Doug Free is a liability

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yes saying we should have matched Parnells deal and kept him is a huge overreaction.

So please tell me you would feel good about paying Parnell 5 years and 35million with 13m guaranteed when he is already 29 years old and has 6 career starts that were not very impressive starts.

Overreaction at its finest.

And has been even worse then Free this yeat

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Floaty, am I saying he's good or even average?

No.

But to expect each and every member of this offensive line to be dominate on every play is not realistic.

You can't expect "dominant" at every position on the offensive line... It's not going to happen.

Not when you have 22 starters.

Nor is Free the worst RT in the NFL.

This offense is going to have to work around the limitations at RT... Other offenses do it and this one can too.

I could live w/ average.....But Doug Free's breakdowns cause a ripple effect for everybody..... and that you can't live with. When you have an average of 60 plays a game on offense....And your RT is giving up 10 plays a games where he is giving up a penalty or blowing an assignment...that's alot. Your basically saying just plan on Doug Free screwing up on every possession...and live with it. As a coach or GM...I don't think you live w/ that. That's a drive killer:banghead:that this team can't over come w/ a backup QB.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Im going to go study some All22 and come back and tell you all that Parnell is awful

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Im just kidding of course

A Cowboys fan watching All22 of Parnell as a Jaguar would overtake Chris Crockers " Leave Brittny Alone!" as the saddest thing in the history of the internet

jnday

Reaction score
Free hasn't been good.

PFF has Free as the 51st rated OT (out of 78).

That jells with what I'm seeing. He's been bad on penalties... He's been less than good as a pass blocker and run blocker. Not horrible, but certainly not good.

For comparison Parnell is the 53rd rated OT per PFF. Parnell has been a superior run blocker and better at avoiding penalties but his pass blocking has been bad.

Free has allowed 0 sacks, 2 QB hits and 16 pressures.

Parnell has allowed 1 sack, 11 QB hits and 18 pressures.

Good info Mike.

superonyx

Reaction score
I could live w/ average.....But Doug Free's breakdowns cause a ripple effect for everybody..... and that you can't live with. When you have an average of 60 plays a game on offense....And your RT is giving up 10 plays a games where he is giving up a penalty or blowing an assignment...that's alot. Your basically saying just plan on Doug Free screwing up on every possession...and live with it. As a coach or GM...I don't think you live w/ that. That's a drive killer:banghead:that this team can't over come w/ a backup QB.

Where is the stats that support this level of breakdown from Free.
I'm curious because fans have a tendency to see things worse than they actually are.

It's obviously Doug Free's turn to be hated on Cowboyszone. Do the stats support this or is this just some posters "observations ".

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm curious because fans have a tendency to see things worse than they actually are.

It's obviously Doug Free's turn to be hated on Cowboyszone. Do the stats support this or is this just some posters "observations ".

Agreed.

Where is the supporting info that Free is as bad as Floaty states?

Floaty implies that Free is the worst RT in the NFL and is holding back the offense all on his lonesome.

31smackdown

Reaction score
So speaking of Green.. any news of him working his way back into practice? He should have 3 weeks here for them to decide if they will take him off PUP right?

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Simple google search for Parnell news. First one I clicked:

Watt's most common opponent on Sunday is likely to be Jaguars right tackle Jermey Parnell. The free agent signing from the Dallas Cowboys has been the standout on the Jaguars offensive line and has been a mauler both in pass protection and the run game.

Parnell will have a huge task in blocking Watt for the majority of the game, but so far, he has been worthy of such a matchup.

Pass Protection

Watt has four sacks and four batted passes this season with all of them coming from left defensive end position. Watt's ability to impact his opponent's passing game is well-documented but Parnell has the length to keep him off-balanced. Parnell is a superior athlete to most right tackles and has the speed to stay on top of Watt, who is ridiculously quick off the line.

Outside of some brief moments in the opener against the Carolina Panthers, Parnell has been a wall as a pass blocker. Obviously, Watt's mix of speed and strength is unrivaled by any of his previous matchups (or the league for that matter), but Parnell has shown the ability to protect his quarterback well in his time in Jacksonville thus far.

In the run game

As I have documented before, the Jaguars strength is running to the right side of the line. With Watt facing Parnell, running right may be a bit harder than in the previous five games. That said, Watt is used throughout the defensive line, so the Jaguars may attack the right when the Pro Bowl defensive end is playing on the left side. Parnell has been an asset as a run blocker and it shows in the statistics.

Running back T.J. Yeldon has been at his best running to the right side. Parnell has been able to move linemen out of the way with ease, even with his right guard changing from Brandon Linder to A.J. Cann. Parnell will also have to take on the likes of Whitney Mercilus, Jared Crick and even Jadeveon Clowney at times.

If Parnell can continue his steady play against a solid defensive front, Blake Bortles and Yeldon should have little worry about from the right side.
http://www.firstcoastnews.com/story...uars-week-6-x-factor-jermey-parnell/73905074/

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here's what Broaddus posted about Free:

I was very critical of the way Doug Free played in the game, but from studying the tape – my assessment was incorrect. Free did not execute well in that final drive, where Michael Bennett did take advantage of him. Free was able to handle his assignments in the running game -- not only on the front side with the ball behind him, but making those backside cut off blocks as well. Free’s positioning in those run blocks was consistent throughout the game, which I initially had questions about. In pass protection he was able to set his feet the majority of the game and when he and Zack Martin had to pass twist stunts – they were right where they needed to be. Thought I needed to make that correction.

I myself am not painting Doug Free as any sort of world-beater, but I think the level of disgruntleness with his play far exceeds what's actually happening out on the field.

Bottom line-Free has not had a good season, but he ain't at the Torrin Tucker/Rob Pettiti level either.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Agreed.

Where is the supporting info that Free is as bad as Floaty states?

Floaty implies that Free is the worst RT in the NFL and is holding back the offense all on his lonesome.

Ok....I'll play along today......Here is just one example of where Free gets beat. He is walked right back into Cassell's lap...obstructs his view...and Cassell can't complete the pass because he can't see nor step into the throw.

This play was the turning point in the Giants loss.

http://i201.***BLOCKED***/albums/aa181/Floatyworm/DSC06913.jpg~original

And now the hecklers are silent...........Want to continue to play this game of "Doug Free sucks"? I've got 4 game tapes and all day to play this game....

Last edited:

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
superonyx said:

Getting away w/ a holdhttp://i201.***BLOCKED***/albums/aa181/Floatyworm/DSC06914.jpg~original

Almost getting Cassell killed...again

http://i201.***BLOCKED***/albums/aa181/Floatyworm/DSC06915.jpg~original

False start....Doug Free....drive killer

http://i201.***BLOCKED***/albums/aa181/Floatyworm/DSC06916.jpg~original

3rd and short....Completely gets blown off the ball 3 yards.....

http://i201.***BLOCKED***/albums/aa181/Floatyworm/DSC06917.jpg~original

dallasdave

Reaction score
Ok....I'll play along today......Here is just one example of where Free gets beat. He is walked right back into Cassell's lap...obstructs his view...and Cassell can't complete the pass because he can't see nor step into the throw.

And now the hecklers are silent...........Want to continue to play this game of "Doug Free sucks"? I've got 4 game tapes and all day to play this game....

:thumbup::clap:

MagicMan

Reaction score
Being that he is now the weakest link on this line......he not only is a liability, he also sucks. Might as well put a blocking dummy out there, at least he slows down the DE just a little bit, and is much cheaper. :D

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Come'on... get real!

EVERY player in the NFL gets beat.

Your hate of the guy smell agenda driven.