DPOTY: Is Daron Bland a Lock?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
That's a valid point, but I think most of his picks were just great plays, as opposed to poor throws.
The argument I see against that is that because of the pass rush, Bland can afford to break on passes like the one Thursday because QBs don't have time to look deep. He can cheat on the shorter routes.

I do believe there's validity to that. We've had two of the league's top interceptor for that, and pressure has certainly contributed to that. I just don't think you can take away from his accomplishments, especially being able to get to the end zone for an NFL record after those picks.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
At this point, Daron Bland has to be an absolute lock for defensive player of the year…….right?

He has already set an NFL record with 5 INT returns for TDs.

Stephon Gilmore won DPOTY a few seasons ago, and I assume that he didn’t have anywhere near the flashy stats/records.

Who would even be a remotely competitive alternative, and how on earth could you not give it to Bland?
this was the post i was looking for or i was going to make one....he has to be in serious consideration DPOY....and realizing that is 5 pick 6's in only 11 games
and there are many DB's who got yellow jackets with far less than 5 in a whole career....it not in top 1-3 total rip off

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
he needs 10 int return td's probably. sacks are way too sexy of a stat.
mr burrito( my favorite food of all time)----- but to get 5 in 11 games and many DB's with yellow jackets that may not have half that many in whole career?

and this league 100 years old too...it same as a rusher getting 25 sacks a season ....even though record 22 cause of 17th game...bland has 6 games to get

one more and is averaging almost 1 every 2 games....but now they wont throw his way....if we are blowing anyone out let bland switch around or travel...just to

get record?...remember when Favre let..oh man whats his name on Giants?...let him break record...Favre just fell down when he got within 3 feet of him?

shabazz

Reaction score
At this point, Daron Bland has to be an absolute lock for defensive player of the year…….right?

He has already set an NFL record with 5 INT returns for TDs.

Stephon Gilmore won DPOTY a few seasons ago, and I assume that he didn’t have anywhere near the flashy stats/records.

Who would even be a remotely competitive alternative, and how on earth could you not give it to Bland?
He’s definitely our DPOY. Like they say on ESPN, “That Boy Bad”!

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The argument I see against that is that because of the pass rush, Bland can afford to break on passes like the one Thursday because QBs don't have time to look deep. He can cheat on the shorter routes.

I do believe there's validity to that. We've had two of the league's top interceptor for that, and pressure has certainly contributed to that. I just don't think you can take away from his accomplishments, especially being able to get to the end zone for an NFL record after those picks.
mr gimmie---did you hear i think post game....they said one thing about Bland...he does not take unnecessary chances...just smart player second year in league
and he had most INT's on our team last year as rookie...Diggs only had 3....not putting Diggs down at all....but if you have bland and Diggs on field same time
you cant say we wont throw to that side of field ....one of them may have to learn how to play opposite side or nickel.....but me still likes Gilmore too....lets keep em
all???

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Seriously? I’m wondering how long he can keep up his CURRENT pace of playmaking. Please - change NOTHING.
mr Corner--- did you see stat...with our DC since 2021 we have 48-49 take aways most in league ???....they usually say its not sustainable????....not so sure

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
This is only Blands 2nd year. Unless they just recently changed the rules it's you can't sign a new deal till after you've finished your 3rd year
mr Tuss----exactly...we do need to find away not to lose our defense....cant Jerry make hidden side deals??..like i would tell any of them....you know if you play

for Dallas you will have much better career when you get out of football.....i dont want to lose our good players....i want us to be the BEAST of the EAST?

maybe someone like Parsons can say guys....lets work something out and give hometown discount...plus no state sales tax....that has to be incentive

great place raise family and own land etc...i mean Staubach made over 600 million in real estate when he got out....and if you are Cowboy player the state

pretty much gives you the key to city as long as you aint screw-up?

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He broke a nfl record for pick 6 touchdowns.

He’s had some of these pick 6s on prime time games.
He isn’t a boom or bust corner, either.

