Draft Recap

cnuball21

Reaction score
Well we got another draft in the books. Fun weekend and appreciate everyone’s posts and messages. Now that the dust settles sharing some post draft thoughts. Consensus big board ranking in parenthesis.

1: Tyler Guyton (30) - I was vocal about feeling very confident that a stud would fall to us at 24. Terrion Arnold (12) was that blinking light. The Cowboys ignored him and went with the bigger need by trading down and selecting Guyton. Im higher on Guyton than most, and felt like at 24 it was an ok pick, but feel really good about adding a 3rd and still getting him at 29. Big if a traits pick but the traits are loud and our team does well with OLmen. I though it was a very good move and pick but could’ve been exceptional taking Arnold who has been in discussions as the best defender in the draft.

2: Marshawn Kneeland (60): with the departure of a few DEs in the offseason Cowboys add another Edge to the DE room. I love the power, effort and motor and think he can give us quality run D snaps as a rookie. He’s a good athlete with great length but I really struggle with the lack of production. If you’re a small schooler IMO you need to be an elite athlete and have elite production to warrant a premium pick. Kneelands sack and pressure numbers were well below average for a 2nd rounder especially considering level of comp. I know Dane was high on him but I just don’t see the bend that most impact DEs have in order to be above average players in the league.

3: Cooper Beebe (46) - Interior OLmen falls to our 3rd round pick and we double down on OL. I didn’t like the idea of double dipping on OL bc it’s overkill but Beebe was a great pick that married massive value plus filling a big need. Will come in and compete for C year 1 and potentially replace Martin long term.

3: Marist Liufau (169) - super excited that we added a 3rd but equally disappointed in the massive reach for need. Liufau is good in coverage and as a blitzer but not very good against the run. Love the physicality he plays with but his reports rea’s he lacks eyes and instincts. Another Overshown type player. Most disappointing pick in the draft IMO.

5. Caelen Carson (116) - great value pick to add another CB to compete in the DB room. I’ve seen him going in the 3rd in several mocks so think this was a great pick. A little raw and needs to refine technique but very good athlete with sticky feet. Good tape against FSU. Him or Beebe probably my favorite pick in draft.

I honestly haven’t watched the late rounders so won’t comment on them. I like the fact we added a few good athletes with traits that could develop into contributors AND got our NT at the end.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
It’s a mixed bag for me, just too many needs to fill in 1 draft class:

1-I wasn’t a fan of the Guyton pick but getting an extra 3 lessen the risk. My hope is, he is surrounded by hard workers will run off, heard Beebe is also a Duke Mayweather guy, perhaps they convince him to do the same. Also worried about his transition to LT.

2-his comp is DLaw. Probably never an elite pass rusher, but could be very like Lawrence, more balanced LE who can excel at stopping the run and give you inside/outside pass rush, more with effort.

3-I really believe Wallace was their guy, he was taken right in front of Beebe. However, he was a 30 vistit guy who many post draft have been giving high endorsements. We all hated the Hitchens pick, he turned out to be pretty good. This is where I would have drafted Payton Wilson, was worth it at this juncture. Could have also drafted a running back like Wright as well. Time will tell.

Day 3 many of the experts thought the Cowboys did real well. Got a corner who many think will be a future starter and had him in the 3rd rd. The wide receiver is a legitimate x receiver which is longer on the roster, he could potentially replace Gallup. The two lineman have a chance to earn backup roles.

I liked how the majority of the picks were for the trenches, they have to do the same as the OL for the DL next draft, maybe draft a high receiver and get a running back, just way too many needs to accomplish in 1 draft.

I truly believe we are going through a little rebuild, players like Tyron, Martin, DLaw will all be off the roster next season and they are preparing for that.

rambo2

Reaction score
Well we got another draft in the books. Fun weekend and appreciate everyone’s posts and messages. Now that the dust settles sharing some post draft thoughts. Consensus big board ranking in parenthesis.

1: Tyler Guyton (30) - I was vocal about feeling very confident that a stud would fall to us at 24. Terrion Arnold (12) was that blinking light. The Cowboys ignored him and went with the bigger need by trading down and selecting Guyton. Im higher on Guyton than most, and felt like at 24 it was an ok pick, but feel really good about adding a 3rd and still getting him at 29. Big if a traits pick but the traits are loud and our team does well with OLmen. I though it was a very good move and pick but could’ve been exceptional taking Arnold who has been in discussions as the best defender in the draft.

2: Marshawn Kneeland (60): with the departure of a few DEs in the offseason Cowboys add another Edge to the DE room. I love the power, effort and motor and think he can give us quality run D snaps as a rookie. He’s a good athlete with great length but I really struggle with the lack of production. If you’re a small schooler IMO you need to be an elite athlete and have elite production to warrant a premium pick. Kneelands sack and pressure numbers were well below average for a 2nd rounder especially considering level of comp. I know Dane was high on him but I just don’t see the bend that most impact DEs have in order to be above average players in the league.

