Draft day thoughts-as Bob Strum stated wise to add juice to the offense!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Think McGovern improved as a pass blocker, but wasn't great in the run game.
I’d agree that he “wasn’t great”, but he continued to improve and his loss is that - a loss. They currently don’t have an adequate replacement other than playing Tyler Smith there. Then you need to worry about left tackle.

Gaede

Reaction score
I agree. I would love to see us get a new WR, TE, RB to help Dak. That said, gotta take the draft as it comes, and if you can better improve the team with a defensive player, you gotta take him

Mr_437

Reaction score
Is it? Is Tyron Smith the starting left tackle in this scenario? If so, how long do you expect that to last?

I won’t argue with any of that, but if the offensive line isn’t right, the other stuff won’t much matter either.
Agree with you on all accounts. I heard their looking at that configuration for the OL, but I don't trust Tyron either. Trenches first for sure, but they may believe they're covered there more than we do.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agree with you on all accounts. I heard their looking at that configuration for the OL, but I don't trust Tyron either. Trenches first for sure, but they may believe they're covered there more than we do.
If they think Eduma is an option, we’ll have problems.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I could not disagree more strongly with this claim.
- McGovern was below average. Regardless of what you think of Chuma it’s likely a wash subbing him in or maybe we shuffle Tyron / Steele etc.
Obviously McGovern is expected to be better...
- 3 years, 23M vs 1 year, 1.2M

Having said that, I didn't think McGovern was much better (physically) than Farniok.
- In his 2 starts, Farniok's issues were more about mental mistakes than physical problems.
- He handled the Bengals big DT Josh Tupou (6-3, 340) reasonably well on most snaps.

Adding Chuma Edoga just increased the probability that either he or Farniok will be good enough at LG (if needed).
- Edoga is known as a good run blocker that had issues in pass blocking.
- Moving from OT to OG normally improves pass blocking.

cnuball21

Reaction score

Having said that, I didn't think McGovern was much better (physically) than Farniok.
- In his 2 starts, Farniok's issues were more about mental mistakes than physical problems.
- He handled the Bengals big DT Josh Tupou (6-3, 340) reasonably well on most snaps.

Adding Chuma Edoga just increased the probability that either he or Farniok will be good enough at LG (if needed).
Yea, I think some people are just overreacting at LG bc they don’t know we signed Chuma or have never seen him play.

McGoverns PFF grade was in the 50s last year. Chuma has never been below the 60s and like you said the position change should help cover up some of his defeiciencies.

Between him, the development of Farniok and the potential of Tyler kicking inside were covered enough where we don’t have to force a pick. Yes - I’d still draft a G but it doesn’t have to be at 26.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And it shows what the league thinks of the players overall. One got a nice contract while the other signed for scraps.

I’d rather give Farniok a shot over Edoga. But ideally, they’re both backups than you can improve upon. And that’s what I’d like to see them do.
Edoga also has known problems with his anchor. Problems exacerbated by a move inside.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I’d agree that he “wasn’t great”, but he continued to improve and his loss is that - a loss. They currently don’t have an adequate replacement other than playing Tyler Smith there. Then you need to worry about left tackle.
I think they are much higher on Walesko then many realize. He could become the team's swing Tackle this yr and spot start if needed. Moving Ball to Guard also gives them more options inside. He was a good run blocker that really struggled in pass protection.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yea, I think some people are just overreacting at LG bc they don’t know we signed Chuma or have never seen him play.

Or have and realized we signed a JAG
McGoverns PFF grade was in the 50s last year. Chuma has never been below the 60s and like you said the position change should help cover up some of his defeiciencies.

Or it will make his struggles to anchor even worse.
Between him, the development of Farniok and the potential of Tyler kicking inside were covered enough where we don’t have to force a pick. Yes - I’d still draft a G but it doesn’t have to be at 26.
Kick Tyler inside and who’s playing left tackle? I can’t get an answer on this.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

Think now with Ball moving to Guard, they have several in house options in event they need a spot starter.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think they are much higher on Walesko then many realize. He could become the team's swing Tackle this yr and spot start if needed. Moving Ball to Guard also gives them more options inside. He was a good run blocker that really struggled in pass protection.
This is truly grasping at straws.

You honestly think Ball is a legitimate option at guard? Seriously?

cnuball21

Reaction score
Or have and realized we signed a JAG

Or it will make his struggles to anchor even worse.

Kick Tyler inside and who’s playing left tackle? I can’t get an answer on this.
What are you basing your analysis on? The fact you didn’t even know his name initially makes me think you’ve never even seen him play.

If they decide to kick Tyler inside you play Tyron at LT.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
This is truly grasping at straws.

You honestly think Ball is a legitimate option at guard? Seriously?
You heard MM talking up Walesko this week. Yes, think Ball can at least compete with Farniok, Edoka. Still believe they will add another Guard, but I could see them waiting to day 3 to do so.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What are you basing your analysis on? The fact you didn’t even know his name initially makes me think you’ve never even seen him play.

Autocorrect can do it’s own thing sometimes. But I’ve done research on him tge day they signed him. I even knew they had a measure of interest last year.

Look up his known issues in anchoring and then tell me it’s a good idea putting him at guard.
If they decide to kick Tyler inside you play Tyron at LT.
And what do you do in Week 6 when Tyron is hurt again?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You heard MM talking up Walesko this week. Yes, think Ball can at least compete with Farniok, Edoka.
Waletsko I can buy into. People I know have also been singing his praises. He’s had a great offseason. But he’s a swing tackle at this point. That praise is legit. The Ball talk is ‘Balloney’.

Still believe they will add another Guard, but I could see them waiting to day 3 to do so.
And that’s what you want to tell yourself. And why Josh Ball becomes a valid option to try to justify it.