Draft Class Analysis

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Jones IMO started to become an overrated prospect. Has the traits but didn’t come close to looking like a dominant player. Pedestrian production. The 1st 2 picks are the polarizing picks. I think Smith is going to flourish in his move to LG. Williams is a guy they wanted. Of all the picks I knew at some point he was going to be the guy. There’s a lot of talent there and he could be one of the better pass rushers on the class.
I would have taken Colorado TE over wr in the third round.

cowboyec

Reaction score
arkansas dt john ridgeway was a state champ in wrestling.
osa odighizuwa also had a extensive background in wrestling.
this looks to be a trend w/dan quinn when it comes to def tackles in the draft.
makes sense.
anyway...thought it interesting.
dan quinn loves arm length...we know that.
and dt's with a wrestling background.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Ravens problem last year was injuries, I have never seen a team decimated like they were last year they had their 5th string running back starting before week 4 this season
Both starting corners were out too.
But I agree with @baltcowboy. The Ravens don't have a great set of receivers or don't use them effectively. It's the reason Hollywood Brown wanted out. But I loved their draft.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Rounds 3-7 were really good. Rounds 1 and 2 were high-risk reaches.

If I was the Cowboys, my draft class would have been

-Jermaine Johnson
-Travis Jones
-Dylan Parham
-Khalil Shakir
-Damone Clark

This would have been a good alternate draft too but not better than Cowboys actual draft.

1. Jermaine Johnson is plug & play - but he doesn't have same athletic profile, past production, position flex or upside as Sam Williams. Without SW off field issues, he goes in 1st way before JJ.

2. Jermaine Johnson is not an automatic starter like Tyler Smith.

3. Dylan Parham at 311 would be steamrolled vs Eagles mammoth DTs (Fletcher Cox, Jordan Davis).

4. Got nothing on Travis Jones, wanted to draft him too.

5. Loved Shakir too but Tolbert can play every WR position, Shakir is strictly a slot.

bleachedwheat

Reaction score
This would have been a good alternate draft too but not better than Cowboys actual draft.

1. Jermaine Johnson is plug & play - but he doesn't have same athletic profile, past production, position flex or upside as Sam Williams. Without SW off field issues, he goes in 1st way before JJ.

2. Jermaine Johnson is not an automatic starter like Tyler Smith.

3. Dylan Parham at 311 would be steamrolled vs Eagles mammoth DTs (Fletcher Cox, Jordan Davis).

4. Got nothing on Travis Jones, wanted to draft him too.

5. Loved Shakir too but Tolbert can play every WR position, Shakir is strictly a slot.
don't know about Shakir being strictly a slot, he had a lot of reps outside at Boise and made a tone of contested fade catches up the sidelines. He also played halfback snaps and punt returned a few. He is just an all around swiss army knife and if they chose him over Tolbert I would have loved that pick too. I am probably a little biased though since I went to Boise.

Reactions: BAT

youngjerryjones

Reaction score
we had a boring draft, which imo is amazing... addressed our trench needs and to hear MM was banging on the table for what happened in the playoffs is music to my ears

bleachedwheat

Reaction score
But I agree with @baltcowboy. The Ravens don't have a great set of receivers or don't use them effectively. It's the reason Hollywood Brown wanted out. But I loved their draft.
They don't need a set of good receivers, they are a 12 personnel team. They have drafted 2 TE's in a draft 3 different times now in the past 10 years no other team is close to doing that. Bateman can catch but he is huge as a blocker and Proche, Duvernay and Wallace are all great run after catch quick pass wideouts. I would have kept Hollywood just for some semblance of a deep threat. I kind of dig the old school approach the 49ers and Ravens have, at least it changes how teams have to approach them, especially since most teams have to gear around spread offences in today's NFL. It gives them an edge in almost every matchup each week. I get the philosophy and I kind of like it.

