Draft Class Analysis

Cowboyny

Reaction score
1-Tyler Smith

First off he wasn't a reach by any means, I know that the Titans wanted to trade up for him and the Bucs moved out of the 1st rd due to the Cowboys taking him. Yes, he is raw, needs a lot of work from a technical standpoint, but he isn't a prospect that needs to add weight or strength. He is a true mauler that is excellent in the run game, needs to get better against the pass. The added bonus, he has legitimate Tackle upside. We must be patient, but he has pro bowl upside.

2-Sam Williams

Really was disappointed that the team decided to pass on Travis Jones at this spot, but I do like Williams as a player. He is another upside, potential player. Reportedly, Dan Quinn absolutely loved this player. This will be Quinn's pet project to develop him, has all the athletic traits to become a high level, edge player. His off the field concerns are worrisome, but the talent is there.

3-Jalen Tolbert

His game really reminds me of Michael Gallup, whom also was a former 3rd rd selection. An older prospect, who has the ability to play all the receiver positions. Once again, the Cowboys followed their prototype of a big, long receiver. He should make an instant impact yr 1.

4-Jake Ferguson

He was probably the last balanced TE remaining. His game is similar to Dalton Shultz, but a better inline blocker at this stage. He won't threaten teams up the field, he is more of a chain mover in the passing game, but will be an asset in those 2 TE sets. Solid player.

5a-Matt Waletzko-his athletic profile is amazing, testing very well and has tremendous length. What I heard is that he needs some development on and off the field as he needs to get stronger. Heard the team will start him on the left side either at Guard or Tackle. His comparison is Josh Ball who needed to get bigger last yr. With the loss of Collins, the team had to start restocking the Tackle position.

5b-Daron Bland

A 30 visitor who fits the profile that Dan Quinn covets. Big, long and fast. Probably more of a special teamer to start as they will start his development as a corner.

5c-Damone Clark

If not for an injury, he probably would of came off the board within the top 50. If everything checks out and he is able to return to full health, this could be the team's best value pick, just like last yr with Jabril Cox. Better player moving forward, but has 3 down abilities. He would be an ideal replacement for Lve in 2023.

5d-John Ridgeway

A true, 2 down run NT that offers little to nothing as a pass rusher. Early in the process many media scouts, said they would rather have Ridgeway in the 3rd then Davis in the first. He will battle Bohanna for the roster spot.

6-Devin Harper

More depth at the linebacker position. Was a 30 visit prospect who will be more of a special teams standout.

I would give this draft an initial grade of a solid B with the potential to be higher in 3 seasons as they drafted several upside players, who need some development. I really liked the attention to the trenches, outside of the corner/receiver the whole class emphasis was in that area. I also think they have changed their culture somewhat with physical players who want to dominate.

DanA

Reaction score
“A” for me. We hit all our needs and I don’t think I have done the work to comment on whether we reached or not.

We grabbed a lot of prototypical guys in positions of need. Time will tell how good they are.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I agree Travis Jones should have been pick in round 2. How would the Ravens have the best draft again this year if players like this didn't fall into their laps year in and year out though?
The Ravens have had the best draft the last 5 years and they have been just as good as us the last 5 years. The Ravens are the classic draft media darlings just like the Eagles. In the end they have little to show for. Let’s see what happens in the games. The Ravens have no receivers or pass rushers and the Eagles don’t have a quarterback or a secondary but both are supposed to win their divisions off of this draft. We will see.

bleachedwheat

Reaction score
The Ravens have had the best draft the last 5 years and they have been just as good as us the last 5 years. The Ravens are the classic draft media darlings just like the Eagles. In the end they have little to show for. Let’s see what happens in the games. The Ravens have no receivers or pass rushers and the Eagles don’t have a quarterback or a secondary but both are supposed to win their divisions off of this draft. We will see.
Ravens problem last year was injuries, I have never seen a team decimated like they were last year they had their 5th string running back starting before week 4 this season

bleachedwheat

Reaction score
I wonder if the Cowboys would have taken Woolen over Bland if the Hawks didn't snap him up two picks before. I would have liked that pick a lot more if it fell that way

Malhavoc

Reaction score
Jones IMO started to become an overrated prospect. Has the traits but didn’t come close to looking like a dominant player. Pedestrian production. The 1st 2 picks are the polarizing picks. I think Smith is going to flourish in his move to LG. Williams is a guy they wanted. Of all the picks I knew at some point he was going to be the guy. There’s a lot of talent there and he could be one of the better pass rushers on the class.