3: Cooper Beebe (46) - Interior OLmen falls to our 3rd round pick and we double down on OL. I didn’t like the idea of double dipping on OL bc it’s overkill but Beebe was a great pick that married massive value plus filling a big need. Will come in and compete for C year 1 and potentially replace Martin long term.

3: Marist Liufau (169) - super excited that we added a 3rd but equally disappointed in the massive reach for need. Liufau is good in coverage and as a blitzer but not very good against the run. Love the physicality he plays with but his reports rea’s he lacks eyes and instincts. Another Overshown type player. Most disappointing pick in the draft IMO.

5. Caelen Carson (116) - great value pick to add another CB to compete in the DB room. I’ve seen him going in the 3rd in several mocks so think this was a great pick. A little raw and needs to refine technique but very good athlete with sticky feet. Good tape against FSU. Him or Beebe probably my favorite pick in draft.

I honestly haven’t watched the late rounders so won’t comment on them. I like the fact we added a few good athletes with traits that could develop into contributors AND got our NT at the end.
Interesting that they got Guyton and Beebe and still got a corner later in Carson. I'll take that.

morasp

Reaction score
I think there are 4-5 starters in this draft. Two this season.

Bluefin

Reaction score
Stephen Jones said they had chances to trade down in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounds, but it would've taken an all-time offer to get them to move out of #87 with LB Marist Liufau being available.

It's viewed as a reach, but Dallas really valued Liufau.

I'm surprised they didn't reach for a RB at any point and happy they didn't trade up for Jonathon Brooks in round 2.

morasp

Reaction score
Stephen Jones said they had chances to trade down in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounds, but it would've taken an all-time offer to get them to move out of #87 with LB Marist Liufau being available.

It's viewed as a reach, but Dallas really valued Liufau.

I'm surprised they didn't reach for a RB at any point and happy they didn't trade up for Jonathon Brooks in round 2.
It sounds like he was a 30 visit and Mike Zimmer was very impressed by his high football IQ.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
I really liked the draft minus the LB pick. Very high on Kneeland. I think the kid is a stud. I see an explosive athletic and powerful player. I think his best football is ahead of him. It’s funny.. Bruglar and Daniel Jeremiah had this kid in their top 50. ESPN had this kid with an 86 grade. Don’t always agree with them but in this case I do. Would have definitely taken Lloyd over the LB and that would have made the draft an A for me.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It sounds like he was a 30 visit and Mike Zimmer was very impressed by his high football IQ.
He was a 30 visit.

There are some pre and post Draft videos on the Cowboys site and Marist and Texas DT Murphy were in the video prior to the draft. So they were both visits.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
3: Cooper Beebe (46) - Interior OLmen falls to our 3rd round pick and we double down on OL. I didn’t like the idea of double dipping on OL bc it’s overkill

3: Marist Liufau (169) - super excited that we added a 3rd but equally disappointed in the massive reach for need.
Double dipping on the OL was a good thing not overkill. Remember, the Cowboys lost 2 starting OL's. There is no way Beebe should have got out of the early 2nd. This was a home run pick on talent AND value. Cowboys considered him at 56!

Liufau wasn't a massive reach. He was someone the Cowboys targeted and wanted. He fits their scheme and fills a need. This is where the Cowboys had him on their board. Clearly many others didn't have him that high but all that doesn't matter. The fact that the Cowboys had offers to trade down and passed on them all to draft him should tell you how badly they wanted him. Top 30 visit also.

BTW good draft recap!!!!!

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
This is where the Cowboys had him on their board. Clearly many others didn't have him that high but all that doesn't matter. The fact that the Cowboys had offers to trade down and passed on them all to draft him should tell you how badly they wanted him. Top 30 visit also.
I think fans forget, that the media draft gurus are not professional player evaluators. Besides, mid-late picks are drafted for specific team needs. I admit to not having a clue about the pick but like you said, for them to pass up a chance to trade down, they are very high on him. That's good enough for me........

cnuball21

Reaction score
It’s a mixed bag for me, just too many needs to fill in 1 draft class:

1-I wasn’t a fan of the Guyton pick but getting an extra 3 lessen the risk. My hope is, he is surrounded by hard workers will run off, heard Beebe is also a Duke Mayweather guy, perhaps they convince him to do the same. Also worried about his transition to LT.

2-his comp is DLaw. Probably never an elite pass rusher, but could be very like Lawrence, more balanced LE who can excel at stopping the run and give you inside/outside pass rush, more with effort.

