Doug Free is a liability

khiladi

Reaction score
Free was starting last year as well... So they made a decision based on last year... Everybody was saying that Murray was a product of the line that included Free. Now it's Free's fault..

Maybe the audibles of Romo masked some of the deficiencies of Free as well. Maybe Callahan is a better coach than Frank. Maybe Garrett's system sucks as well.. And so on..

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I don't know how Cowboy fans can defend Free. He has been terrible since we signed him to that 4/32m deal.

He needs all kinds of help and still gets bullrushed at will. He only stayed because he took a 50% pay cut.

For some reason we doubled down after having the chance to walk away.

His cap hit is 7m this year with 3m in dead money next year.

It isn't a cheap mistake.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Free isn't the sole reason this offense struggles but he's a huge part of it. When playing tight games every inch counts, I mean we lost by one point geez...

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Free isn't the sole reason this offense struggles but he's a huge part of it. When playing tight games every inch counts, I mean we lost by one point geez...

I think that's the most valid point in this entire thread.

My personal view is that if the 51st rated OT in the NFL, out of 78 is reason your team isn't winning then the rest of the team has some serious questions.

Quite honestly this team overall disappoints me more than any other over the past several seasons... including the 2010 debacle.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

NFL Insiders on ESPN just highlighted Free against MBennett on a third and 2 in the 4th. Free fell flat on his face and MBennett made the play that forced a punt. Then we lost.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
The one person that is the top expert on the subject thought he was better than Free. Bill Callahan the OL coach wanted to bench Free in 2012 and start Parnell but Garrett refused. Jerry intervened and the compromise was to rotate them in the final 4 games that season. This was the first sign of the rift between Callahan and Garrett and the beginning of Callahan interfacing directly with Jerry which eventually lead to Callahan becoming the playcaller in 2013 over Garrett's objections. This then resulted in Callahan wanting to leave for the equivalent job in Washington.
I have no reason to doubt you, but is this common knowledge? I dont remember reading this before

burmafrd

Reaction score
I have no reason to doubt you, but is this common knowledge? I dont remember reading this before
it was out there that Callahan was down on Free. Red Ball does not exactly have a good record with those he champions (Brad Johnson, Weeden as two examples)

pancakeman

Reaction score
Quite honestly this team overall disappoints me more than any other over the past several seasons... including the 2010 debacle.
Seriously?! I feel frustration and pity for this crew, but nothing like the sheer embarrassment I felt watching the 2010 team flat out quit.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Seriously?! I feel frustration and pity for this crew, but nothing like the sheer embarrassment I felt watching the 2010 team flat out quit.

That's the difference. I was embarrassed for the 2010 team. I didn't have high hopes for that squad.

This team was different. I had expectations. I'm not embarrassed for this team. I'm disappointed in this team.