Draft class scattershot

Rayman70

Reaction score
Chris Jones isn't a 1T anyway. He's a bigger version of Osa at the 3T. Broaddus claimed that if David Irving loved football he could have been a Chris Jones type of player. We saw some dominance in that one season.
I don't believe in labels. Jones is just a really good player that can line up at 1 tech or 3. It really is meaningless when you're as good as him. Rogers is a pure 1 tech and the issue will be Mazi not being available, I think.

NotForLong

Reaction score
My biggest observation in terms of overall roster is that other than Lamb I'm not sure which skill position player on our offense will make DCs worry.

RB
Zeke ?
Dowdle ?
Vaughn ?
Davis ?

WR
Cooks ?
Tolbert ?
Brooks ?

This isn't a redraft because I thought they did pretty well especially the three offensive lineman and the cornerback but here are some skill position players that were available at our given picks. I'll be watching them to see how they do this season just because that's what fans do.

R2P56 Marshawn Kneeland
Malachi Corley WR
R3P73 Cooper Beebe (my favorite pick)
Roman Wilson WR
R3P87 Marist Liufau
Troy Franklin WR
Javon Baker WR
Jaylen Wright RB
Will Shipley RB
Ray Davis RB
Isaac Guerendo RB
Anthony Gould WR
Tyrone Tracy RB

R5P174 Caelen Carson (good value pick)
Malik Washington WR
It usually requires a WR to play 3 years to develop by then The Players selected should also be coming into their own

Any regrets may come from the RBs but that is only if they become the featured back. There appears to be a ton of undue pressure on Liufau based upon how the Jones handles that position this offseason. It is a shame because RB usually produce immediate results

I like Liufau's traits and I like that old school Zimmerman likes him. Only red flag I see is His style of tackling but I expect Zimmerman sees it as a non issue. He is very active and it will be a welcome addition to team with Micah. The combination will cause head aches for O Lineman who are figuring out their assignments pre snap

NotForLong

Reaction score
I've been trying to dig into that pick because they seemed to really want him. His coverage and blitzing skills could be a good fit for Zimmer's Double A-Gap blitzes.

I am excited. Hopefully Zimmer is retained

exciter

Reaction score
- Tyler Smith is a good hedge against Guyton busting. We have two players that have Pro Bowl upside at LT. Not saying either would hit that, but its good peice of mind. Being such a late first, it wouldn't end up a bad investment if Guyton eventually kicked out to RT. 29 isn't too high for a RT

- I wonder Zimmer squinted and saw Danielle Hunter in Kneeland. I wouldn't get my hopes, Danielle Hunters aren't very common for Day 2 DE's. I wouldn't be shocked to see Kneeland get a good amount of snaps on the right side on run downs.

- An interesting now on Cooper Beebe. He has 30% body fat. He will trim that down and should be much more athletic.

- As a chase and tackle LB, Liufau seems more like a hitter than anything else. 3.8 tackles per game the last two years is not good

- The Carson pick is the one that makes you really get excited about a draft class. I feel confident about him getting some snaps as a #4 CB this year. Dont feel like he would be burnt toast

- Flournoy being 25 means 2024 might be his one chance to show them something. However I think he is much more talented than Fehoko was when we took him. I think Brooks is a better prospect though

- Thomas was a great dart late. There is potential for him to develop into a starting caliber player. Even hitting halfway to that that, with Bass and Richards last year, they may end up with very good depth on the interior while they are on rookie deals

- I dont expect Rodgers to make the final roster. Short armed NT's dont usually amount to much
Hunter was a finesse player who had minimal college production in part because he had issues maintaining his weight above 240 while he was here at LSU. Kneeland is more of a straight strong side DE with power and development rush potential of Zadarius Smith!

Beaker42

Reaction score
Nice write up. A few comments:

• I’m not as enamored with Beebe as others are. I think he’s a bit of a plodder and has less than ideal lateral agility/quickness. Maybe losing 10-15 lbs would help that. I would have taken Christian Haynes in front of Beebe.
Haynes holds on almost every highlight I watched - hell he grabbed a guy in a bear hug and threw him down on the first play I watched in one vid. Beebe was the right pick.