Draft day thoughts-as Bob Strum stated wise to add juice to the offense!

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Merry Christmas to all! Draft day is finally here!

When you look back at the entire offseason, the draft has to be about upgrading the offense:

-Cowboys lost to the 49ers due to their inability to run the football and lack of receiving weapons to threaten their strong defense. Outside of the 4th quarter when the Cowboy D started to ware down, they pretty much held the high powered 49er offense in check.

-Look what they did in fa: retained three key role players in Lve, Wilson and Hankins. Upgraded their biggest need position in Gilmore. Yes, they can use more help within the interior of their DL, add more depth at both LB/CB, but this unit is good enough as is, we cannot say the same about the offense.

-Offense lost 4 starters in Zeke, Shultz, McGovern, Brown. Adding Cooks was nice, but it doesn't move the needle enough. They want to be able to play complementary football; consistently be able to run the football, maintain drives, give their playmakers the best opportunities to succeed and score TD's. Run game is about their OL, adding another starting caliber back. Passing game we need at least 1 more weapon if not two.

As for tonight, I'm a big fan of both McDonald/Forbes, but I think the Cowboys would be the best served to take the best offensive player available if the value is right. Kincaid/Mayer, Flowers, Addison, Hyatt, Johnson, Gibbs, Wright, Avilia. I really don't care if it a low valued position, especially picking at 26, just find the best player who will make the biggest impact. This front office has earned my trust, especially with their 1st rd picks, as long as they stay away from poor character or reaching to fill a need that should get a good player no matter how the picks go ahead of them.

baltcowboy

Reaction score

When you look back at the entire offseason, the draft has to be about upgrading the offense:

-Cowboys lost to the 49ers due to their inability to run the football and lack of receiving weapons to threaten their strong defense. Outside of the 4th quarter when the Cowboy D started to ware down, they pretty much held the high powered 49er offense in check.

-Look what they did in fa: retained three key role players in Lve, Wilson and Hankins. Upgraded their biggest need position in Gilmore. Yes, they can use more help within the interior of their DL, add more depth at both LB/CB, but this unit is good enough as is, we cannot say the same about the offense.

-Offense lost 4 starters in Zeke, Shultz, McGovern, Brown. Adding Cooks was nice, but it doesn't move the needle enough. They want to be able to play complementary football; consistently be able to run the football, maintain drives, give their playmakers the best opportunities to succeed and score TD's. Run game is about their OL, adding another starting caliber back. Passing game we need at least 1 more weapon if not two.

As for tonight, I'm a big fan of both McDonald/Forbes, but I think the Cowboys would be the best served to take the best offensive player available if the value is right. Kincaid/Mayer, Flowers, Addison, Hyatt, Johnson, Gibbs, Wright, Avilia. I really don't care if it a low valued position, especially picking at 26, just find the best player who will make the biggest impact. This front office has earned my trust, especially with their 1st rd picks, as long as they stay away from poor character or reaching to fill a need that should get a good player no matter how the picks go ahead of them.
I am with you. The reality is the defense was good enough to beat San Francisco last season on the road. The Cowboys need weapons on the offense. I believe our first three picks in some order will be tight end, wide receiver and running back. Dak needs weapons.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I agree to an extent but in no way do I think we should go into the draft thinking we have to focus on offense.

- Losing Zeke was addition by subtraction. I honestly believe this is not a hit to our offense with a mix of Davis / mid rounder.
- Cooks is a MASSIVE shot in the arm to the offense. He’s better than any WR production we’ll get from the rookie class. I want to find a replacement for MG in the draft but have to hope if he’s fully recovered he’ll at least be serviceable as WR3.
- McGovern was below average. Regardless of what you think of Chuma it’s likely a wash subbing him in or maybe we shuffle Tyron / Steele etc.
- Schultz had bulky stats but partially due to high volume. He had a negative EPA when targeted last year…negative. I’m all in on drafting a TE this year to create more competition.l but Fergy showed positive glimpses last year.

You don’t beat the 49ers counting on a bunch of rookies. You beat the 49ers bc you added Cooks / Gilly, TP is healthy, Zeke is off the field and the development of our young players.

We did such a great job in FA we’re FINALLY able to go into the draft and draft BPA. Obviously there positions that are bigger needs than other but not to the extent we have to take them early.

Mr_437

Reaction score
I think Tyler Smith ends up at LG as they attempt to start their best five, so the need for iOL is pushed back into 2nd-4th round. Leaving Playmaker at the top of the board offensively. Strum is correct adding some juice to the offense is necessary. There's a big hole at TE and RB imo, so that's where I look for impact. However, a WR who can add speed, play in the offense day 1, and return punts to kick Turpin off the roster would be a good move.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I agree it will prob lean offensive but I think the best first pick might be defensive. If you are going to get a impactful defender in the range we are drafting, you may need to get it with your first and then rely on the depth of other positions to get your RB, TE, OL later.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I agree to an extent but in no way do I think we should go into the draft thinking we have to focus on offense.

