Dr. Z is depressed over how good the Cowboys are

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
187beatdown;2284512 said:
Where's the Broncos love at? They are the best AFC team hands down.

Why? Who have they beaten, really? They should have lost to the Chargers, their other wins are against the woeful Raiders and a depleted Saints team that missed a game winning field goal. Please.

Their schedule is pretty easy too, but I'm betting you they lose some games they should win simply because their D is weak.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
Temo;2284551 said:
Dr. Z isn't rabidly anti-cowboy though. He just likes competitive football. This is the guy who quit the HoF selection commitee in protest over Bob Hayes, no?

And just for the record, I thought Mario Edwards was good too :(

I like Z I think he really tries to be even handed

PullMyFinger

Old Fashioned
Reaction score
marchetta;2284594 said:
I don't know why the Broncos don't get more respect. The Broncos are the only team in the league that actually scares me.

:lmao2: :lmao2:

We would eat up the Donkeys.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
You sorta have to know Zimmerman's personality.

He is a natural pessimist, generally negative with a splash of sarcasm.

He used to crack me up back in the 1980s when they had him on the NFL draft coverage. That's just the way he is.

I'm sure he has some issues with the Cowboys (he worked with Duane Thomas on a book that had a somewhat negative tone about the Cowboys), but he also has championed Cliff Harris' and Bob Hayes inclusion in the hall of fame. In fact, he and Harris are very good friends.

FWIW, Zimmerman wrote a couple of good football books back in the day -- The Thinking Man's Guide to Pro Football, and The New Thinking Man's Guide to Pro Football. Lots of history and good stuff.

FCBarca

Reaction score
When I first started reading SI years ago, Z's bias against Dallas was palpable...Nothing has changed

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chief;2285230 said:
You sorta have to know Zimmerman's personality.

He is a natural pessimist, generally negative with a splash of sarcasm.

He used to crack me up back in the 1980s when they had him on the NFL draft coverage. That's just the way he is.

I'm sure he has some issues with the Cowboys (he worked with Duane Thomas on a book that had a somewhat negative tone about the Cowboys), but he also has championed Cliff Harris' and Bob Hayes inclusion in the hall of fame. In fact, he and Harris are very good friends.

FWIW, Zimmerman wrote a couple of good football books back in the day -- The Thinking Man's Guide to Pro Football, and The New Thinking Man's Guide to Pro Football. Lots of history and good stuff.

You'd think a New Thinking Man would put a little more effort into Thinking about the title for his sequel.

sago1

Reaction score
Frankly I took the article to be tongue in cheek. It made for a really good laugh--if your a Cowboy fan. Not so much, if you hate the Cowboys. OTOH, gotta admit that I don't believe we've seen a total team game yet this season with a lot less penalties. If we play good on both sides of the ball, cut back on some penalties & eliminate some dumb mistakes, we are a pretty good (ha) team. Don't forget we lost around 200 offensive yards against the Eagles because of all those dumb penalties, etc.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2284535 said:
Yes, that was him. He ranked Edwards sixth in the NFL in 2002. His All-Pro team has the same problem every season — he bases it only on the games he watches and charts, which isn't many for each team. So, if he happens to catch the games when a certain player does well and misses the games when he bombs, he'll end up rating that guy too high.

Here was Dr. Z's response to ranking Edwards sixth -- "I can't help it, I go with what my two eyes tell me, what my charts show me. In the games I saw him play, he was that good, I believe. ... A long time ago I learned to go with my own instincts, after I had been burned by coaches or personnel directors who were touting some particular guy, or dinging another one, for their own reasons, which sometimes involved salary. This has produced some spectacular errors, but it's also given me some all-pro sleepers who became perennials a year or two later, i.e, Tim Krumrie, Merton Hanks, Stephenson, etc. At least I can say these choices are based on my own perceptions, rather than on a consensus of scouts or personnel guys or whatever, many of whom hadn't even gotten more than a fleeting glance or two at the people they mention."

to be fair, didn't Dr. Z put Newman on his All-Pro list a few years ago when noone else did?

or was that Dat Nguyen?

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Dr. Z is one of the few national guys whom we can definitely say is not anti-Cowboy.

Cliff Harris is the best free safety I've ever seen -- of a certain type. I class free safeties into two categories (and I've written this many times): the range type -- Willie Wood and Larry Wilson are my favorites in that style; and the killer-type, or the "obstructionist" as Al Davis likes to term it. Jack Tatum was the hardest hitter among that bunch, Harris was a guided missile who had originally come up as a cornerback and had the coverage skills and instincts Tatum lacked. Harris' all-around effectiveness, plus his feared hitting, made him the best killer-type free safety who ever lived, at least in my eyes.

I'd be very happy going with Hayes (for the HOF), or working on his behalf.

(for senior selections to the HOF) LINEBACKERS: Chris Hanburger, E.J. Holub, Chuck Howley, Lee Roy Jordan, Walt Michaels, Tommy Nobis, Les Richter, Dave Robinson.

My votes -- Jordan and Howley, great coverage and range LBs who were also terrific tacklers on those fine Cowboys Doomsday Defenses, and Robinson, one of the first of the truly great size and speed OLBs in history.

And that's just from one article!