Dose of Reality

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was the first pre-season game. I guess in a way, we all expected the team to come out and dominate some aspect of the game. However, you have to keep several things in mind before reacting to the results last night.

The most important thing to realize is that the Cowboys played a soft zone defense. There is no way they will consistently do that in real games given the talent they have at the defensive back position. We can speculate all day that it was to "not give away secrets" due to playing them in a future game, but the reality is that Parcells wanted to see how good his defensive pass rush was and there was no way he could get an accurate assessment of those players if the receivers were being shadowed closely.

Another important aspect is that the Cardinals offensive play calling was designed based on the Cowboys defense. In other words, they were attacking the defensive weaknesses (aka: true play calling) while the Cowboys were playing a soft zone. On the other side, the Cowboys were calling plays to test players and quarterbacks and it made no difference what defense the Cardinals were using each time.

The offensive line had not played together in that line-up so it will take a little time for the players to get a feel for each other's tendencies.

The defense was rushing 5 players on the line just about every single play the first strings were in.

Say what you want about the offensive line, but Bledsoe had "happy feet" every single play. I wasn't worried about completions last night .. I just wanted to see a quarterback who was confident even when rushed. Bledsoe was the only one of the three who was not.

Romo and Henson both impressed me last night. Romo's touch is nice but against first team defenses, the little floating throws he made will be intercepted excluding of course the awesome pass he made over the shoulder of a running Witten.

Henson didn't look like a deer-in-headlights for the first time. He looked mostly comfortable and didn't seem to focus on the pass rush at all. The best quarterbacks are always focused on their receiving targets and move away from the rush based on "feel" not direct visual contact (like Bledsoe did last night).

And the last thing to keep in mind .. just because a player was first, second, third, etc. string last night does not mean that's where they will be when the season starts. I believe Parcells spread the players out better so each string on the field would be somewhat competitive rather than getting to the third string and putting together a team of your worst players.

Then again, this is just my opinion :)

-Reality

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Reality said:
It was the first pre-season game. I guess in a way, we all expected the team to come out and dominate some aspect of the game. However, you have to keep several things in mind before reacting to the results last night.

The most important thing to realize is that the Cowboys played a soft zone defense. There is no way they will consistently do that in real games given the talent they have at the defensive back position. We can speculate all day that it was to "not give away secrets" due to playing them in a future game, but the reality is that Parcells wanted to see how good his defensive pass rush was and there was no way he could get an accurate assessment of those players if the receivers were being shadowed closely.

Another important aspect is that the Cardinals offensive play calling was designed based on the Cowboys defense. In other words, they were attacking the defensive weaknesses (aka: true play calling) while the Cowboys were playing a soft zone. On the other side, the Cowboys were calling plays to test players and quarterbacks and it made no difference what defense the Cardinals were using each time.

The offensive line had not played together in that line-up so it will take a little time for the players to get a feel for each other's tendencies.

The defense was rushing 5 players on the line just about every single play the first strings were in.

Say what you want about the offensive line, but Bledsoe had "happy feet" every single play. I wasn't worried about completions last night .. I just wanted to see a quarterback who was confident even when rushed. Bledsoe was the only one of the three who was not.

Romo and Henson both impressed me last night. Romo's touch is nice but against first team defenses, the little floating throws he made will be intercepted excluding of course the awesome pass he made over the shoulder of a running Witten.

Henson didn't look like a deer-in-headlights for the first time. He looked mostly comfortable and didn't seem to focus on the pass rush at all. The best quarterbacks are always focused on their receiving targets and move away from the rush based on "feel" not direct visual contact (like Bledsoe did last night).

And the last thing to keep in mind .. just because a player was first, second, third, etc. string last night does not mean that's where they will be when the season starts. I believe Parcells spread the players out better so each string on the field would be somewhat competitive rather than getting to the third string and putting together a team of your worst players.

-Reality

Well said.

We've got a real problem behind center at this point.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Could not have said it better myself......the dosage given by Reality was just right.

I would say we are in good shape w/our backup QB's. Wish I could say the same for the starter.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Well put, at this point I have lot of concerns about Bledsoe.

