Twitter: Doug Farrar's top 30 defensive free agents

Carson

Reaction score
Nice to dream but until we see who is tagged and who is resigned before March 16th then the list is sort of what does it matter. We just don't know who will be available and who won't. And the bigger question is who will Dallas resign. Will Dallas get Randy Gregory resign, and how about Jayron Kearse or anyone else before March 16th? Things are going to change a lot between now and the start of free agency.
IMO

Kearse - Yes
Schultz - Tagged
Gregory - Gone

Cooper, Collins, Smith, Dak, Lawrence restructured.

I see a bunch of guys back on cheap deals. Wilson, Hooker, Anger, McQuaide, Watkins

fivetwos

Reaction score
Who would you personally rather give the money to? Gregory? Or Von Miller?
Hysterical. That was part of my original thought but it would have ran into babble zone lol.

I think we know what we would do, but what is Jerry gonna do? I think we know that answer also.

Let's see what each eventually signs for but watch and see if the guarantee portion isn't very close. Close enough to where that money could have gone to Miller with a negligible difference.

It would seem that a 3 year deal that he will actually play through would be a nice fit for Miller to wrap up a HOF career, but I think the kid has already made it clear that they aren't going to be in on the top guys.

Wouldn't mind having him around to school Parsons either (keep dreamin son lol)

They will find the money for Gregory though, and I won't be convinced that Jerry's refusal to give up on a pet project is still very much part of it.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why wouldn't we get any of those guys on that list. I've heard for the last 2 years that certain mammoth contracts mean nothing to the salary cap.....oh yes, read it many many times in defending the value of players

I admit, I did not look at the entire list. It was just too long scrolling through at the time. I had other things to do.
Just thought I would make that comment, as do we really think they will be more involved in FA as before. :laugh:

jrumann59

Reaction score
I have no idea but I know that

1. every single one of the safeties on that list is better than him

2. also that Kearse is a product of Quinns scheme

I would let him test the market and set his price for a 2-3 year deal before deciding to match or not
Yes Kearse could be a product of the system. He could re-sign and keep rising, or he could go somewhere else and keep rising, or he could be at his plateau. His replacement would likely be a similar boat, can the system make them better, or does his replacement fall flat. Much of the NFL is about systems and less about players, lets be real most guys in the NFL are good athletes not good football players. Good football players can play in any system.

fivetwos

Reaction score
He is another small linebacker, which suggests to me, Dean could be high on Quinn's wishlist for the draft.
Yep.

I waffle between Dean and Green/Johnson at 24.

I think interior OL is the biggest issue on the team, and even our top OL are getting up there in years.

But can I find a fly around, no doubt starter from day one LB later in the draft? Probably not, and there ought to be capable OL later on.

The defense isn't complete, but it was good enough last year.

We still need to outscore teams to beat them, and this running game, as is, isn't gonna cut it.

shabazz

Reaction score
I admit, I did not look at the entire list. It was just too long scrolling through at the time. I had other things to do.
Just thought I would make that comment, as do we really think they will be more involved in FA as before. :laugh:

i agree with your comment. We just window shop the blue chippers during free agent but wind up with project players and jags.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Yep.

I waffle between Dean and Green/Johnson at 24.

I think interior OL is the biggest issue on the team, and even our top OL are getting up there in years.

But can I find a fly around, no doubt starter from day one LB later in the draft? Probably not, and there ought to be capable OL later on.

The defense isn't complete, but it was good enough last year.

We still need to outscore teams to beat them, and this running game, as is, isn't gonna cut it.
Yes, biggest issues are the run game on both sides of the football. Think Dean actually helps stopping the run and could allow Parsons to be used as a flex option.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
There is Clowney and his Clone Gregory......
both are flawed.

I am kind of ready to move on from gregory. he is very undisciplined. he was a disaster in the SF game playing against a tough nosed opponent and let his emotions get the better of him. multiple penalties. multiple plays missed. he was irrelevant in the game. now he is going to be 30 next year. time to move on. as Bilicheck and Walsh used to say, I rather get rid of a guy a year too early, than a year too late.

