DPOTY: Is Daron Bland a Lock?

Toro9

Reaction score
Stanback and Youmans answered this question in COWBOYS OT last night. There's a guy with 13.5 sacks but what's more important? 14 sacks or 7 turnovers, especially when Bland would rank 15th in TD receptions if he was a receiver.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Looking at other guys who had record.

‘71 Ken Houston, Oilers, 4-9-1 no playoffs, 9 picks, 4 TDs (DPOY DT Alan Page)
’72 Jim Kearney, Chiefs, 8-6 no playoffs, 5 Picks, 4 TDs (DPOY DT Mean Joe Greene)
‘93 Eric Allen, Eagles, 8-8 no playoffs, 6 Picks, 4 TDs (DPOY DB Rod Woodson)
’23 DaRon Bland, Cowboys, 8-3 and 6 games left, 7 Picks, 5 TDs

Doesn’t look like he’s in lock territory yet. League has always favored Front 7 for this award and even when they did give it to a DB in ‘93, it wasn’t the guy who tied the record. But most of the previous record holders didn’t have many additional INTs above the Pick-6, and were on losing teams.

Bland adds some more INT and/or Pick 6 though, going to be harder to deny him.

Offenses around the league, Keep challenging humble #26. I dare you.

At this point, Daron Bland has to be an absolute lock for defensive player of the year…….right?

He has already set an NFL record with 5 INT returns for TDs.

Stephon Gilmore won DPOTY a few seasons ago, and I assume that he didn’t have anywhere near the flashy stats/records.

Who would even be a remotely competitive alternative, and how on earth could you not give it to Bland?

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Stanback and Youmans answered this question in COWBOYS OT last night. There's a guy with 13.5 sacks but what's more important? 14 sacks or 7 turnovers, especially when Bland would rank 15th in TD receptions if he was a receiver.
Yeah, I saw that, good point from them. Not sure if the AP guys debate this award like they do the HOF nomination process but if they did, it’s the biggest thing I would bring up. You want to just make them lose yards, or completely change the momentum and score for the defense?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I don’t see him winning it. Pass rusher dominate the vote plus Micah will pull some votes from him
If he has several more interceptions and/or a couple more pick 6's, I could easily see him winning it. He has six more regular season games to work with, so I think it's a very good possibility.

NDGAEDE

Reaction score
Yeah, I saw that, good point from them. Not sure if the AP guys debate this award like they do the HOF nomination process but if they did, it’s the biggest thing I would bring up. You want to just make them lose yards, or completely change the momentum and score for the defense?
Bland's TDs are a big reason we've blown out so many opponents. They literally change the entire game and teams can't get back into it.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Bland's TDs are a big reason we've blown out so many opponents. They literally change the entire game and teams can't get back into it.
Agree. Sacks are great, and sometimes result in a turnover, and offenses often capitalize and score either a TD or a FG. Once in a while a strip sack can result directly in a defensive score.

A pick 6 is always an immediate defensive score. I'll take a pick 6 over 2 sacks for turnovers, or 4 regular sacks without a turnover.

Dustincoelho

Reaction score
Thats OK. His puck 6's have made me 6k. I can risk 100.

Risk it for sure. I made a bet yesterday morning before the game on bodog for Bland to win DPOY, $360 to win $28,800. I have never celebrated an interception like that in my life. I don't think bodog does cash out offers but I wouldn't take it right now.

conner01

Reaction score
If he has several more interceptions and/or a couple more pick 6's, I could easily see him winning it. He has six more regular season games to work with, so I think it's a very good possibility.
He could.
IF he has more then maybe. But remember in 2021 Diggs had 11 picks and didn’t even enter the conversation. That was the most in 40 years and not one vote

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He could.

IF he has more then maybe. But remember in 2021 Diggs had 11 picks and didn’t even enter the conversation. That was the most in 40 years and not one vote
True, but interceptions aren't as impressive as pick 6's. And the 5 pick 6's (6es?) Bland has are an NFL record, and in only 11 games. Plus Diggs was more feast or famine than Bland has been (I think), meaning his gambles hurt more than Blands have.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Certainly moved up the ranks.

How are his other stats though?
Pass defensed, yards or TD's given up. How are the QB's passer ratings against him.
All of those need to be considered as well, or probably should be.

Last week there was a tweet, had him at 8,000 to 1 odds. And tied for around 6th or so. That has to been cut in half or more by now.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
He was noticed last week, tonight put him on the map. There are a few things not working in his favor:

Not a household name
Not a DE with lots of sacks
On the same team as Micah
Minimal mainstream coverage

Those above will keep him below the likes of Bosa, Watt, Garrett, etc. If he keeps this up, he will be in those serious conversations in the future.
Minimal mainstream coverage? It’s the Cowboys. After last night, the new record, in front of millions, they will all be talking about Bland because they’ll have to review his resume going all the way back to his rookie year, which was remarkable in itself.

The talking points are all there.