- Losing Zeke was addition by subtraction. I honestly believe this is not a hit to our offense with a mix of Davis / mid rounder.
- Cooks is a MASSIVE shot in the arm to the offense. He’s better than any WR production we’ll get from the rookie class. I want to find a replacement for MG in the draft but have to hope if he’s fully recovered he’ll at least be serviceable as WR3.
- McGovern was below average. Regardless of what you think of Chuma it’s likely a wash subbing him in or maybe we shuffle Tyron / Steele etc.
- Schultz had bulky stats but partially due to high volume. He had a negative EPA when targeted last year…negative. I’m all in on drafting a TE this year to create more competition.l but Fergy showed positive glimpses last year.

You don’t beat the 49ers counting on a bunch of rookies. You beat the 49ers bc you added Cooks / Gilly, TP is healthy, Zeke is off the field and the development of our young players.

We did such a great job in FA we’re FINALLY able to go into the draft and draft BPA. Obviously there positions that are bigger needs than other but not to the extent we have to take them early.
-I agree you don't be a good defense with a bunch of rookies, but rather a mixture of veterans with young talent and fresh legs.
-Cooks is no doubt an upgrade over an aging Hilton, but that isn't enough.
-Yes, Zeke was finished, but they need a capable running back, when Pollard went down, they stopped running the football. Don't think they trust Davis yet.
-Shultz may have gotten a ton of targets, but someone else is going to have to match his production. Relying on two average, 2nd yr players could be as bad as relying on a 3rd rd receiver to make an impact like Tolbert last yr.
-Fully understand not to reach to fill a need, but if the value is equal, I think the Cowboys will take the offensive player.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I think Tyler Smith ends up at LG as they attempt to start their best five, so the need for iOL is pushed back into 2nd-4th round. Leaving Playmaker at the top of the board offensively. Strum is correct adding some juice to the offense is necessary. There's a big hole at TE and RB imo, so that's where I look for impact. However, a WR who can add speed, play in the offense day 1, and return punts to kick Turpin off the roster would be a good move.
I agree about the best 5 starting, just need a backup plan and they may feel comfortable with their in house options filling in. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a WR, TE, RB within our top 4 picks in any order.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

I take mcdonald. the stronger the defense, the better we are. SF didn't have fire power, but they had a stronger defense.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I agree it will prob lean offensive but I think the best first pick might be defensive. If you are going to get a impactful defender in the range we are drafting, you may need to get it with your first and then rely on the depth of other positions to get your RB, TE, OL later.
-I agree you don't be a good defense with a bunch of rookies, but rather a mixture of veterans with young talent and fresh legs.
-Cooks is no doubt an upgrade over an aging Hilton, but that isn't enough.
-Yes, Zeke was finished, but they need a capable running back, when Pollard went down, they stopped running the football. Don't think they trust Davis yet.
-Shultz may have gotten a ton of targets, but someone else is going to have to match his production. Relying on two average, 2nd yr players could be as bad as relying on a 3rd rd receiver to make an impact like Tolbert last yr.
-Fully understand not to reach to fill a need, but if the value is equal, I think the Cowboys will take the offensive player.
On your last bullet point I’m completely on board as long as the position values match.

Ex - WR vs DE. If they decide to draft Flowers over McD Im good…love them both. Just can’t have tags touching on a TE vs DE and take the TE.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
On your last bullet point I’m completely on board as long as the position values match.

Ex - WR vs DE. If they decide to draft Flowers over McD Im good…love them both. Just can’t have tags touching on a TE vs DE and take the TE.
That's my point, if the tags are touching, I think they will take the offensive weapon.

chicago JK

Reaction score
He scouted 60 players and ranked them. Jason Smith Njigba is his 4th rated player. Bijan Robinson is #13. Gibbs is #27. Michael Mayer #15, Dalton Kincaid #16 and Luke Musgrave #21. Darnell Washington #31, Sam Laporta #49 & Tcker Kraft at #54.

Some interesting rankings throughout. He probably missed some guys who are going to be in the top 2 rounds as he only reviewed to certain point, but good read.

Mr_437

Reaction score
I agree about the best 5 starting, just need a backup plan and they may feel comfortable with their in house options filling in. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a WR, TE, RB within our top 4 picks in any order.
What WR would you take in the 1st round?
I like the 2nd wave of WRs: Tillman, Mingo.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Tyler Smith ends up at LG as they attempt to start their best five, so the need for iOL is pushed back into 2nd-4th round.
Is it? Is Tyron Smith the starting left tackle in this scenario? If so, how long do you expect that to last?

Leaving Playmaker at the top of the board offensively. Strum is correct adding some juice to the offense is necessary. There's a big hole at TE and RB imo, so that's where I look for impact. However, a WR who can add speed, play in the offense day 1, and return punts to kick Turpin off the roster would be a good move.
I won’t argue with any of that, but if the offensive line isn’t right, the other stuff won’t much matter either.