Draft Day 3 thread

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Randy White;4538205 said:
03/12/2012 - There were nearly two dozen NFL teams represented at the University of Montana's pro day on Friday, and any number of them would like to have Caleb McSurdy suiting up and making big hits next fall. Some of them, though, think it might happen on offense.

McSurdy was one of 22 players who went through several drills in front of NFL scouts at UM, including speed drills on the SprinTurf of Washington-Grizzly Stadium. He'd been through all of them before at the NFL scouting combine on Feb. 27, but that was at linebacker. Some of these guys want McSurdy to play fullback. "It's awesome," said the 242-pounder, who was the Big Sky Conference's defensiveplayer of the year. "There's a few teams that just let me know that's what they saw me at. They tell you, " Hey, we want to work you out as a fullback at your pro day,' and you just do it."

McSurdy earned all-conference honors at tight end as a senior at Borah High in Boise, Idaho, and also played some running back. It seems safe to assume he excelled. "No, not really," he said. "I was kind of a bruiser. And not to throw anybody under the bus, but my O-line wasn't terrific. So there were a lot of 2-yard runs that took a lot of effort." Five years later he was back on that side of the ball, if only for an afternoon. "Obviously they want to see you catch the ball and run some routes," he said. "I went out and did that and felt pretty decent." McSurdy also re-tested in the 40-yard dash, and lowered his time from 4.97 at the combine to 4.68 and 4.70. "Coach (Aric) Williams had me at 4.66," McSurdy added. "I think he might've given me the home-town discount. But, good day." - Fritz Neighbor, The Missoulian

Interesting. I wouldn't think Dallas would draft him as a fullback. And it's nice to see that he lowered his 40 time, even if he got a "home-town discount."

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
Bluestang;4538253 said:
NFL Network gave us a draft grade A, everyone else was B or B- in the division.
I just saw that. And a lot of people here evaluated the Eagles draft better and they were the lowest grade in the division.

tupperware

A Plastic Container
Reaction score
Oh_Canada;4538159 said:
It's possible the Cowboys are more optimistic about their young lineman than this board is.
That may be, but they were optimistic as ever last year too. I don't necessarily have a problem with the current picks other than I thought we'd take at least one C or G.

DFWJC

Reaction score
FWIW

the NFLNW just gave NFC East grades

Dallas__A
NYG__B
Philly__B
Wash__B-

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LeonDixson;4538270 said:
I just saw that. And a lot of people here evaluated the Eagles draft better and they were the lowest grade in the division.

The Eagles took Hos' pet QB way too early.

Massive reach.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
DFWJC;4538278 said:
FWIW

Dallas__A
NYG__B
Philly__B
Wash__B-
I think you have Philly and Wash reversed, but I wouldn't swear to it.

gimmesix

Reaction score
So we got:

1) A starting CB

2) A pass-rushing DE

3) A strongside OLB

4) A backup S

5) A slot WR

6) A third/second TE

7) A backup ILB

The only glaring omission from the shopping list was OL, so we'll have to see how that goes ... and if Dallas' evaluation of these prospects is better than ESPN or all-knowing fans. (I suspect it is since several higher-projected players are going to be available as UDFAs, as they are every year.)

gimmesix

Reaction score
DFWJC;4538278 said:
FWIW

Dallas__A
NYG__B
Philly__B
Wash__B-

I think an A is high for Dallas because we didn't have the second-rounder to bolster the class.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
gimmesix;4538317 said:
I think an A is high for Dallas because we didn't have the second-rounder to bolster the class.

That argument has some merit...

But so does getting the top defensive player of the draft.

There was some reach on Johnson, but the other picks seemed to represent decent value.

Reaction score
I think it will go like this.

Claiborne: Starter
Crawford: Starter
Wilber: Solid depth
Johnson: ~flush~
Coale: Solid WR depth/3rd WR
Hanna: Project that will wash out
McSurdy: ~flush~

burmafrd

Reaction score
ManicDepressiveMan;4538408 said:
I think it will go like this.

Crawford: Starter
Wilber: Solid depth
Johnson: ~flush~
Coale: Solid WR depth/3rd WR
Hanna: Project that will wash out
McSurdy: ~flush~

Crawford: part time- ST
Wilber: Depth
Johnson: ST
Coale: 4th WR
Hanna: ST/Project
McSurdy: washout

Deep_South

Reaction score
I'm going with Coale as the 3rd WR. That said, if this turns out to be Ogletree's break out year, I will be ecstatic.