Draft - 3-4 teams in 2006?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
HomeOfLegends said:
I'm confused....
He's talking to me, not you. Had he been talking about you or any other poster taking a dirt nap (which is death) I wouldn't have asked him if he thinks that tack is smart.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
Hostile said:
He's talking to me, not you. Had he been talking about you or any other poster taking a dirt nap (which is death) I wouldn't have asked him if he thinks that tack is smart.

oh, he wrote "Legend:" which I thought was intended to me.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Legend:

Gotta love alarm clocks.

Back to TOPIC -

With more teams going 3-4 there is going to be a crimp on the 3-4 players available that will impact how teams address draft.

Luckily Parcells/Ireland are astute to this and will juggle accordingly. We need another dirt dusting off all entails splendifferistic draft!

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
This draft is very deep at LB. I am not at all worried we won't get a good football player at 18 or lower. In fact, this draft is almost perfect for us. Deep at OT, LB, CB/FS. Our other need positions are Guard/Center and NT. Historically, quality is found at all of these positions in lower rounds. I think were going to end up with very nice quality at our need positions throughout the first day and probably into the 5th round. I'm really looking forward to this draft. I seriously hope we can work a trade down of some sort.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
This draft is very deep at LB. I am not at all worried we won't get a good football player at 18 or lower. In fact, this draft is almost perfect for us. Deep at OT, LB, CB/FS. Our other need positions are Guard/Center and NT. Historically, quality is found at all of these positions in lower rounds. I think were going to end up with very nice quality at our need positions throughout the first day and probably into the 5th round. I'm really looking forward to this draft. I seriously hope we can work a trade down of some sort.

Historically impact players are best found in Round One. We need to draft impact players just like last draft.

Depth at LB but not at DE/OLB impact types. Same with NT regarding lack of quality depth.

Week WR, CB draft. There will be decent tackles that drop but not sure we want a repeat of Rookie Tackles getting our QB killed and killing run game.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Nors said:
Historically impact players are best found in Round One. We need to draft impact players just like last draft.

Depth at LB but not at DE/OLB impact types. Same with NT regarding lack of quality depth.

Week WR, CB draft. There will be decent tackles that drop but not sure we want a repeat of Rookie Tackles getting our QB killed and killing run game.

Historically? What do you base this on and what do you qualify as impact? NTs are drafted in all rounds, not typically 1st round.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Historically? What do you base this on and what do you qualify as impact? NTs are drafted in all rounds, not typically 1st round.

We are jonesing for NT - Meant moreso impact DT

BPA at #18 is going to be real, real interesting.

Could well be RB/TE? Draft that then ABQ? Curious.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Nors said:
We are jonesing for NT - Meant moreso impact DT

BPA at #18 is going to be real, real interesting.

Could well be RB/TE? Draft that then ABQ? Curious.

I think it will be OL or LB. I doubt it will be RB. TE could be a position of value as I think there could be maybe 3 that could hold 1st round grades. I think Davis, Lewis and Pope could all grade out well. I think Davis could be a top 10 kind of prospect but the need isn't there. I think the Bears, Carolina, possibly Denver and maybe Washington could be interested in a TE. I think the Rams could use one but they have too many other needs. Any of these teams could be trade partners for us, as well, should they covet one of the TEs. Don't sleep on the Vikes. They might be interested in one and they pick just ahead of us.

Long story short, I'm in favor of trade down and drafting OL or impact LB in the first. I'd like to aquire additional picks and go heavy on OL. I really like that center out of OSU. I like a few Tackles and LBs but I think there's value in the 2nd and third there. I think there will be excellent value in the 2nd and 3rd at Guard and FS. We could go a lot of different directions here because our needs are position deep and talent rich in this draft. WR is really the only position of need that I see us having trouble filling. I think that a nice NT could be found later in the draft as well. Should Watson manage to be there in the 2nd, so much the better. If not, there are options. I just like the flexability available to us.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
I would say that this draft is deep at tweener type linebackers and not pure linebackers.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
I would say that this draft is deep at tweener type linebackers and not pure linebackers.

