Twitter: Doug Free could miss 3-4 weeks with a foot injury

Trendnet

Reaction score

From that now awesome, third and 20 play. I think Doug Free totally stonewalled his guy here, didn't even sniff Romo on this play. I know people think he will be easily replaced. But in my opinion, he has been having a pretty good season so far.

gxdtil3avgqq7c1lfvoh.png

laf8id9hvjehnkcfyyib.png

hmwff9qhphp4xrs8r2se.png

ccfkzightamqe1dlgytg.png

DallasInDC

Reaction score
what I would like to see more than anything its for Parnell to walk away with the starting right tackle job and never look back.it would be great to get out starting right tackle without having to a draft pick, sign a high cost FA, or have to give Free a big contract.

fifaguy

Reaction score
Parnell will step in as the immediate starter. Will probably need to add another o-lineman for depth.

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
If he were out for the year, I'm worried. This is a GREAT opportunity for us to see what we have in Parnell (who is 4 years younger, bigger, and stronger than Free).

I expect our run game to not skip a beat. We can have our TEs, FBs, or RBs help him out in the passing game - if need be.

I'm a little concerned about chemistry, but not that much because Parnell has been around for a few years now and knows the system and has OTAs/TC experience with this line.

Last edited:

Macnalty

Reaction score
It might have hit the trifecta.
Cowboys beat Seattle.
I've got free tickets to next game.
Parnell is going to play.

I immediately thought of you when I heard about this injury. Hope he is as good as you think.

Hoov

Reaction score
It might have hit the trifecta.
Cowboys beat Seattle.
I've got free tickets to next game.
Parnell is going to play.

Hey X,

Can you post a brief review or your oppinion on Parnell in this thread ?

I dont know a whole lot about him except a while back some posters who were unhappy with free wanted him to take over ASAP, though i dont think that was so much an endorsement of his play as much as they were disappointed in free.

Then i read somewhere he wasnt having a great preseason this year.

Would like to see what you think

links18

Reaction score
Free is by far the worst member of the offensive line. Not sure if Parnell is better or not. We'll find out I guess.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Free is by far the worst member of the offensive line. Not sure if Parnell is better or not. We'll find out I guess.

I hope he plays well but honestly if he was better he would be starting and Free would be sitting.

Lonestar94

Reaction score

You make it seem like he sucks, when he is one of the best RT's in football. Parnell has some heavy shoes to fill if you ask me.

Nation

Reaction score
Next man up. We've had good injury luck on the offensive side of the ball thus far, injuries are always going to happen at some point.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
It's not DEFINATE he is gonna miss time.

IRVING — Although Doug Free hopes to play Sunday, the starting right tackle could miss three to four weeks with a sprained foot, according to a source.

“I think he’s OK,” Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said Monday. “He’s dealing with that injury, and we’ll see what it is here over the next few days.”

Free has started 77 consecutive games, but his streak now is in jeopardy. The Cowboys have four games remaining before their bye week, including a Nov. 9 game in London against Jacksonville.

Free sprained his right mid-foot with 3:23 left in Sunday’s victory over the Seahawks on a 6-yard run by DeMarco Murray. Jermey Parnell, who has two career starts, helped pave the way for Murray’s 15-yard touchdown run on the next play.

Parnell played five snaps, with Free returning for the victory formation kneel down to end the game.

“Jermey did a really nice job,” Garrett said. “He didn’t play many plays in the game, but he played some important ones. He’s been dealing with a rib injury and hasn’t been able to practice fully the last few days but came in and just really responded well to the situation. It’s part of knocking a guy all the way on his back on that first one. He came off the ball. One of the challenges for a guy like that going into a game like is everybody’s been playing for a while and the crowd noise and all that kind of stuff, you get used to that. All of a sudden you come in, and …you’re kind of clean and all that, but everyone else is kind of well into this thing, and I thought he responded well emotionally to that situation and mentally to that situation, and those were big plays that he played.”

Don't listen to JG on injuries. Romo was day to day going into week 17 last year according to JG.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Don't listen to JG on injuries. Romo was day to day going into week 17 last year according to JG.

