Draft grades on Charlton to Dallas **merged**

Zordon

Reaction score
Shouldn't this particular post be in the whine thread?
57587406.jpg

ufcrules1

Reaction score
1-year wonder, potential, inconsistent, one good season in college etc. These are all words people have used to describe him. Not good.

rickster14

Reaction score
Like the height, weight, and arm length. I just think that we needed (and still do) a RDE with speed off the edge. 4.9 (4.8 pro day) doesn't cut it for me. Hopefully, Tapper and his 4.59 speed can help us.

Also, not sure how consistent his motor is. Watt also has questions, but he goes nonstop.

Still a reach to me. I would have gone CB here and then look for a faster DE later.

At least it appears than Taco seems to be clean. Don't need another drug risk at DE

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Did Jerry come out and say...We have our War Daddy...with a Taco in one hand and a bottle of JWB in the other.....:muttley:

NeonNinja

Dash28
Reaction score
1-year wonder, potential, inconsistent, one good season in college etc. These are all words people have used to describe him. Not good.
Yeah. Only words used. Bust! You nailed it.

Take this to the rant zone. Weak.

dstew60105

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
In this post, we'll look at seven writers who have submitted their grades for the Cowboys already, most of which are "A" grades:

FOX Sports really likes the pick and gave it an A+:

Taco in Dallas is too good to be true. He could be the transformational pass rusher the Cowboys need on that side of the ball. Huge need filled by arguably the second-best player at that position.

Sports Illustrated gave the pick an A-:

The hype on Charlton peaked around pick No. 9 (Cincinnati). This is a far more appropriate range for him, considering that he has shown flashes of brilliance but is still very much a work in progress. And if that’s your scouting report as a defensive lineman, there are few coaches better to help mold your development than Dallas defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli. While Charlton is steady enough against the run that he can be trusted on early downs, Marinelli figures to unleash him most often bending the edge vs. the pass. This fills a need for Dallas, and at a good value.

Walter Football also gave the pick an A-:

One team told us early in the draft process that they regarded Taco Charlton as a top-10 prospect. That changed a bit throughout the spring, but Charlton still provides solid value at No. 28 overall. Charlton is a long, athletic player. The concern is that he's a 1-year wonder, but he's very talented and could potentially solve Dallas' pass-rushing woes. I had Charlton going at No. 21, so the Cowboys did well by being patient and taking one of the better players remaining on the board.

NFL.com: another A-:

The skinny: Dallas had a choice between Charlton and T.J. Watt. Either could have fit their bill, and the need was certainly there. I had Watt with a higher grade, but Charlton's length and agility are impressive. He'll be a very good player for Jerry Jones and Jason Garrett.

The Ringer gave the pick an A- for value and a B+ for fit

At 6-foot-6 and 277 pounds with 34-plus-inch arms, Charlton possesses ideal size and length — but he hasn’t put it all together as a pass rusher. He can be inconsistent at times, and he failed to impress at the combine, clocking in at 4.92 seconds in the 40. That time doesn’t paint an accurate picture of who he is, though: He has a quick first step, displays powerful hands, and shows flashes of an intriguing spin move that could develop into his signature at the next level. Dallas defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli has a history of getting the most out of his defensive linemen; Charlton could contribute early for a Cowboys team bereft of edge rushers.

NESN with yet another A-:

The Cowboys really struggled to rush the passer last season, and Charlton will help draw double teams that will allow other Dallas pass rushers to have an easier route to the opposing quarterback.

CBS Sports breaks up the Cowboys love fest with a B-:

They need help up front, but this kid flashed at times and did little else.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2017...aco-charlton-in-dallas-is-too-good-to-be-true

Nice grades.

MrPhil

Reaction score

You'd think that by now that we would take all these scouting reports, both positive and negative, with a grain of salt. Too many times we have seen "can't miss" prospects flop and prospects as described above thrive once they got into the NFL.

Personally, after the last few years of drafting success, I am going to give the team the benefit of the doubt. To me, Taco is a solid pick at a position of need who has the potential to be really good.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I was so-so with the pick, but I'm warming up to it.
Here's what's in the Cowboys favor:

1. He has the body to play immediately. I don't know if the same could be said for TJ Watts or any of the other OLB/DE picks we had a legitimate shot at in Round 1.

2. He's healthy. Unlike Takk, we won't have to wait for him to heal. His virtually plug-and-play ready.

3. I think we fans forget that sometimes these great players aren't playing with the best units in college football. So when scouts say he (Taco) flashes brilliance. That could be a product of having to go all out every play or being double team (which wears you down) because he's playing next to subpar teammates. You put Taco on a line with other top players (in the sense that they are actually playing in the NFL and Taco's college team members aren't in the NFL at all), and you may get a better reflection of his talent and maybe those flashes become more consistent.

4. I know some fans wish we would have taken a first-round talent (Stephen said we passed on some). But realistically, there are even grades to first-round talent. Is a Kevin King (assuming he had a first-round grade going to give you more than Taco is? Is the difference he's going to make as a corner going to be greater than the difference Taco will make as a pass rusher - something we desperately need? If King is another Deion Sanders, then, yes, we missed the boat. But if he's going to be simply reliable, then I don't know if it matters much that we passed him for Taco.)

At any rate, I'm happy with the progress the Cowboys are making. I really, really wanted Reuben Foster, but I can understand the red flags associated with him, and the Randy Gregory experience/experiment kind of changed our plans as it relates to taking chances on players who could bomb. So for now I'll have to say ...

I'll have a Taco Supreme to go.