Draft Prospect Vids

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
People are dogging Carpenters game speed, but one thing I saw is that he is a powerful hitter, and extremely aggressive at the point of attack.

Which is what I believe counts when you are looking for a 3-4 linebacker who can stack the line. How much does everyone think we will be sending both linebackers? We have one speed rusher in Ware. Two would be nice to field in Madden, but a physical mismatch in real life. You typically have outside linebackers who play off each other, not that are virtual clones.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Rack said:
Completely unbiased opinion I'm sure. :rolleyes:

And, no, Lawson isn't the best pure pass rusher. He's the best pure speed rusher. There's a difference.
It was completley unbiased, yes. I have no personal investment in Lawson. Heck, I'll admit to not having seen much of him prior to this off-season. I'm not a NCState fan either. However, BASED ***SOLELY*** ON THOSE VIDEOS I think it is clear that Lawson comes off as the best pass rusher, period. However, you wouldn't make a decision based on these videos alone, of course.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
rexrobinson said:
Honestly, Strong side and Weak side are "old" terms.

Outside linebackers are catagorized "Left OLB" and "Right OLB"

You've been playing too much Madden.

Terrell Suggs had the same knock when he came out, but he seems to be doing just fine in Baltimore.

:hammer:

I'll take a PASS rusher over a SPEED rusher anyday.

That said, if we need a weakside LB I'd take Lawson or Wimbley. We don't need a WOLB. We need a SOLB. Wish people had enough understanding of the game to know the difference.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
theogt said:
It was completley unbiased, yes. I have no personal investment in Lawson. Heck, I'll admit to not having seen much of him prior to this off-season. I'm not a NCState fan either. However, BASED ***SOLELY*** ON THOSE VIDEOS I think it is clear that Lawson comes off as the best pass rusher, period. However, you wouldn't make a decision based on these videos alone, of course.

We keep talking about pass rusher. What of the other things the player that plays that side would be expected to do? Who has a set of comparison videos showing how well Lawson does in coverage? That is just as important as him rushing the QB.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
theogt said:

Again, best pure pass rusher? No.

Best speed rusher? Yes.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Alexander said:
We keep talking about pass rusher. What of the other things the player that plays that side would be expected to do? Who has a set of comparison videos showing how well Lawson does in coverage? That is just as important as him rushing the QB.
That's a completely different story of course. I sure wish we had access to more game tape. Lawson's speed makes me feel more confortable in coverage. As for run stopping, like I said earlier, Carpenter is the best there.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
theogt said:
Again, best pass rusher, period.

Again, you are simply WRONG. Period.

Of Lawson's clips he was either

1. The second guy to the QB

2. Got the sack only after the QB had plenty of time to throw.

3. Got the sack only after the QB was forced to his side.

It's right there in those "Highlight" videos. You can't deny it.

Best pure pass rusher? Only to the ignorant.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
Here's another little Lawson (downloadable clip of his combine sprint) Props to TEK2000
http://s65.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2T53BQ0RO65CF0XTKW75U78WZO

And Bobby Carpenter
http://s65.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2FYT1K1BEU50V2Y5***5F5E98C

Carpenter looks even better in these videos compared to Lawson then in the other videos.

I don't know why they only showed the end of like 3 of Lawson's clips. They don't show the entire play, just the end of it.

But Carpenter showed PASS rush skills in these clips. On Stunts to the inside, defeating a double team, etc...

All it shows of Lawson is the end of some clips, and some plays where he speed rushes. No "Pure" pass rush skills (in that clip).

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Rack said:
Again, you are simply WRONG. Period.

Of Lawson's clips he was either

1. The second guy to the QB

2. Got the sack only after the QB had plenty of time to throw.

3. Got the sack only after the QB was forced to his side.

It's right there in those "Highlight" videos. You can't deny it.

Best pure pass rusher? Only to the ignorant.
I assure you Rack this is the last time that I respond to one of your posts. You are clearly a troll and have no clue what you are talking about. I have taken the time to summarize each and every play in the clip. Whatever you were watching is not what was posted. You have zero credibility with me.

1. Ran down the RB from the backside. First to the RB.

2. Cut inside and sacked the QB as he tucked and began to run forward out of the pocket. First to the QB.

3. Beats the LT (by speed) on the outside and sacks the QB before he can step up in the pocket. First to the QB.

4. Tips pass.

5. Beats the LT (by speed) ont eh outside and sacks the QB before he can step up in the pocket. First to the QB.

6. Spins off LT outside and almost gets to QB before he passes (perhaps hurried the QB, but its not clear). Another player tackles the QB after the pass is off.

7. Spins off LT inside and almost gets to QB before pass gets off (obviously hurried the QB, the pass is a "duck" and looks to be incomplete but is slightly off camer). First to the QB.