I had proposed to move Micah to his spot, as he is a force as a pass rusher. then sign or draft a MLB. micah can do so much from that spot including drop into coverage to confuse the offense. we can get two LBs for the price we would have to pay Gregory

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Actually been thinking the same thing.....MM's not shy about squeezing a year or two from an aging vet. Remember Julius Peppers spent the latter part of his career with the packs. I could be wrong, but I'm getting a strange feeling we could very see BOTH our DEs walk. I think DLaw is def gone ( refusing a pay cut ) and Gregory will get more G-money on the open market than Stephen offers

Not sure how much control McCarthy had over bringing in Peppers. Green Bay had a real GM who did the shopping.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yes, biggest issues are the run game on both sides of the football. Think Dean actually helps stopping the run and could allow Parsons to be used as a flex option.
We won't stop the run until we form a complete DLine. LB's will keep getting hurt until we learn to stuff the middle first.

visionary

Reaction score
Yes Kearse could be a product of the system. He could re-sign and keep rising, or he could go somewhere else and keep rising, or he could be at his plateau. His replacement would likely be a similar boat, can the system make them better, or does his replacement fall flat. Much of the NFL is about systems and less about players, lets be real most guys in the NFL are good athletes not good football players. Good football players can play in any system.

its not complicated

he failed at multiple places before succeeding here

he is better close to LOS

we were going to go with Wilson before Kearse showed up and Wilson will be cheaper

there are multiple better FA safeties this year

this is a deep draft for safeties

put these together and there is absolutely no way a competent GM would overpay for Kearse

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Actually been thinking the same thing.....MM's not shy about squeezing a year or two from an aging vet. Remember Julius Peppers spent the latter part of his career with the packs. I could be wrong, but I'm getting a strange feeling we could very see BOTH our DEs walk. I think DLaw is def gone ( refusing a pay cut ) and Gregory will get more G-money on the open market than Stephen offers

I expect that both are gone. Parsons is our #1 edge rusher now, and he's real damn good. The defense needs to be built around him. Have a rotation opposite him.

I see us with more 3 dlinemen looks. Passing downs, it's 4.

fivetwos

Reaction score
We won't stop the run until we form a complete DLine. LB's will keep getting hurt until we learn to stuff the middle first.
You're right, but they have thrown high picks at it in recent years.

Those guys need to step it up.

Think about it logically....when you're a team that use the draft only to find starting players, you can't have as many 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounders of late that we don't want to count on overall.

A 2nd, two 3rds, and a 6th used at DT in the last three drafts and its still a crying need.

A 3rd, 4th and 5th were used on Biadasz and McGovern. They each need to be replaced.

3rds on Golston and Wright....neither looks like a starter....and the jury is very much still out on Joseph.

4th rounder Reggie Robinson ain't gonna happen, and 5th rounder Anae is long gone.

Every team misses on some picks, but do we really draft well enough to punt on FA every year?

So.....either these mid round types start producing, or we aren't going to be very good. Mediocre-ish, I'd guess. Exactly what we are outside of division play.

Seems logical to me.

kskboys

Reaction score
You're right, but they have thrown high picks at it in recent years.

Those guys need to step it up.

Think about it logically....when you're a team that use the draft only to find starting players, you can't have as many 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounders of late that we don't want to count on overall.

A 2nd, two 3rds, and a 6th used at DT in the last three drafts and its still a crying need.

A 3rd, 4th and 5th were used on Biadasz and McGovern. They each need to be replaced.

3rds on Golston and Wright....neither looks like a starter....and the jury is very much still out on Joseph.

4th rounder Reggie Robinson ain't gonna happen, and 5th rounder Anae is long gone.

Every team misses on some picks, but do we really draft well enough to punt on FA every year?

So.....either these mid round types start producing, or we aren't going to be very good. Mediocre-ish, I'd guess. Exactly what we are outside of division play.

Seems logical to me.
That's because we have a poor evaluation system for DT. And a 6th rounder is a dart throw, not using resources.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I expect that both are gone. Parsons is our #1 edge rusher now, and he's real damn good. The defense needs to be built around him. Have a rotation opposite him.

I see us with more 3 dlinemen looks. Passing downs, it's 4.

I don’t see them using Parsons full time at DE.