Bland isn’t a lock but I think tonight definitely bumped him into the top 3 which is still fluid at this time of the season
will only get better...takes a corner usually 3-4 years to be on top of his game?

gimmesix

Reaction score
mr gimmie---did you hear i think post game....they said one thing about Bland...he does not take unnecessary chances...just smart player second year in league
and he had most INT's on our team last year as rookie...Diggs only had 3....not putting Diggs down at all....but if you have bland and Diggs on field same time
you cant say we wont throw to that side of field ....one of them may have to learn how to play opposite side or nickel.....but me still likes Gilmore too....lets keep em
all???
I don't see us re-signing Gilmore, but I'd love it if he'd stay on a cheap deal to be the nickel guy. Lewis' contract is up next year, so it's probable that we'll re-sign one, but Lewis will likely be willing to pay for much less than Gilmore. I know that we like Eric Scott's potential, but I don't think we should just rely on him instead of bringing back a vet.

Who knows, maybe Gilmore likes it so much here, he's willing to stick for less, knowing that he's not quite the player he once was.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I don't see us re-signing Gilmore, but I'd love it if he'd stay on a cheap deal to be the nickel guy. Lewis' contract is up next year, so it's probable that we'll re-sign one, but Lewis will likely be willing to pay for much less than Gilmore. I know that we like Eric Scott's potential, but I don't think we should just rely on him instead of bringing back a vet.

Who knows, maybe Gilmore likes it so much here, he's willing to stick for less, knowing that he's not quite the player he once was.
gimmie---personally as player do you like Eric Scott from what you have seen?

gimmesix

Reaction score
gimmie---personally as player do you like Eric Scott from what you have seen?
I liked what I saw from camp, but not so much what I saw in the preseason games, where he regressed. They say the speed of the game picks up in preseason games and then again in regular-season games, so hopefully it was just a temporary setback for a player coming from a smaller school. Not everyone can be DaRon Bland.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
I didn’t mean that many pick 6’s but total int’s. I think it would take a total of 11-12 along with his 5 pick 6. Garrett has 13 sacks so he’s on pace to hit the record and while sacks aren’t as valuable as an int, they do get the most hype
Diggs got 11 and was the first player in 40 years to do that. So Bland would need to break the all-time pick-six record and tie the 40-year INT record to be in the conversation? Gilmore won DPOY in 2019 and his 16-game stats were inferior to all of Bland’s 11-game stats. More so than a bias for pass rushers, there’s a bias for recognizable names. That’s probably why Parsons didn’t win his rookie year. A seasoned vet would’ve probably won with Parsons’ rookie numbers. And Gilmore probably won because he was already a multi-time All-Pro DB.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Add Richard Sherman.........I don't care what other defense players have done this year. This kid made history by breaking one of the most elusive records in the league.

CWR

Reaction score
Lol....the guy won't even get a second contract here. No way in hell is Jerry gonna pay for another CB. NOT HAPPENING....

I love it when people spout their opinions as fact. You don't have a clue.

conner01

Reaction score
Diggs got 11 and was the first player in 40 years to do that. So Bland would need to break the all-time pick-six record and tie the 40-year INT record to be in the conversation? Gilmore won DPOY in 2019 and his 16-game stats were inferior to all of Bland’s 11-game stats. More so than a bias for pass rushers, there’s a bias for recognizable names. That’s probably why Parsons didn’t win his rookie year. A seasoned vet would’ve probably won with Parsons’ rookie numbers. And Gilmore probably won because he was already a multi-time All-Pro DB.
You have a DE on pace to set the sack record. Which do you think is gonna get more hype? If he doesn’t get a very high int number they won’t even remember the 5 pick 6’s
There’s a reason guys with big sack numbers generally win it even though an int is a much more impactful play than an int. But Diggs didn’t get a vote by getting a 40 year high in ints

conner01

Reaction score
No, I knew you were talking about standard ints. I said it that way to make it clear that I knew you didn't mean another 11 ints...Clearly I failed. :laugh:
To me an int is way more impactful than a sack. A sack can still allow a team to score. But sacks seem to get much more hype

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
To me an int is way more impactful than a sack. A sack can still allow a team to score. But sacks seem to get much more hype
Probably because of the contact and the fact that they have to go through someone to get there. Both are exciting, but like you said, an interception is more impactful - unless it's a strip sack, recovered by the defense.