8. Gets to QB somehow (not on tape) and bats the pass down. First to QB.

9. Gets to QB somehow (how he beats LT is not on tape) and sacks the QB. First to QB.

10. Spins back inside and sacks QB as the QB begins to scramble. First to QB.

11. Same play (#10).

12. Just shows him tackling an RB. Looks like he is the first to the RB.

13. Beats the LT on the outside (by speed) and sacks the QB who is rolling right (THE OPPOSITE SIDE!!!). Incredible speed on this play. First to QB.

14. Just shows him sacking the QB (can't tell whats going on). First to QB.

Only in a few plays did the QB have a significant amount of time to get the ball off. The majority were before the passer has time to take his drop and step up to throw. Again, this is the last time I respond to you, a troll who berates others when he himself has a serious deficiency of intellect and knowledge . I apologize to the moderators for "getting ugly" in this post.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Thanks for the clips.

The only guy we got to see much of in the run game was Carpenter. Typically, the ability to stack and shed doesn't make highlight clips for ends.

Lawson, by far, had the best speed. Wimbley wasn't as fast, but looked like he might be a bit more stout than Manny.

Carpenter, IMO, has the best combination of skills for the position. The outside contain and tackle in both clips. The ability to beat a double team on the pass rush. The ability to drop into coverage and the ability to bull over a guard.

Frankly, I wouldn't be disappointed in any of the three although Wimbley and Carpenter are a bit higher on my list than Lawson right now. Not sure he is the best fit and I think people are in love with his crazy measurables. Those three and Justice (if he falls) will probably be the best value at 18.

Loved Greenway's clip. He jumped on a pile for one "highlight". Another showed him running up and congratulating someone else after they made the play. :laugh2:

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
theogt said:
I assure you Rack this is the last time that I respond to one of your posts. You are clearly a troll and have no clue what you are talking about.

OMG.

Do us all a favor and grow a pair.

Me a troll? You've got to be f'in kidding me. Is that how you react to everyone that disagrees with you?

Again, do us all a favor and grow a pair.

And just to be clear, the DAY you know more about football then I do is the day I slit my own throat. And that day will never happen. I hate to be one of those "I know more about football then you do" people, but in this case it's obvious. Obvious to everyone but you, obviously.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Man, all them spin moves on the Lawson video remind me of Charles Haley. Boy do I hope we can grab him to play with Ware! Bulk of both of those fellas and we will have a scary defense. :cool:

rags747

Reaction score
I'll take Carpenter but Manny just looks so much more catalytic!

Race Bannon

Reaction score
Additional footage of prospects is available for those of us who are lucky enough to have the NFL Network as well as an In Demand cable provider.

Just hit your In Demand button, find the NFL Network and they have combine and college footage of all the blue-chippers. Enjoy.;)

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Race Bannon said:
Additional footage of prospects is available for those of us who are lucky enough to have the NFL Network as well as an In Demand cable provider.

Just hit your In Demand button, find the NFL Network and they have combine and college footage of all the blue-chippers. Enjoy.;)
I wish someone could record them and move them over to the zone, that would be FANTASTIC!

GoodOleDays

Reaction score
first off thanks for the vids, its hard to watch all these young studs during the season.

after watching i would like to pick wimbley at 18 if hes there. the guy looks like everything we need. hes powerful, fast, and gets to the qb. his coverage skills might need work, but thats teachable. i dont know exactly how to put it in words, but he just looks like an all around stud.

1.) wimbley
2.) lawson
3.) carpenter (i wouldnt take him at 18, he'll be solid but not worth first round pick IMO).

as far as wr's go, nothing that impressive to me.. holmes looks like the safest pick at 18. would be a great slot wr for us at the moment.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
GoodOleDays said:
first off thanks for the vids, its hard to watch all these young studs during the season.

after watching i would like to pick wimbley at 18 if hes there. the guy looks like everything we need. hes powerful, fast, and gets to the qb. his coverage skills might need work, but thats teachable. i dont know exactly how to put it in words, but he just looks like an all around stud.

1.) wimbley
2.) lawson
3.) carpenter (i wouldnt take him at 18, he'll be solid but not worth first round pick IMO).

as far as wr's go, nothing that impressive to me.. holmes looks like the safest pick at 18. would be a great slot wr for us at the moment.
I too came away with that impression about the WR. I really expected to see so much more with the receivers, but they all look like 2nd to 3rd rounders IMO.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
I too came away with that impression about the WR. I really expected to see so much more with the receivers, but they all look like 2nd to 3rd rounders IMO.
I dunno. I kinda liked how Jackson had significant separation in just about ever play.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
theogt said:
I dunno. I kinda liked how Jackson had significant separation in just about ever play.
Actually, my favorite was Derek Hagan. I liked his seperation and his hands. He has a sick 10 yard dash time I think.