bleachedwheat

Reaction score
we had a boring draft, which imo is amazing... addressed our trench needs and to hear MM was banging on the table for what happened in the playoffs is music to my ears
Yes, that was the most encouraging thing I gathered from the day 3 press conference. MM actually voicing his opinion and wanting to beef up the one tech position in particular was music to my ears. Now all they have to do is address the Safety position in the draft some time before round 4 and I think we'll have something here.
Jerry saying that all their 5th round picks were actually 4th rounders is kind of a laugh; bland definitely wasn't. I will give DQ his guy though he deserves it after last years def. improvement.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
They don't need a set of good receivers, they are a 12 personnel team. They have drafted 2 TE's in a draft 3 different times now in the past 10 years no other team is close to doing that. Bateman can catch but he is huge as a blocker and Proche, Duvernay and Wallace are all great run after catch quick pass wideouts. I would have kept Hollywood just for some semblance of a deep threat. I kind of dig the old school approach the 49ers and Ravens have, at least it changes how teams have to approach them, especially since most teams have to gear around spread offences in today's NFL. It gives them an edge in almost every matchup each week. I get the philosophy and I kind of like it.
And yet this year, the teams with dynamic receiving corps made the Super Bowl.
Ground and pound, grind and shine is okay, if not methodical. But the Ravens' weakness is that when they get behind, teams focus on keeping Jackson in the pocket and making him beat them with his arm. And he's still not consistent throwing the ball. That's why Hollywood Brown wanted to leave. Either Jackson is experiencing a Dak moment or the offense just isn't suited for a shoot-out.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Its because their Qb in recent times was not good , Lamar has revolutionized the league but he is not a typical QB who passes from pocket to hit receivers to score points. But his different perspective is some times feast or famine kind, AFC playoff teams are good and thats why Baltimore doesnt have much to show , but they are contenders most years.

bleachedwheat

Reaction score
And yet this year, the teams with dynamic receiving corps made the Super Bowl.
Ground and pound, grind and shine is okay, if not methodical. But the Ravens' weakness is that when they get behind, teams focus on keeping Jackson in the pocket and making him beat them with his arm. And he's still not consistent throwing the ball. That's why Hollywood Brown wanted to leave. Either Jackson is experiencing a Dak moment or the offense just isn't suited for a shoot-out.
Baltimore will make a run this year if healthy even if they don't make it far in the playoffs it will still be a close game because they can dictate how the game is played with their philosophy; that I like.

bleachedwheat

Reaction score
Its because their Qb in recent times was not good , Lamar has revolutionized the league but he is not a typical QB who passes from pocket to hit receivers to score points. But his different perspective is some times feast or famine kind, AFC playoff teams are good and thats why Baltimore doesnt have much to show , but they are contenders most years.
AFC is gonna be rough this year glad the Boys don't have to run that gauntlet, at least.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
NE really I though they would have been towards the bottom after drafting a 3rd round Center project in the First round... shows what I know

Cole Strange was my #1 rated center in this draft. I hoped (so did Rams) that he would fall to the 3rd.

Pat's just cut out the mock draft rankings crap and took the player they valued the most with 1st pick.

bleachedwheat

Reaction score
Cole Strange was my #1 rated center in this draft. I hoped (so did Rams) that he would fall to the 3rd.

Pat's just cut out the mock draft rankings crap and took the player they valued the most with 1st pick.
The HOodie has earned the right to say screw the rankings and do what he wants, I respect that but the rankings listed in the above tweet are laughable.

well Chiefs are probably up their and Eagles and Chargers should definitely be top 5

Reactions: BAT

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Rounds 3-7 were really good. Rounds 1 and 2 were high-risk reaches.

If I was the Cowboys, my draft class would have been

-Jermaine Johnson
-Travis Jones
-Dylan Parham
-Khalil Shakir
-Damone Clark
Good thing you’re not the Cowboys.

bleachedwheat

Reaction score
Good thing you’re not the Cowboys.
I like his draft better, that is me though not you. I like his better because this team is in a weak conference with one of the best Qb's; like it or not, in this conference and a team that has enough talent to make the super bowl with little resistance from the East. Basically, without rambling to much he has a more win this year while the window is open draft compared to the future draft they just served us.