Dr. Dre, Snopp Dogg, Eminem, Kendrick Lamar, and Mary J. Blige to preform Super Bowl Halftime Show

RaZon

Reaction score
The powers that be trying to zero in on a very small % football fans, most are way beyond hip hop.

And the NFL knows this....

For NFL the average fan age is 47 and for hockey it's 50. The average NBA fan is 37 years old who views on TV, the average of the fan who visits the game is 36. The average income of a sports fan is about $95k a year.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
The powers that be trying to zero in on a very small % football fans, most are way beyond hip hop.

For NFL the average fan age is 47 and for hockey it's 50. The average NBA fan is 37 years old who views on TV, the average of the fan who visits the game is 36. The average income of a sports fan is about $95k a year.

Do 47 year olds not listen to hip-hop? Most Snoop and Dre fans would have grown up in the 90's when they were at their peak. Even Eminem in the late 2000's. My dad is a huge hip-hop fan and he's in his 50's.

RaZon

Reaction score
Do 47 year olds not listen to hip-hop? Most Snoop and Dre fans would have grown up in the 90's when they were at their peak. Even Eminem in the late 2000's. My dad is a huge hip-hop fan and he's in his 50's.

That's right most 47 year olds have moved past hip hop simply because it doesn't fit where they now are in life.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
I find it more interesting to watch the themes of the half time shows, and what symbolism and narratives are being pushed, rather than the actual music.

DallasInDC

Reaction score

Actually it does make sense to zero in on the smaller percentage...the dedicated fan is not going to tune out because of a halftime show... they are hooked. You try to draw interest in the part time fans through other areas of entrainment.

As for your age remarks, rap was the one of the most popular genre in the 90s and early 2000. You will have a lot of middle age fans who listened to these rappers in their teens to early 20s.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I've only enjoyed like 1.5 SB halftime shows in my lifetime. I don't know why they continue to do them. Think they could find better ways to fill the time.
I am also not a rap fan (some exceptions) so I will definitely be focused elsewhere during the halftime show.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
That's right most 47 year olds have moved past hip hop simply because it doesn't fit where they now are in life.

I think that depends on what rap you're talking about. The party themed rap that kids listen to today, I agree with.

Both Dre and Kendrick however have put out music on important topics that are relative to today's society. Dre in the 90's with stories about growing up in Compton and the difficulties he faced, and Kendrick, a Compton native as well, with modern-day stories of politics, discrimination and culture. Kendrick even won a Pulitzer prize for his last record, the first hip-hop artist to do so. David Bowie cited Kendrick Lamar as one of his biggest influences for his final album before his death, Blackstar.

Both lyricists are more articulate, personal, honest and important to American culture than the majority of rock and pop produced today. I think there may be a lot more people in their 40's and 50's who listen to these artists, especially in the LA area where they all grew up than one would think.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Will be interesting to see Kendrick Lamarr with that group. Although I guess Eminem bridges the gap in terms or era's, and Mary J Blige has been relevant for decades