted he tanked his forty because he wanted to play with Cam Newton

Dorance Armstrong not a good run defender and does not have enough speed to beat NFL OtTs.

How is Armstrong going to beat Eagles Lane Johnson who ran a 4.72 forty?
Why do NFL teams put a premium on players with speed. OTs who run faster than others. Tell me why Orlando brown slid out of the 1st round to later I think the 3rd round??? Speed shows severals things.Explosion,dedication by all of their training their conditioning, This is a game of speed.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Armstrong will be just fine. Better than Tapper..who knows.

cowboysooner

Reaction score
This was a value pick. They had a high third on a premium position in the middle of the fourth. Taking him is a bpa pick.

The Oklahoma tackles Brown and Evans(who will be a top pick next year) thought he was the best defensive lineman they played in 2016. That included the Ohio State guys, the third round speed guy from Kstate, and Lawson from Auburn. When he is healthy and playing the edge he is an excellent player. Long arms, bend, and a spin move is a good place to start for a 21 year old guy.

timb2

Reaction score
3 LBs are same age in the draft all coming out at the same time. Lawrence Taylor,Derrick Thomas,and Terrell Suggs. BE HONEST who is your 1st choice and 2nd and 3rd choice.. This is not about character.this is based on their playing ABILITY. You know it, Suggs is the last pick you would choose.

JeffInDC

Reaction score
Yeah that's me. Aruna is raw but was athletic to be a better pro than Armstrong. Aruna went to the Vikings the same team who took a gamble on Daniel Hunter who was raw in college and he looks very good in the pros.

See Mike Mamula...................and, tell me how his awesome athleticism translated to superior NFL play.

timb2

Reaction score
This was a value pick. They had a high third on a premium position in the middle of the fourth. Taking him is a bpa pick.

The Oklahoma tackles Brown and Evans(who will be a top pick next year) thought he was the best defensive lineman they played in 2016. That included the Ohio State guys, the third round speed guy from Kstate, and Lawson from Auburn. When he is healthy and playing the edge he is an excellent player. Long arms, bend, and a spin move is a good place to start for a 21 year old guy.
Big 12 is not that good. I know they have streaks but compare who brings out the better pro players. SEC,BIG 10,ACC. I can't even remember a CB that came from Oklahoma and was a very good player in the NFL? I have no bias in college conferences and I call it like I see it. THANK GOD JERRY WAS NOT A LOVER OF THE WAC CONFERENCE!!!

kskboys

Reaction score
Did Tim Brown tank his forty??? Yes he admitted he did... Also not a great player but a few years ago Kelvin Benjamin admitted he tanked his forty because he wanted to play with Cam Newton

Dorance Armstrong not a good run defender and does not have enough speed to beat NFL OtTs.

How is Armstrong going to beat Eagles Lane Johnson who ran a 4.72 forty?
Why do NFL teams put a premium on players with speed. OTs who run faster than others. Tell me why Orlando brown slid out of the 1st round to later I think the 3rd round??? Speed shows severals things.Explosion,dedication by all of their training their conditioning, This is a game of speed.
Speed and explosion are two different concepts.

I think players tanking their 40 are morons. I'd never heard that Tim Brown tanked his 40. When did he admit this?

I also like speed, explosion, and burst. And to be clear, I didn't like this pick either. Hope we're wrong!!!

timb2

Reaction score
See Mike Mamula...................and, tell me how his awesome athleticism translated to superior NFL play.
I will when you can tell me why Damontre Moore is not in the league. ...

Yes there are combine studs who can't play football,but Mamula could run circles around Armstrong

timb2

Reaction score
Speed and explosion are two different concepts.

I think players tanking their 40 are morons. I'd never heard that Tim Brown tanked his 40. When did he admit this?

I also like speed, explosion, and burst. And to be clear, I didn't like this pick either. Hope we're wrong!!!
As soon as he was drafted by the Raiders Brown said he was so relieved.

John813

Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/combine/story/09...-be-so-quick-to-judge-a-player-by-his-40-time

Brown, the former Cleveland Browns head coach and Bengals founder, wanted to determine how fast his players were covering a punt, so he chose 40 yards -- the distance most punts traveled -- as a measuring stick. Little did he know that a 40 time would become such a huge phenomenon.

There have been players that time fast in the 40, but when watching them play football they don't look nearly as fast. Jets defensive end Vernon Gholston ran extremely well at the combine, but when he was evaluated on tape from Ohio State, his speed never translated to the field. Little wonder he has played three years in the league and has yet to record a sack. He isn't the only one. There have been countless workout warriors who have shown well at the combine and failed in the NFL.

Some players are fast, but do not play fast, while others time slow, but play fast in pads. And that is the key for finding the right balance when using the 40 times as a measuring stick. Like all things, when evaluating college players, everything falls back to the evaluation of playing the game. Does this player play fast? Can his 40 time be seen when he puts on his pads?

A lot more posters jumped on the Chark train after he ran a 4.34. However, he had a slower measured speed than James Washington(4.55 40) while in pads in the senior bowl practices/games.

Like stated before, I had no clue who Armstrong was and did not become a fanboy just because we drafted him. My stance is to not to take 40 times as a measuring tool for certain positions, such as linemen on both sides of the ball.
Also, going off stats without context can be misleading, as in the case of Armstrong who had position change along with a scheme change his last year there. Not saying he is guaranteed to be a great DE, but there's more to the story than just stat watching.

timb2

Reaction score
Since it's about production Dorance Armstrong 1.5 sacks in 2017. I SMELL HALL OF FAMER HERE!!!

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Orlando Brown got beat by Armstrong for a sack in college and I think people think that makes Armstrong good.No they are both bad.
What? Orlando Brown is not a bad prospect. I don't know what you are talking about.

40 times don't determine how good you are.
It's almost irrelevant. Granted, a 5.7 is a snail's pace, even for an OL, and it could indicate slow feet, but not necessarily.

Much more disturbing about Brown is his lack of anticipation and agility, and his weight struggles.
Yeah but goodness....its a offensive lineman lol.

timb2

Reaction score
No it doesn't he was forced to put on extra weight and play at DE in their 3-4 due to injuries on that team.

He was also asked to play the run more, which shows he is willing to sacrifice his own numbers for the better of the team. I would call that being the RKG.

You can never draft enough edge rushers in the later rounds. He may end up being a bust, but I personally like the pick.

Also, 40 times for DEs are overrated he has a good quick burst.

Db7OO49XcAAYuh1.jpg

Your chart is schlewed! Demarcus Lawrence ran a 4.69 forty at his pro day in 2014.

timb2

Reaction score
Tapper stays healthy,he beats out Armstrong

Tapper 4.59 forty----Armstrong 4.87 forty

timb2

Reaction score
So basically you’ll be the risen star version of his Dak hate with Armstrong. Yayyyyyyy
No I love Dak Prescott !! I am so happy he beat out Jerry's nephew Tony Romo because if he hadn't Romo would still be playing and every pass would be to Jason Witten no one else.Witten wouldn't be comtemplating retirement....I am the guy that has been in love with Rico Gathers and they can't get Witten out the door as fast enough for my taste.