Draft grades on Charlton to Dallas **merged**

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In this post, we'll look at seven writers who have submitted their grades for the Cowboys already, most of which are "A" grades:

FOX Sports really likes the pick and gave it an A+:

Taco in Dallas is too good to be true. He could be the transformational pass rusher the Cowboys need on that side of the ball. Huge need filled by arguably the second-best player at that position.

Sports Illustrated gave the pick an A-:

The hype on Charlton peaked around pick No. 9 (Cincinnati). This is a far more appropriate range for him, considering that he has shown flashes of brilliance but is still very much a work in progress. And if that’s your scouting report as a defensive lineman, there are few coaches better to help mold your development than Dallas defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli. While Charlton is steady enough against the run that he can be trusted on early downs, Marinelli figures to unleash him most often bending the edge vs. the pass. This fills a need for Dallas, and at a good value.

Walter Football also gave the pick an A-:

One team told us early in the draft process that they regarded Taco Charlton as a top-10 prospect. That changed a bit throughout the spring, but Charlton still provides solid value at No. 28 overall. Charlton is a long, athletic player. The concern is that he's a 1-year wonder, but he's very talented and could potentially solve Dallas' pass-rushing woes. I had Charlton going at No. 21, so the Cowboys did well by being patient and taking one of the better players remaining on the board.

NFL.com: another A-:

The skinny: Dallas had a choice between Charlton and T.J. Watt. Either could have fit their bill, and the need was certainly there. I had Watt with a higher grade, but Charlton's length and agility are impressive. He'll be a very good player for Jerry Jones and Jason Garrett.

The Ringer gave the pick an A- for value and a B+ for fit

At 6-foot-6 and 277 pounds with 34-plus-inch arms, Charlton possesses ideal size and length — but he hasn’t put it all together as a pass rusher. He can be inconsistent at times, and he failed to impress at the combine, clocking in at 4.92 seconds in the 40. That time doesn’t paint an accurate picture of who he is, though: He has a quick first step, displays powerful hands, and shows flashes of an intriguing spin move that could develop into his signature at the next level. Dallas defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli has a history of getting the most out of his defensive linemen; Charlton could contribute early for a Cowboys team bereft of edge rushers.

NESN with yet another A-:

The Cowboys really struggled to rush the passer last season, and Charlton will help draw double teams that will allow other Dallas pass rushers to have an easier route to the opposing quarterback.

CBS Sports breaks up the Cowboys love fest with a B-:

They need help up front, but this kid flashed at times and did little else.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2017...aco-charlton-in-dallas-is-too-good-to-be-true

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I don't mind the pick.

He's got elite size and some upside. I'm not thrilled by any means but he gives us another piece on the DL and if we can't find a Demarcus Ware then maybe we can just get it done in with a number of solid guys.

Collins, Irving, and Charlton make me feel pretty good about the DL.

I hope we add Maliek McDowell to this tonight.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
In this post, we'll look at seven writers who have submitted their grades for the Cowboys already, most of which are "A" grades:

FOX Sports really likes the pick and gave it an A+:

Taco in Dallas is too good to be true. He could be the transformational pass rusher the Cowboys need on that side of the ball. Huge need filled by arguably the second-best player at that position.

Sports Illustrated gave the pick an A-:

The hype on Charlton peaked around pick No. 9 (Cincinnati). This is a far more appropriate range for him, considering that he has shown flashes of brilliance but is still very much a work in progress. And if that’s your scouting report as a defensive lineman, there are few coaches better to help mold your development than Dallas defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli. While Charlton is steady enough against the run that he can be trusted on early downs, Marinelli figures to unleash him most often bending the edge vs. the pass. This fills a need for Dallas, and at a good value.

Walter Football also gave the pick an A-:

One team told us early in the draft process that they regarded Taco Charlton as a top-10 prospect. That changed a bit throughout the spring, but Charlton still provides solid value at No. 28 overall. Charlton is a long, athletic player. The concern is that he's a 1-year wonder, but he's very talented and could potentially solve Dallas' pass-rushing woes. I had Charlton going at No. 21, so the Cowboys did well by being patient and taking one of the better players remaining on the board.

NFL.com: another A-:

The skinny: Dallas had a choice between Charlton and T.J. Watt. Either could have fit their bill, and the need was certainly there. I had Watt with a higher grade, but Charlton's length and agility are impressive. He'll be a very good player for Jerry Jones and Jason Garrett.

The Ringer gave the pick an A- for value and a B+ for fit

At 6-foot-6 and 277 pounds with 34-plus-inch arms, Charlton possesses ideal size and length — but he hasn’t put it all together as a pass rusher. He can be inconsistent at times, and he failed to impress at the combine, clocking in at 4.92 seconds in the 40. That time doesn’t paint an accurate picture of who he is, though: He has a quick first step, displays powerful hands, and shows flashes of an intriguing spin move that could develop into his signature at the next level. Dallas defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli has a history of getting the most out of his defensive linemen; Charlton could contribute early for a Cowboys team bereft of edge rushers.

NESN with yet another A-:

The Cowboys really struggled to rush the passer last season, and Charlton will help draw double teams that will allow other Dallas pass rushers to have an easier route to the opposing quarterback.

CBS Sports breaks up the Cowboys love fest with a B-:

They need help up front, but this kid flashed at times and did little else.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2017...aco-charlton-in-dallas-is-too-good-to-be-true
Thanks for summaries butcher, looks like another solid pick for the team. I wanted Harris but Taco was my second choice for this pick.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Just brief film reminds me of a Tony Tolbert type player/rusher. Good solid end rusher but not dominate like a Haley type. Perhaps under Marinelli they can light a fire under him, teach him some moves and get some production out of him.

TheKey

Faster than Felix
Reaction score
Pretty fair grades.

The Taco pick is really not that bad. They invested in the trenches instead of a cornerback. I'm cool with that.

Plus this tells me the organization is probably skeptical of D. Lawerence.
Who knows. With a little luck, D-Law coming off an injury and in danger of losing his job in a contract year might surprise us.