I'll take Free's and Garrett's word more than a so called source from a news media report. And if you go to the Boys website, no mention of Free's so called injury. If it was 3-4 weeks, it'd be up on the front page.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
From that now awesome, third and 20 play. I think Doug Free totally stonewalled his guy here, didn't even sniff Romo on this play. I know people think he will be easily replaced. But in my opinion, he has been having a pretty good season so far.

gxdtil3avgqq7c1lfvoh.png

laf8id9hvjehnkcfyyib.png

hmwff9qhphp4xrs8r2se.png

ccfkzightamqe1dlgytg.png

This is hilarious. You see three Seattle defenders closing in on Romo.

Then you see Free ten yards away at the LOS not giving an inch.

It's so bad, you would think Free is illegally downfield.

Kudos to him.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hey X,

Can you post a brief review or your oppinion on Parnell in this thread ?

I dont know a whole lot about him except a while back some posters who were unhappy with free wanted him to take over ASAP, though i dont think that was so much an endorsement of his play as much as they were disappointed in free.

Then i read somewhere he wasnt having a great preseason this year.

Would like to see what you think
The quick summary:

He is big, quick and really strong with long arms but has very little experience because he was a basketball player in college. He had never played OT until he came to the Cowboys.

He played reasonably well in 2012 with 1 start at LT and 3 quarters plus overtime in another at LT. He then split time with Free at RT for the final 4 games that season. He was as good as Free.

In the 2013 training he was inline to compete with Free but got injured and missed all but 1 preseason game and couldn't challenge Free.

This past presesason he was reported to have problems, but in the actual preseason games he played reasonably well. He had many dominant plays in the run game and was generally good in Pass Pro, but will generally have 1 or 2 plays bad plays per game that are usually mental.

IMO, the only way a player like this can take the next step is to play in real games. Zack Martin played 52 games on OL in college; whereas Parnell played zero.

When he has had bad plays it usually on his first or second snap of the game. He has been better when he played OT than when he has played as a blocking TE.

I'm convinced that physically he is a better player than Free, but he has much much less experience and will likely make a couple of mistakes if he starts.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
The quick summary:

He is big, quick and really strong with long arms but has very little experience because he was a basketball player in college. He had never played OT until he came to the Cowboys.

He played reasonably well in 2012 with 1 start at LT and 3 quarters plus overtime in another at LT. He then split time with Free at RT for the final 4 games that season. He was as good as Free.

In the 2013 training he was inline to compete with Free but got injured and missed all but 1 preseason game and couldn't challenge Free.

This past presesason he was reported to have problems, but in the actual preseason games he played reasonably well. He had many dominant plays in the run game and was generally good in Pass Pro, but will generally have 1 or 2 plays bad plays per game that are usually mental.

IMO, the only way a player like this can take the next step is to play in real games. Zack Martin played 52 games on OL in college; whereas Parnell played zero.

When he has had bad plays it usually on his first or second snap of the game. He has been better when he played OT than when he has played as a blocking TE.

I'm convinced that physically he is a better player than Free, but he has much much less experience and will likely make a couple of mistakes if he starts.

Well I really think its interesting how much things can change, wasn't long ago everyone wanted Free gone, now that we have been successful everyone has a different view of Free. I hate to lose Free but I am very interested to see what we have in Parnell, he could accidently take the job, and imagine the future of this line with Parnell's youth without having to spend a high pick on an OT.

Anyone notice the pancake block on Murray's TD by Parnell?? Might wanna see it, I figure he will be just fine.

Dorsett33

Reaction score
Lol...did anyone else notice how Leary (65) had his man blocked at the 32 yard line and the guy never budged Leary in all of the frames...lol

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
what I would like to see more than anything its for Parnell to walk away with the starting right tackle job and never look back.it would be great to get out starting right tackle without having to a draft pick, sign a high cost FA, or have to give Free a big contract.

I do agree with this from the standpoint that Parnell is younger and right now, would be cheaper. (If he plays well that will change, though.)

I think based on Dallas saying Free will be OK, I'd have him dress for the Giants game but start Parnell. Then, if Parnell struggles, bring in Free. If Parnell wants the job, he better earn it quickly (although I don't expect him to keep it when Free gets healthy, he could at least show he deserves it).