At the same time, as much as I think Romo was the best among three, He also showed, he might be liable with his hieght, when blitzed especially. He might be a pretty good Backup QB, I just hope I am wrong and might be a pretty good starting QB if he does ever start.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cbz40 said:
I would say we are in good shape w/our backup QB's. Wish I could say the same for the starter.
Maybe Bledsoe is only keeping that spot warm for Romo or Henson. :eek:

lspain1

Reaction score
I agree with you Reality on everything except the OL. I don't think there was much excuse for the OL play with the exception of Petitti. We'll see about Rogers but RT is where the problem looks glaring. At least we have some options at QB. I don't know what our options are at RT except to hope Petitti comes on strong.

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
Reality said:

Bledsoe also seems to nervously move the ball up and down while he is holding it. He looks afraid. Also, it seems to me Henson is always slow to get out from center. I agree it is early, but i think we all expected a little more from the Cowboys last night.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
Good post, Reality. I think you were a little too kind to the offensive line, but I agree with everything else you said. I listened to the game, but couldn't watch it so I can't comment on Bledsoe's happy feet.

Bungarian

Butt Monkey
Reaction score
Very good thread.

I don't think center is a problem. Gurode is a backup and Johnson played OK. The one play he got knocked back he was pulling and the TE missed his block.

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
RCowboyFan said:
Well put, at this point I have lot of concerns about Bledsoe.

At the same time, as much as I think Romo was the best among three, He also showed, he might be liable with his hieght, when blitzed especially. He might be a pretty good Backup QB, I just hope I am wrong and might be a pretty good starting QB if he does ever start.

I disagree here. His height won't be near the liability that Henson's side-arm release is ... he definitely wasn't utilizing the new throwing motion. Perhaps, that's why he looked ok last night ... key word being "ok" ...

But Romo is a baller and like I've been saying, Parcells favors Romo.

I think if anyone on the roster is our 'future', it's Romo.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
I thought Romo looked a hell of a lot more like an NFL QB last night than I did at any point last season. Do you guys agree? I mean yea he's got to get better, but I can see him doing that now.

BlueStar II

Reaction score
Well said Reality, I think you made some very good points and now let's just hope that we correct those concerns from last night's game in practice this week. As far as QB goes, for a guy who has as much experience at QB as Bledsoe has, it definitely left me with some concerns about our starting QB spot.

Bungarian

Butt Monkey
Reaction score
In the end what happened to Bledsoe is the cards game planned and got lots of pressure. Parcells did not gameplan so we did not see that part of the game.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Reality, I think you went to easy on the oline too.

We've all seen enough early preseason oline catastrophes to know many of the issues straighten themselves out. And as you say, the configuration last night might not have been featured enough in practices for the players to have figured out each other's tendencies.

I kinda think Rivera was so swamped on both ends last night, he gets the benefit of any doubt, and Flo's miss on the Berry sack was reasonably explained by a poster who was at the game.

But the sheer volume of the goofs, and the apparent slowness off the ball, on everyone's part, is troubling.

Dre HAS been getting first team starts between LA and MR...and it's hard to attribute such a forceful domino effect to the RT position alone.

Even for preseason game one, that was a scary outing.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Reality said:

-Reality

Best analysis I've read so far... how'd you get so smart??

lspain1

Reaction score
silverbear said:

That's easy...he routinely studies under the masters at Cowboyszone (I'll let you decide who that might be) :)

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:
I disagree here. His height won't be near the liability that Henson's side-arm release is ... he definitely wasn't utilizing the new throwing motion. Perhaps, that's why he looked ok last night ... key word being "ok" ...

But Romo is a baller and like I've been saying, Parcells favors Romo.

I think if anyone on the roster is our 'future', it's Romo.

I am sure that has nothing to do with your Agenda!! :rolleyes:

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
Good analysis. My only difference of opinion is that Bledsoe had "happy feet" because as soon as he finished his drop he had D-lineman barreling down his grill. I think the O-line didn't give Bledsoe much of a chance. I hope to see improvement in our second pre-season game.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
silverbear said:

He stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.:laugh2:

burmafrd

Reaction score
I was watching the first qtr and there was pressure on every passing play. That and Bledsoe still getting familiar with the O and the receivers makes this one a wash. But the RT position is going to have to be shored up.