Give you some pass rushers drafted late or not at all:

Cameron Wake
Robert Mathis
Dwight Freeney
Everson Griffen
James Harrison
Elvis Dumervil
Justin Houston

Not saying this guy is as good, but teams miss all the time every year.

Do not disagree with your point but Dwight Freeney should not be on your list, he was a 1st round pick.

JustChip

Reaction score
Just remember that most good players come from the 1st and 2nd rounds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmmm, maybe you're right, but I'd be interested in some facts to support that. The following article is an analysis of the Iggles by draft position:

https://www.pennlive.com/philadelphiaeagles/index.ssf/2018/04/philadelphia_eagles_roster_bre.html

Only 17 of their players were 1st or 2nd round which is well less than 50% of their roster. Of course, the issue is "good players". I think it's safe to say a starter is a good player. I haven't gone through the article completely yet, maybe those 17 were all starters on offense of defense which make the % well over 50%.

BTW, I'm not arguing you're right or wrong; your post just got me to thunkin about it and curious.

Dalmations202

Reaction score
Typical, Defending Champs DL.....1st, 1st,2nd,1st,-- BU 1st,1st, UD(Michael Bennett), then a 5th, 6th, and 3 more UD.

Dallas.......DL is one of those positions we don't need to put resources into.

I don't understand Dallas thinking. Heck even the Giants beat NE by getting the best DL they could. It gave them a chance.

kskboys

Reaction score
Hmmm, maybe you're right, but I'd be interested in some facts to support that. The following article is an analysis of the Iggles by draft position:

https://www.pennlive.com/philadelphiaeagles/index.ssf/2018/04/philadelphia_eagles_roster_bre.html

Only 17 of their players were 1st or 2nd round which is well less than 50% of their roster. Of course, the issue is "good players". I think it's safe to say a starter is a good player. I haven't gone through the article completely yet, maybe those 17 were all starters on offense of defense which make the % well over 50%.

BTW, I'm not arguing you're right or wrong; your post just got me to thunkin about it and curious.
Someone posted the numbers a couple years ago. Don't remember the exacts, but it was swayed toward the first two rounds.
Just looked down the Eagles roster, and 13 starters came from the first two rounds.
Another 3 came from the 3rd round.

JustChip

Reaction score
Someone posted the numbers a couple years ago. Don't remember the exacts, but it was swayed toward the first two rounds.
Just looked down the Eagles roster, and 13 starters came from the first two rounds.
Another 3 came from the 3rd round.

Overall, 54% of their starting 24 (I went with 2 RB + 3 WR and 3 LBs + 2 Safeties + 4 CBs) were either 1st or 2nd round. Certainly that qualifies as "most", but it's not near as high as I expected it to be. And 3 of the 24 were UDFA (including on the OL); again, kind of surprising to me.

The interesting thing is you can see where they place emphasis. Three of their DL are 1st rounders and the other is a 2nd; their OL doesn't have a single 1st rounder and only one 2nd rounder. It obvious their philosophy is to emphasize the DL where we emphasize the OL. Not making a case which is best, but they did win a SB following this philosophy and we haven't yet so a case could be made that their philosophy trumps.

kskboys

Reaction score
Overall, 54% of their starting 24 (I went with 2 RB + 3 WR and 3 LBs + 2 Safeties + 4 CBs) were either 1st or 2nd round. Certainly that qualifies as "most", but it's not near as high as I expected it to be. And 3 of the 24 were UDFA (including on the OL); again, kind of surprising to me.

The interesting thing is you can see where they place emphasis. Three of their DL are 1st rounders and the other is a 2nd; their OL doesn't have a single 1st rounder and only one 2nd rounder. It obvious their philosophy is to emphasize the DL where we emphasize the OL. Not making a case which is best, but they did win a SB following this philosophy and we haven't yet so a case could be made that their philosophy trumps.
PITT and NYG both won 2 super bowls on the strength of their DL. It's such a huge factor.

Jumbo075

Reaction score

Cowboys could have the following starting lineup:

Offense - six 1st or 2nd round picks
4th round pick - QB Dak Prescott
1st round pick - RB Zeke Elliott
6th round pick - TE Geoff Swaim
3rd round pick - WR Terrance Williams
3rd round pick - WR Michael Gallup
1st round pick - WR/RB Tavon Austin
1st round pick - OT Tyron Smith
2nd round pick - G Connor Williams
1st round pick - C Travis Frederick
1st round pick - G Zack Martin
undrafted - OT La'el Collins

Defense - nine 1st or 2nd round picks
1st round pick
- DE Taco Charlton
1st round pick - DT Datone Jones
2nd round pick - DT Jihad Ward
2nd round pick - DE DeMarcus Lawrence
2nd round pick - LB Sean Lee
1st round pick - LB Leighton Vander Esch
2nd round pick - LB Jaylon Smith
1st round pick - CB Byron Jones
2nd round pick - CB Chidobe Awuzie
6th round pick - S Xavier Woods
undrafted - S Jeff Heath

2nd round picks Randy Gregory and Kony Ealy could also be backups.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
While some fans might be worried about Armstrong’s 40-yard dash time, his former head coach at Kansas David Beaty gave his explanation for why his combine time didn’t match the tape.

“Well, Dorance has never weighed 260 pounds since he’s been here. He came in very, very heavy. I’m not sure who exactly he was training with, but my way of dealing with him would not be carrying that kind of weight. The guy we know, one of his biggest attributes is his speed and quickness . . . Dorance never ran even remotely close to the (4.87) times he ran for the scouts. He’s been a high 4.5 to mid 4.6 guy every day when he was at the right weight: I think what they’re going to see is one of the most explosive guys develop in the NFL when it comes to getting off that edge. They found them a pass rusher. They got them a guy, no doubt.”

