Draft Prospect Vids

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
MiStar said:
At least Carpenter and Wimbley had to deal with blockers in some of their highlights. I find it slightly disconcerting that Lawson has only two moves, a good outside speed rush and a mediocre spin move.

In terms of pass rushing skills I would rank them Wimbley, Carpenter, and Lawson based on comparable highlight videos.
Actually, just about all of Carpenter's clips were b-line shots at the QB. Very few, if any, showed him facing a defender and out-maneuvering or overpowering him.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
im starting to ride with wimberly based on his school.lol

fsu has had sooooooooooooooo many sick defensive players thru the years.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
lcharles said:
My choice would be in this order....

1. Carpenter= just looks like a football player

2. Lawson= great potential because of athletic ability

3. Wimbley= solid pick

BTW, We really should try and pick Charlie Whitehurst as well. Could be a diamond in the rough.

I agree. I don't think I would be disappointed with either, but Lawson still remains at the top of the list.

Marktui

Reaction score
Carpenter looks solid, strong at the point of attack. Thought he was OK in pass rush, doesn't have the blazing speed of Lawson. I think he would make a good S OLB. How much more upside does he have?

Wimbley, looked rock solid as well, bigger and quicker verson of Carpenter, but he has never played OLB before, so that would be a big learning curve. He looked like he has enough bulk on him to where he could make the switch to LB, but coverage wise he might be a liability.

Lawson has SPEED and that cannot be taught, but you have question his size, he looks really lean and don't know if he can bulk up and handle the Strong side. But his speed is crazy, he might have the most upside out of all of them.

BIGDen

Dr. Freakasaurus
Reaction score
lcharles said:
My choice would be in this order....

1. Carpenter= just looks like a football player

2. Lawson= great potential because of athletic ability

3. Wimbley= solid pick

QUOTE]

Ditto. Thanks CL4ever for posting the vids!

rexrobinson

Reaction score
Marktui said:
Lawson has SPEED and that cannot be taught, but you have question his size, he looks really lean and don't know if he can bulk up and handle the Strong side. But his speed is crazy, he might have the most upside out of all of them.

Lawson looks lean because he is 6'5 and some places have him at 6'6 but anyhow, he has stated that he can and will add bulk as needed until it slows him down. He views his speed and explosion off the ball as his primary assets.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Lawson looks like he'd have to play the weakside, primarily as a pass rusher. Are we planning to move Ware to the strongside? If not, as athletic as Lawson may be, Carpenter and Wimbley appear to be better fits for this team.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
JohnsKey19 said:
Lawson looks like he'd have to play the weakside, primarily as a pass rusher. Are we planning to move Ware to the strongside? If not, as athletic as Lawson may be, Carpenter and Wimbley appear to be better fits for this team.
Why do you say that?

rexrobinson

Reaction score
Honestly, Strong side and Weak side are "old" terms.

Outside linebackers are catagorized "Left OLB" and "Right OLB" because the rightside of the center is not always the strong side since the days motion offense was invented. Very few (Colts) offenses run many plays without motion of some sort. All OLBs must be able to play Strong and Weak sides as if it was primary.

If DeMarcus Ware was considered a Weakside OLB, he should of stood up and ran to the other side of the formation when the Tight End motions to his side. Since he does not do that, he takes the role of LOLB on the strong side and the duties assosiated with that.

Any OLB playing opposite DeMarcus Ware will have to be just as good as stopping the run as passing the rusher and pass coverage. The ROLB and LOLB are interchangable and with motion offense MUST take on both roles

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I don't care how many sacks Bobby Carpenter had last year (and if you judged it by this highlight video, most of them came unblocked due to poor blitz pickup by the OL) that guy is a middle linebacker. He takes forever and a day to hit 5th gear. Lawson looks just like how I remembered him in games ... a good athlete who gets manhandled way too often. Dude has absolutely no base to stack. He belongs in the 3rd round, where he was originally projected before the workouts.

Based on those videos, Wimbley looks the most explosive.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
I don't care how many sacks Bobby Carpenter had last year (and if you judged it by this highlight video, most of them came unblocked due to poor blitz pickup by the OL) that guy is a middle linebacker.

thats what it seems like to me also.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
kobe2jail said:
Anyone else besides me worried that Manny lined up on the right side all of the time? Thats demarcus ware's territory. I wonder how comfortable manny would be on the left side.

That's the first thing I noticed as well. Makes you wonder how well he'd make the transition to the other side of the line. I think Carpenter, Wimbley, or Lawson would all be solid picks, but after watching those videos, Lawson has the biggest upside by FAR!!!!!

SS

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
I don't know about Carpenter, granted I haven't seen much of him throughout his career but to me Manny plays in a different gear. I will be disappointed if someone’s nabs Manny before us and I would be even more disappointed if both are there and we pick Bobby.

Manny = Lightning In A Bottle
Bobby = Good

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
I don't care how many sacks Bobby Carpenter had last year (and if you judged it by this highlight video, most of them came unblocked due to poor blitz pickup by the OL) that guy is a middle linebacker. He takes forever and a day to hit 5th gear. Lawson looks just like how I remembered him in games ... a good athlete who gets manhandled way too often. Dude has absolutely no base to stack. He belongs in the 3rd round, where he was originally projected before the workouts.

But he didn't get manhandled in any of the clips shown. Those clips may be the exceptions, but you certainly can't make this claim based on looking at the clips in the link.

Manster68

Reaction score
Marktui said:

Terrell Suggs had the same knock when he came out, but he seems to be doing just fine in Baltimore.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
theogt said:
This should be stickied til draft day.
I am completely amazed at Lawson's speed, and more so his ability to accelerate after escaping the blocks, it's completely insane.

People are dogging Carpenters game speed, but one thing I saw is that he is a powerful hitter, and extremely aggressive at the point of attack.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
theogt said:
I agree with everyone else. Based purely on these videos Lawson is the best pass-rusher. I would rank them (1) Lawson, (2) Wimbley, (3) Carpenter based on pass-rushing alone.

The clip of Lawson chasing down the QB from the opposite side was just sick.

Carpenter may be better at stopping the run based on his size and strength. I'm not really sure who would be best in pass coverage. Lawson's speed makes me lean toward him though.

Completely unbiased opinion I'm sure. :rolleyes:

And, no, Lawson isn't the best pure pass rusher. He's the best pure speed rusher. There's a difference.