I don't know. I think Hawk, Greenway, Carpenter, Paraham and Schlegal can all probably play in a 34 or a 43.

I think Hodge, Jackson, Dirting, Roach, Harris, Ryans, Nicholson, Howard and Williams are pretty much 43 guys.

I think Lawson, Dumervil, Tapp and Wimbly are all 34 OLB guys.

Either way, lots of pretty good talent available for either scheme IMO.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
I don't know. I think Hawk, Greenway, Carpenter, Paraham and Schlegal can all probably play in a 34 or a 43.

I think Hodge, Jackson, Dirting, Roach, Harris, Ryans, Nicholson, Howard and Williams are pretty much 43 guys.

Hawk,Greenway, and Carpenter will all go in the 1st round, so after that, you will have to battle amongst tons of teams to get one. So if you're going to get Carpenter, then get him 1st.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
Hawk,Greenway, and Carpenter will all go in the 1st round, so after that, you will have to battle amongst tons of teams to get one. So if you're going to get Carpenter, then get him 1st.

I don't know about that. Hawk and Greenway I would agree with but Carpenter, I'm not so sure of. I mean, we need an OLB and an ILB so I'm really not as concerned about which way we go but in this draft, you got a total of probably 9 or 10 guys that can work in a 34 and that's just guys you hear of. There are also a couple of smaller school players out there. I just don't see that many LBs going in the first couple of rounds. And if they do, that means that there will be some very nice players pushed down to us so to me, there really is no downside.

Cowboys&Caps

Reaction score
Nors said:
NO - Reread - said there were 4-5 teams moving to permanent or PT 3-4

"The shift of several coaches and coordinators throughout the league is also expected to help shift the draft attention of 4-5 more teams to select players that might fit full-time or at least part-time into 3-4 defensive scheme... NEW ORLEANS, ST. LOUIS, NY JETS could be just three teams that look to draft or sign a nose tackle, more versatile OLB’s and find a bigger, tougher ILB to solidify the middle of their new schemes…"

Giants and Dolphins played some 3-4 looks last year and both coaches have 3-4 backgrounds. Back to topic - 3-4 players are going to be tougher to get to in draft as 3-4 clearly is expanding in NFL in 2006.

ok grumpy, this means that the demand for such players will be higher, and if there is someone we really really want such as a manny lawson or carpenter we will make a move up in draft order and get the player we feel is worth trading up for.

VACowboy

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:

Why do you say Roach is a 4-3 LB? Speed?

I'd classify Greenway and Ryans as weak-side 4-3 guys.

Jay9508

Reaction score
junk said:
NO said they were staying 4-3.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Houston revert back to 4-3 as well.

Doubt the Giants go 3-4. Miami will be "3-4 ish", but not really a true 3-4 yet.....if at all. Saban didn't really run a true 3-4 at LSU.
houston's defense wasnt really built for the 3-4 scheme

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Jay9508 said:
houston's defense wasnt really built for the 3-4 scheme

You have to wonder about their drafting and free agency decisions.

Travis Johnson and Robaire Smith as 3-4 ends?

I've heard comments from several of their players expressing a desire to go back to a 4-3.

dwmyers

Reaction score
Nors said:
3-4 DEFENSE COMES OF AGE ... Miami, ranked among the top 10 defenses for the past seven seasons with a 4-3, will use the 3-4 for 15 to 20 percent of its snaps under first-year coach Nick Saban.

So for proof that teams are converting to the 3-4 this year, you haul out a year old article? first year coach Nick Saban?

dwmyers

Reaction score
Nors said:
Historically impact players are best found in Round One.

Strange though, the best 3-4 team this year, the Pittsburgh Steelers, seldom draft any linebackers in the first round. Other positions? yes. But they have had most of their success at linebacker in the second round of the draft.