bleachedwheat

Reaction score
Jones IMO started to become an overrated prospect. Has the traits but didn’t come close to looking like a dominant player. Pedestrian production. The 1st 2 picks are the polarizing picks. I think Smith is going to flourish in his move to LG. Williams is a guy they wanted. Of all the picks I knew at some point he was going to be the guy. There’s a lot of talent there and he could be one of the better pass rushers on the class.
Jones has been a pet cat of mine for 2 seasons now. I like his short area burst for as big as he is. I was hoping he would stay like a 4th rounder in the medias eyes but he definitely blew up the combine and ruined any shot of that happening. I knew the Cowboys would never draft a 1 tech that high but I foolishly held out hope anyway. I like ridgeway and am glad they got him at least. I really hope your right about Smith and Williams. I liked them both just think a round too early on each of them.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
1-Tyler Smith

First off he wasn't a reach by any means, I know that the Titans wanted to trade up for him and the Bucs moved out of the 1st rd due to the Cowboys taking him. Yes, he is raw, needs a lot of work from a technical standpoint, but he isn't a prospect that needs to add weight or strength. He is a true mauler that is excellent in the run game, needs to get better against the pass. The added bonus, he has legitimate Tackle upside. We must be patient, but he has pro bowl upside.

2-Sam Williams

Really was disappointed that the team decided to pass on Travis Jones at this spot, but I do like Williams as a player. He is another upside, potential player. Reportedly, Dan Quinn absolutely loved this player. This will be Quinn's pet project to develop him, has all the athletic traits to become a high level, edge player. His off the field concerns are worrisome, but the talent is there.

3-Jalen Tolbert

His game really reminds me of Michael Gallup, whom also was a former 3rd rd selection. An older prospect, who has the ability to play all the receiver positions. Once again, the Cowboys followed their prototype of a big, long receiver. He should make an instant impact yr 1.

4-Jake Ferguson

He was probably the last balanced TE remaining. His game is similar to Dalton Shultz, but a better inline blocker at this stage. He won't threaten teams up the field, he is more of a chain mover in the passing game, but will be an asset in those 2 TE sets. Solid player.

5a-Matt Waletzko-his athletic profile is amazing, testing very well and has tremendous length. What I heard is that he needs some development on and off the field as he needs to get stronger. Heard the team will start him on the left side either at Guard or Tackle. His comparison is Josh Ball who needed to get bigger last yr. With the loss of Collins, the team had to start restocking the Tackle position.

5b-Daron Bland

A 30 visitor who fits the profile that Dan Quinn covets. Big, long and fast. Probably more of a special teamer to start as they will start his development as a corner.

5c-Damone Clark

If not for an injury, he probably would of came off the board within the top 50. If everything checks out and he is able to return to full health, this could be the team's best value pick, just like last yr with Jabril Cox. Better player moving forward, but has 3 down abilities. He would be an ideal replacement for Lve in 2023.

5d-John Ridgeway

A true, 2 down run NT that offers little to nothing as a pass rusher. Early in the process many media scouts, said they would rather have Ridgeway in the 3rd then Davis in the first. He will battle Bohanna for the roster spot.

6-Devin Harper

More depth at the linebacker position. Was a 30 visit prospect who will be more of a special teams standout.

I would give this draft an initial grade of a solid B with the potential to be higher in 3 seasons as they drafted several upside players, who need some development. I really liked the attention to the trenches, outside of the corner/receiver the whole class emphasis was in that area. I also think they have changed their culture somewhat with physical players who want to dominate.

yep solid B form me with an A- if LSU linebacker can be a 2nd round steal going into next season.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Rounds 3-7 were really good. Rounds 1 and 2 were high-risk reaches.

If I was the Cowboys, my draft class would have been

-Jermaine Johnson
-Travis Jones
-Dylan Parham
-Khalil Shakir
-Damone Clark
Love your version

visionary

Reaction score
Ravens problem last year was injuries, I have never seen a team decimated like they were last year they had their 5th string running back starting before week 4 this season

We are not just talking about last year, the ravens have had the best drafts for years with little to show for it in recent years. Their problem (like ours) is a QB who is limited. Injuries were the excuse last year and it will be another one this year