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/20...ofile-kansas-jayhawks/?utm_source=cowboyswire

NotForLong

Reaction score
No it doesn't he was forced to put on extra weight and play at DE in their 3-4 due to injuries on that team.

He was also asked to play the run more, which shows he is willing to sacrifice his own numbers for the better of the team. I would call that being the RKG.

You can never draft enough edge rushers in the later rounds. He may end up being a bust, but I personally like the pick.

Also, 40 times for DEs are overrated he has a good quick burst.

Db7OO49XcAAYuh1.jpg
It shows that he is capable of playing the run as pass. Everyone knows outside lb. Get the sacks 3-4. He manned up and made the move. On a terrible terrible team

sbark

Reaction score

And yet pff etc consistently have ranked Eagles oline ahead of ours, now that may switch as they age and ours mature/peak but....good coaching

Appears investment in d.line pays higher and quicker dividends and longer.....than o.line investment, where solid coaching can yield high returns. Example 90's Dallas teams with fa Newton, position switch tunica, 3rd stepnoski and big e, 2nd round allen

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Defense - nine 1st or 2nd round picks
1st round pick
- DE Taco Charlton
1st round pick - DT Datone Jones
2nd round pick - DT Jihad Ward
2nd round pick - DE DeMarcus Lawrence
2nd round pick - LB Sean Lee
1st round pick - LB Leighton Vander Esch
2nd round pick - LB Jaylon Smith
1st round pick - CB Byron Jones
2nd round pick - CB Chidobe Awuzie
6th round pick - S Xavier Woods
undrafted - S Jeff Heath

sigh... we criminally undervalue this position.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Typical, Defending Champs DL.....1st, 1st,2nd,1st,-- BU 1st,1st, UD(Michael Bennett), then a 5th, 6th, and 3 more UD.

Dallas.......DL is one of those positions we don't need to put resources into.

I don't understand Dallas thinking. Heck even the Giants beat NE by getting the best DL they could. It gave them a chance.

Jerry doesn't copy the good teams. Never has. Our formula is a good OL and triplets.

TheDuke

How 'Bout Dem Cowboys
Reaction score
Jerry doesn't copy the good teams. Never has. Our formula is a good OL and triplets.

That's not true at all. In the early 2000's Jerry hired Jerry Reilly to be the Offensive coordinator. He fired Chan Gaily and went back to the timing based 'Air Coryell' offense to please Aikman.
The rams greatest show on turf was in it's heydey and they had speed all over the place. So Jerry thinks he can duplicate that offense by trading 2 first rounders for Joey Galloway and another 3rd for James McNight. Rocket Ismael was still on the team then too. Everyone talked about Kurt Warner's accuracy and that was one of Aikman's strengths so Jerry Jones thought he could get that kind of offense in Dallas. Wrong.

How about Jerry reaching for Quincy Carter because the thought around the league at that time was you need a mobile quarterback who could run. The days of the statute pocket qb were deemed over. You had guys around the league like Donovan McNabb, Dante Cullpepper, Steve McNair, Aaron Brooks, Michael Vick, Mark Brunell, Jeff Garcia, and others. After the failure of the end of the Aikman era Jones decides to do a 180 and go with the mobile qb's. Why? Because that is what everyone else was doing and he thought it would work in Dallas. Wrong again.

To say that Jones always had one formula and NEVER has tried to copy the other teams is straight up stupid. Sorry bout it. But it is.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's not true at all. In the early 2000's Jerry hired Jerry Reilly to be the Offensive coordinator. He fired Chan Gaily and went back to the timing based 'Air Coryell' offense to please Aikman.
The rams greatest show on turf was in it's heydey and they had speed all over the place. So Jerry thinks he can duplicate that offense by trading 2 first rounders for Joey Galloway and another 3rd for James McNight. Rocket Ismael was still on the team then too. Everyone talked about Kurt Warner's accuracy and that was one of Aikman's strengths so Jerry Jones thought he could get that kind of offense in Dallas. Wrong.

How about Jerry reaching for Quincy Carter because the thought around the league at that time was you need a mobile quarterback who could run. The days of the statute pocket qb were deemed over. You had guys around the league like Donovan McNabb, Dante Cullpepper, Steve McNair, Aaron Brooks, Michael Vick, Mark Brunell, Jeff Garcia, and others. After the failure of the end of the Aikman era Jones decides to do a 180 and go with the mobile qb's. Why? Because that is what everyone else was doing and he thought it would work in Dallas. Wrong again.

To say that Jones always had one formula and NEVER has tried to copy the other teams is straight up stupid. Sorry bout it. But it is.

Thats a bunch of garbage. You can't prove a thing here. There was never any attempt to copy the Rams. Galloway was signed to replace Irvin. Gaily was fired b/c he failed.

The fact is that Aikman was done after the 2000 season. The cowboys waived him b/c he didn't want to retire. The notion that Jerry was putting all these pieces in place around Aikman to copy the Rams is fantasy.

JustChip

Reaction score

The moral of the story is, it doesn't matter what everyone else is doing, you have to build your team collectively in A system that fits that talent and have the coaching to maximize it. The me-too teams are, by nature, are always trying to play catch up.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
Just so you guys know I didn’t like OPs posts when he posted them, I liked them today because they’re hilarious.