DPOTY: Is Daron Bland a Lock?

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Minimal mainstream coverage? It’s the Cowboys. After last night, the new record, in front of millions, they will all be talking about Bland because they’ll have to review his resume going all the way back to his rookie year, which was remarkable in itself.

The talking points are all there.
Last night is why I said put him on the map. He will now get a lot of coverage.

BigDPlayer

Reaction score
At this point, Daron Bland has to be an absolute lock for defensive player of the year…….right?

He has already set an NFL record with 5 INT returns for TDs.

Stephon Gilmore won DPOTY a few seasons ago, and I assume that he didn’t have anywhere near the flashy stats/records.

Who would even be a remotely competitive alternative, and how on earth could you not give it to Bland?
He dang well should be a lock. DB broke a record the likes of which we may never see again in our lifetimes. If that isn't DPOY worthy, nothing is. breaking records = legendary recognition.

Book it. Go Cowboys!!

btgboys41

Reaction score
Boy is he making a case. Because there are high profile matchups with great receivers against Miami and Buffalo, he has a shot to seal the case shut. Playmakimg against Diggs and T Hill will garner a ton of attention. However, it’s high stakes cuz he could also get roasted. Will be fun to see things play out.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
He should move way up that list with the odds of winning DPOY and will definitely get votes for it. The sack leader probably still has the inside track right now but if Bland gets 3-4 more Ints, he has a serious chance. Should he get another pick 6 this year, who seriously could deny him unless someone breaks to sack record to?

Tussinman

Reaction score
If it's not Bland then will most likely be Myles Garret. Once pace for like 20 sacks and 7 forced fumbles. Defense is the main reason too why they will reach double digit wins (RB has season ending injury and I think they're on their 3rd string QB ?) so voters like that.

conner01

Reaction score
True, but interceptions aren't as impressive as pick 6's. And the 5 pick 6's (6es?) Bland has are an NFL record, and in only 11 games. Plus Diggs was more feast or famine than Bland has been (I think), meaning his gambles hurt more than Blands have.
That’s true but I don’t see it unless he gets 11-12 total ints. The pass rushers get so much hype even though an int is a much bigger play than a sack

817Gill

Reaction score
Bland will sit out if he wins DPOTY....No way he would play on that contract....and if he does...he should be firing his agent.
He’s not eligible for a contract extension lol sitting out wouldn’t get him any closer to a deal what are you saying

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
That’s true but I don’t see it unless he gets 11-12 total ints. The pass rushers get so much hype even though an int is a much bigger play than a sack
If it takes that many, including the 5 he's returned, they're just stupid...but hey, I never claimed they weren't stupid.

conner01

Reaction score
If it takes that many, including the 5 he's returned, they're just stupid...but hey, I never claimed they weren't stupid.
I didn’t mean that many pick 6’s but total int’s. I think it would take a total of 11-12 along with his 5 pick 6. Garrett has 13 sacks so he’s on pace to hit the record and while sacks aren’t as valuable as an int, they do get the most hype

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I didn’t mean that many pick 6’s but total int’s. I think it would take a total of 11-12 along with his 5 pick 6. Garrett has 13 sacks so he’s on pace to hit the record and while sacks aren’t as valuable as an int, they do get the most hype
No, I knew you were talking about standard ints. I said it that way to make it clear that I knew you didn't mean another 11 ints...Clearly I failed. :laugh:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
At this point, Daron Bland has to be an absolute lock for defensive player of the year…….right?

He has already set an NFL record with 5 INT returns for TDs.

Stephon Gilmore won DPOTY a few seasons ago, and I assume that he didn’t have anywhere near the flashy stats/records.

Who would even be a remotely competitive alternative, and how on earth could you not give it to Bland?
It's a tough award to win as a defensive back. I can see his success being partly explained away by the amount of pressure we get.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It's a tough award to win as a defensive back. I can see his success being partly explained away by the amount of pressure we get.
That's a valid point, but I think most of his picks were just great plays, as opposed to poor throws.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
I’m curious how the national narrative moves around him. Is this looked at as a novelty stat? A “Hey, that’s cool! But it’s not a sign of dominance” statistic? Or is he viewed as a nightmare for opposing offenses?
The only ppl that would think he isn’t dominant aren’t following Bland. He’s dominant throughout the game with great coverage, tackles, etc.