Dr. Z is depressed over how good the Cowboys are

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/dr_z/09/24/week4/index.html?eref=T1

Dallas Cowboys (3-0)
So how good are they, really? They disposed of Green Bay handily. They destroyed an Eagle defense that showed what it was capable of against Pittsburgh. Or to put it another way, where are the weaknesses? Not really on defense, although Philly did inspired work against it. The QB is high level, although he might get a bit flighty at times. So what? His physical skills are impressive. Running backs? Marion Barber and Felix Jones are a very serious combo. O-line? Hudson Houck has those big mushers doing exactly what he wants. Receivers? Ah, now we're getting somewhere. T.O. can be taken out of his game, and who picks up the slack? Jason Witten, I guess. Best tight end in football. Maybe Miles Austin now, after those two long strikes against the Pack. Enough of this. I'm getting depressed.

Wow. Nothing like admitting your hatred.

He ranks Dallas No. 1, Philadelphia No. 2, the Giants No. 3 and Washington No. 10.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
Where's the Broncos love at? They are the best AFC team hands down.

jmac

Reaction score
we are so good this year it is like no one can deny it anymore, but you can tell it pains people (espn) to HAVE to have us #1 in things like their power rankings.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The media haters had better count their blessings. When the Cowboys are good, it increases ratings, webpage hits, sales, etc. Hating the Dallas Cowboys is like biting the hand that feeds them.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Thats funny.

So what is his beef? I really dont know much about where Dr.Z is from or much of his background.

Pretty odd that he would just say that. It says alot though. I still dont understand why the media hates this team so much when we have so many good likable guys. Owens and pacman are understandable, but every team has a handful of knuckleheads.

If we get a win this week I think we will be 8-0 going into NY, and I think they will be 7-0. I am preparing for the biggest media circus ever. that game is going to be nuts and the people who hate Dallas are going to be waiting with their Dallas isnt as good as ny stories if we lose....

PullMyFinger

Old Fashioned
Reaction score
187beatdown;2284512 said:
Who cares about the Donkeys? Their suspect defense wont carry them the whole season, besides a ref did give them a victory.

The Rawhide Kid

Gunslinger
Reaction score
"So why did they pull their horns in against the Cowboys? Maybe they're saving the real stuff for when they get them in Philly in December."

Dr. Z asked the question above when discussing the Eagles. I thought Vela made a good point when he said Johnson basically stopped blitzing after the 50+ throw to TO that was called back because of the holding penalty against Proctor.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
EveryoneElse;2284519 said:
Isn't Dr.Z the guy that was madly in love with Mario Edwards?

Yes, that was him. He ranked Edwards sixth in the NFL in 2002. His All-Pro team has the same problem every season — he bases it only on the games he watches and charts, which isn't many for each team. So, if he happens to catch the games when a certain player does well and misses the games when he bombs, he'll end up rating that guy too high.

Here was Dr. Z's response to ranking Edwards sixth -- "I can't help it, I go with what my two eyes tell me, what my charts show me. In the games I saw him play, he was that good, I believe. ... A long time ago I learned to go with my own instincts, after I had been burned by coaches or personnel directors who were touting some particular guy, or dinging another one, for their own reasons, which sometimes involved salary. This has produced some spectacular errors, but it's also given me some all-pro sleepers who became perennials a year or two later, i.e, Tim Krumrie, Merton Hanks, Stephenson, etc. At least I can say these choices are based on my own perceptions, rather than on a consensus of scouts or personnel guys or whatever, many of whom hadn't even gotten more than a fleeting glance or two at the people they mention."

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Uh, he's being sarcastic.
How can you read anything into a column that is mostly tongue-in-cheek? :confused:

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score

I think he answered that question: "They're giving up 28 points and 425 yards a game. They've won their last two on a referee's blunder and a missed field goal."

EveryoneElse

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2284535 said:
Yes, that was him. He ranked Edwards sixth in the NFL in 2002. His All-Pro team has the same problem every season — he bases it only on the games he watches and charts, which isn't many for each team. So, if he happens to catch the games when a certain player does well and misses the games when he bombs, he'll end up rating that guy too high.

Here was Dr. Z's response to ranking Edwards sixth -- "I can't help it, I go with what my two eyes tell me, what my charts show me. In the games I saw him play, he was that good, I believe. ... A long time ago I learned to go with my own instincts, after I had been burned by coaches or personnel directors who were touting some particular guy, or dinging another one, for their own reasons, which sometimes involved salary. This has produced some spectacular errors, but it's also given me some all-pro sleepers who became perennials a year or two later, i.e, Tim Krumrie, Merton Hanks, Stephenson, etc. At least I can say these choices are based on my own perceptions, rather than on a consensus of scouts or personnel guys or whatever, many of whom hadn't even gotten more than a fleeting glance or two at the people they mention."

Great eye for talent there, huh?

Temo

Reaction score
Dr. Z isn't rabidly anti-cowboy though. He just likes competitive football. This is the guy who quit the HoF selection commitee in protest over Bob Hayes, no?

And just for the record, I thought Mario Edwards was good too :(

landryscorner

Reaction score
wow the MEdia is so stupid and pathetic another reason why I dont watch ESPN or NFL network, especially Fox Sports.com also bunch of whining babies overthere, we will PROVE THEM WRONGGGGG!!

Temo

Reaction score
EveryoneElse;2284546 said:
Great eye for talent there, huh?

Name any talent evaluator in the NFL and I'll name at least one personnel mistake they've made.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
I have to admit, I would be depressed about us getting Felix Jones if I were in the NFC East. As if the best offense in the NFL right now needed another way to get instant offense. Players like him just ruin another teams momentum.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Temo;2284569 said:
Name any talent evaluator in the NFL and I'll name at least one personnel mistake they've made.

Keith O'Quinn.

marchetta

Reaction score

I don't know why the Broncos don't get more respect. The Broncos are the only team in the league that actually scares me.