3-I really believe Wallace was their guy, he was taken right in front of Beebe. However, he was a 30 vistit guy who many post draft have been giving high endorsements. We all hated the Hitchens pick, he turned out to be pretty good. This is where I would have drafted Payton Wilson, was worth it at this juncture. Could have also drafted a running back like Wright as well. Time will tell.

Day 3 many of the experts thought the Cowboys did real well. Got a corner who many think will be a future starter and had him in the 3rd rd. The wide receiver is a legitimate x receiver which is longer on the roster, he could potentially replace Gallup. The two lineman have a chance to earn backup roles.

I liked how the majority of the picks were for the trenches, they have to do the same as the OL for the DL next draft, maybe draft a high receiver and get a running back, just way too many needs to accomplish in 1 draft.

I truly believe we are going through a little rebuild, players like Tyron, Martin, DLaw will all be off the roster next season and they are preparing for that.
Agree for the most part, but man I’m struggling with Kneeland. Tank was a monster in college and had way better production and he had a bit more bend. I think Kneeland is the pick I dislike the most bc I don’t see him much different than the kid we took in the 4th last year.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Double dipping on the OL was a good thing not overkill. Remember, the Cowboys lost 2 starting OL's. There is no way Beebe should have got out of the early 2nd. This was a home run pick on talent AND value. Cowboys considered him at 56!

Liufau wasn't a massive reach. He was someone the Cowboys targeted and wanted. He fits their scheme and fills a need. This is where the Cowboys had him on their board. Clearly many others didn't have him that high but all that doesn't matter. The fact that the Cowboys had offers to trade down and passed on them all to draft him should tell you how badly they wanted him. Top 30 visit also.

I understand but with how bad our defense has been against good teams I don’t think we had the luxury to double dip.

At some point you have to let the young guys develop and get a chance.

IMO we’ve done borderline nothing to get better at DT and the LBr we drafted is more of a coverage guy and blitzer which is more of the same if what we have.

We really need Mazi to take a massive leap and one of Overshown / Clark / Marist to set up big time at LBr.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
The Cowboys did what they said they were going to do improve the run game on offense and stop the run game on defense. If you combine the drafts from this year and last year you will see their plan coming together. The Cowboys expect big second seasons from Mazi, Schoonmaker, Overshown, and Duece. Can’t wait till training camp.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Agree for the most part, but man I’m struggling with Kneeland. Tank was a monster in college and had way better production and he had a bit more bend. I think Kneeland is the pick I dislike the most bc I don’t see him much different than the kid we took in the 4th last year.
Kneeland is far more athletic player. Most of the media scouts had him as a top 50 player, he was 2nd on Kiper's best available, so his value seems about right based on the consensus.

In my opinion, looks like more of a base LE who won't ever become an elite edge rusher, but still will have value against the pass. First, we need run defenders, especially one one can set the edge. Parsons struggled badly with this concept, where teams had great success running right at him. You can argue we were just as bad on outside runs then within the interior. I see Parsons more off the ball in obvious run situations. Kneeland is a high-effort bull rusher where you see consistent push in the pocket. If he can disrupt the pocket inside that will allow our pass rushers to hit home more frequently. I see a strong run defender, who will probably give us 6 sacks on a given year, but his worth might be outside the box score.

NDGAEDE

Reaction score
Good write up. I agree for the most part.

I do like the Kneeland pick quite a bit, so we disagree there. Carson and Beebe definitely the standouts.

I am a bit down on the draft because of what we didn't get. But that was gonna happen regardless, with the lack of free agency action. No matter what, we were gonna leave meat on the bone

Chasing6

Reaction score

When is the Supplemental draft??? July?

rambo2

Reaction score

Beebe is such a solid pick. They got very lucky that the corner fell to 24 and the Lions overpayed for him. This draft has a chance of being very good. A good chance of hitting on several of these picks.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Kneeland is far more athletic player. Most of the media scouts had him as a top 50 player, he was 2nd on Kiper's best available, so his value seems about right based on the consensus.

In my opinion, looks like more of a base LE who won't ever become an elite edge rusher, but still will have value against the pass. First, we need run defenders, especially one one can set the edge. Parsons struggled badly with this concept, where teams had great success running right at him. You can argue we were just as bad on outside runs then within the interior. I see Parsons more off the ball in obvious run situations. Kneeland is a high-effort bull rusher where you see consistent push in the pocket. If he can disrupt the pocket inside that will allow our pass rushers to hit home more frequently. I see a strong run defender, who will probably give us 6 sacks on a given year, but his worth might be outside the box score.
Oh I’m with you. He’s a very solid run player and a good athlete for his size, but again, I just don’t see the bend required to be a plus Edge rusher in the NFL.

He was ranked fairly high but I just have a real hard time spending a 2nd rounder on a run stuffing Edge I don’t see a lot of pass rush upside in.