Draft day thoughts-as Bob Strum stated wise to add juice to the offense!

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Sturm’s analysis is always a bit wonky. I mean I see where he’s coming from, but our run defense was pretty awful last year.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Merry Christmas to all! Draft day is finally here!

When you look back at the entire offseason, the draft has to be about upgrading the offense:

-Cowboys lost to the 49ers due to their inability to run the football and lack of receiving weapons to threaten their strong defense. Outside of the 4th quarter when the Cowboy D started to ware down, they pretty much held the high powered 49er offense in check.

-Look what they did in fa: retained three key role players in Lve, Wilson and Hankins. Upgraded their biggest need position in Gilmore. Yes, they can use more help within the interior of their DL, add more depth at both LB/CB, but this unit is good enough as is, we cannot say the same about the offense.

-Offense lost 4 starters in Zeke, Shultz, McGovern, Brown. Adding Cooks was nice, but it doesn't move the needle enough. They want to be able to play complementary football; consistently be able to run the football, maintain drives, give their playmakers the best opportunities to succeed and score TD's. Run game is about their OL, adding another starting caliber back. Passing game we need at least 1 more weapon if not two.

As for tonight, I'm a big fan of both McDonald/Forbes, but I think the Cowboys would be the best served to take the best offensive player available if the value is right. Kincaid/Mayer, Flowers, Addison, Hyatt, Johnson, Gibbs, Wright, Avilia. I really don't care if it a low valued position, especially picking at 26, just find the best player who will make the biggest impact. This front office has earned my trust, especially with their 1st rd picks, as long as they stay away from poor character or reaching to fill a need that should get a good player no matter how the picks go ahead of them.
A WR that will be only in on 4 WR sets will not have the biggest impact.

RB can be had in rounds 2-4 and will have just as much of an impact as a first round back.

Stud guard or tackle would have the biggest impact in the first. A 3rd round guard would not.

And all around TE like Mayer would also have a big impact. IMHO

Cowboyny

Reaction score
A WR that will be only in on 4 WR sets will not have the biggest impact.

RB can be had in rounds 2-4 and will have just as much of an impact as a first round back.

Stud guard or tackle would have the biggest impact in the first. A 3rd round guard would not.

And all around TE like Mayer would also have a big impact. IMHO
You can find Guards deep in the draft, KC drafted one in the 6th rd two years ago and he was a plug/play impact starter. Still believe Tyler is going to start at LG. This year's class isn't too deep, where the top guys are more solid then elite. I rather take a Guard later who is NFL strength ready and develop him as a pass protector, like they did with Tyler last yr when he worked with Merriweather.

cnuball21

Reaction score
You can find Guards deep in the draft, KC drafted one in the 6th rd two years ago and he was a plug/play impact starter. Still believe Tyler is going to start at LG. This year's class isn't too deep, where the top guys are more solid then elite. I rather take a Guard later who is NFL strength ready and develop him as a pass protector, like they did with Tyler last yr when he worked with Merriweather.
Agree!

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Really like a player like Mafi to mold. He already can maul people in the run game, but he needs to learn proper technique with his footwork/hands to get better in pass protection. Might not be ready day 1, but good be ready in short order. Listened to interviews with him, he appears to be a hard worker.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Really like a player like Mafi to mold. He already can maul people in the run game, but he needs to learn proper technique with his footwork/hands to get better in pass protection. Might not be ready day 1, but good be ready in short order. Listened to interviews with him, he appears to be a hard worker.
My take is see who falls in the 2nd OR Zavala / LSU kid in 3rd OR Mafi later.

Spottswoode

Reaction score
You know you just used an example from 2 years ago to make a point that you can find plug and play guards in late rounds and then used a R1 player to show how we can develop that late round draftee.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
cowboys can’t seem to find them Later. And we don’t need a guard we need a stud guard.

cnuball21

Reaction score
cowboys can’t seem to find them Later. And we don’t need a guard we need a stud guard.
1st round doesn’t mean year 1 stud…see last years 1st round Gs that weren’t good year 1.

Take the best player.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Disagree. New scheme is important, we just need a solid starter. Kyle Kosier never was an elite starter but was very solid at the position. Think they are looking at big, power lineman that anchor well which will get a push in the run game and give Dak a clean pocket

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Disagree. New scheme is important, we just need a solid starter. Kyle Kosier never was an elite starter but was very solid at the position. Think they are looking at big, power lineman that anchor well which will get a push in the run game and give Dak a clean pocket
Nooooo. This team had a solid starter last year and it wasn’t good last year. We need an upgrade.