Draft Class Analysis

Landryhat73

Reaction score
This would have been a good alternate draft too but not better than Cowboys actual draft.

1. Jermaine Johnson is plug & play - but he doesn't have same athletic profile, past production, position flex or upside as Sam Williams. Without SW off field issues, he goes in 1st way before JJ.

2. Jermaine Johnson is not an automatic starter like Tyler Smith.

3. Dylan Parham at 311 would be steamrolled vs Eagles mammoth DTs (Fletcher Cox, Jordan Davis).

4. Got nothing on Travis Jones, wanted to draft him too.

5. Loved Shakir too but Tolbert can play every WR position, Shakir is strictly a slot.
Agree - My worry is if Smith isn't drafted there was a severe drop off. Left guard was the biggest need and Parham might way over 300 now but he never weighed that much when he played, Memphis had him listed at 284.

Reactions: BAT

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
1-Tyler Smith

First off he wasn't a reach by any means, I know that the Titans wanted to trade up for him and the Bucs moved out of the 1st rd due to the Cowboys taking him. Yes, he is raw, needs a lot of work from a technical standpoint, but he isn't a prospect that needs to add weight or strength. He is a true mauler that is excellent in the run game, needs to get better against the pass. The added bonus, he has legitimate Tackle upside. We must be patient, but he has pro bowl upside.

2-Sam Williams

Really was disappointed that the team decided to pass on Travis Jones at this spot, but I do like Williams as a player. He is another upside, potential player. Reportedly, Dan Quinn absolutely loved this player. This will be Quinn's pet project to develop him, has all the athletic traits to become a high level, edge player. His off the field concerns are worrisome, but the talent is there.

3-Jalen Tolbert

His game really reminds me of Michael Gallup, whom also was a former 3rd rd selection. An older prospect, who has the ability to play all the receiver positions. Once again, the Cowboys followed their prototype of a big, long receiver. He should make an instant impact yr 1.

4-Jake Ferguson

He was probably the last balanced TE remaining. His game is similar to Dalton Shultz, but a better inline blocker at this stage. He won't threaten teams up the field, he is more of a chain mover in the passing game, but will be an asset in those 2 TE sets. Solid player.

5a-Matt Waletzko-his athletic profile is amazing, testing very well and has tremendous length. What I heard is that he needs some development on and off the field as he needs to get stronger. Heard the team will start him on the left side either at Guard or Tackle. His comparison is Josh Ball who needed to get bigger last yr. With the loss of Collins, the team had to start restocking the Tackle position.

5b-Daron Bland

A 30 visitor who fits the profile that Dan Quinn covets. Big, long and fast. Probably more of a special teamer to start as they will start his development as a corner.

5c-Damone Clark

If not for an injury, he probably would of came off the board within the top 50. If everything checks out and he is able to return to full health, this could be the team's best value pick, just like last yr with Jabril Cox. Better player moving forward, but has 3 down abilities. He would be an ideal replacement for Lve in 2023.

5d-John Ridgeway

A true, 2 down run NT that offers little to nothing as a pass rusher. Early in the process many media scouts, said they would rather have Ridgeway in the 3rd then Davis in the first. He will battle Bohanna for the roster spot.

6-Devin Harper

More depth at the linebacker position. Was a 30 visit prospect who will be more of a special teams standout.

I would give this draft an initial grade of a solid B with the potential to be higher in 3 seasons as they drafted several upside players, who need some development. I really liked the attention to the trenches, outside of the corner/receiver the whole class emphasis was in that area. I also think they have changed their culture somewhat with physical players who want to dominate.
Nice write up my good man!
You have some writing ability!

Malhavoc

Reaction score
Smith is going to be put in a position to succeed. I think he’ll got all the reps he can handle at LG. Keep it as simple as possible for the kid.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
The Ravens have had the best draft the last 5 years and they have been just as good as us the last 5 years. The Ravens are the classic draft media darlings just like the Eagles. In the end they have little to show for. Let’s see what happens in the games. The Ravens have no receivers or pass rushers and the Eagles don’t have a quarterback or a secondary but both are supposed to win their divisions off of this draft. We will see.

Eagles have a quarterback, if he can stay healthy: Carson Strong.

Mr_437

Reaction score
I give the Cowboys draft a B.

1st round - Cowboys had to get a plug n play LG or LT. Smith has the attitude and mentality the offense needs. B+ grade

2nd round - Edge rusher was a major need and I'm glad they didn't wait another round and selected the DC's guy. I love the speed, strength, moves and upside learning from DQ. A grade

3rd round - They couldn't pass up the value of Tolbert, plus the Cowboys had to draft a WR who could possibly start Day 1. I like Tolbert, but I want to see how much better he is playing with QB like Dak. C+ grade

4th round - The run on TEs cleared the board, and Dallas got the last complete one. C grade

5th round - LT, LB, CB and NT...these picks were much needed depth players. Clark and Ridgeway together have the potential to be strong run stoppers in the middle for years. B grade

6th round - Cowboys finished with a traits picks. Speed, speed, speed..a LB with 4.4 speed to pair with Micah Parsons or at least zoom down the field on coverage units. Harper is an excellent blitzer, I would label him a QB hunter because of how good he is at getting sacks. A grade

kskboys

Reaction score
I give the Cowboys draft a B.

1st round - Cowboys had to get a plug n play LG or LT. Smith has the attitude and mentality the offense needs. B+ grade

2nd round - Edge rusher was a major need and I'm glad they didn't wait another round and selected the DC's guy. I love the speed, strength, moves and upside learning from DQ. A grade

3rd round - They couldn't pass up the value of Tolbert, plus the Cowboys had to draft a WR who could possibly start Day 1. I like Tolbert, but I want to see how much better he is playing with QB like Dak. C+ grade

4th round - The run on TEs cleared the board, and Dallas got the last complete one. C grade

5th round - LT, LB, CB and NT...these picks were much needed depth players. Clark and Ridgeway together have the potential to be strong run stoppers in the middle for years. B grade

6th round - Cowboys finished with a traits picks. Speed, speed, speed..a LB with 4.4 speed to pair with Micah Parsons or at least zoom down the field on coverage units. Harper is an excellent blitzer, I would label him a QB hunter because of how good he is at getting sacks. A grade
4th: One of the very few complete TE's. This draft was loaded w/ guys who either couldn't get open or couldn't block. Fergie could easily turn out to be the best of the bunch.

Good stuff!!!

ColeBeasley11

BruceCarter54
Reaction score
Rounds 3-7 were really good. Rounds 1 and 2 were high-risk reaches.

If I was the Cowboys, my draft class would have been

-Jermaine Johnson
-Travis Jones
-Dylan Parham
-Khalil Shakir
-Damone Clark

You must have missed the niners game lol. We needed OL desperately. I think we will be better at Dend and DT then we think now. OSA should be stronger and Gallimore looked solid when healthy.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
You must have missed the niners game lol. We needed OL desperately. I think we will be better at Dend and DT then we think now. OSA should be stronger and Gallimore looked solid when healthy.

The DL got big-boyed in the playoffs, they need help too. And I think Jermaine Johnson is a far, far better prospect than Tyler Smith.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I give an Incomplete Grade. Its way 2 early to hand out grades. I say give it at least 1 year THEN we can talk grades. We will have a decent idea as the season goes.