Draft Recap

Cowboyny

Reaction score
RB's Everyone plus you had ranked higher, Doesn't matter cause apparently they weren't ranked higher on the Dallas board.
Take it to what is worth, Pauline had Marist as his 81st prospect. Perhaps the actual scouts viewed him higher. Just look at Wallace, many media scouts ranked him as a 5th rd pick, he went 72.

J-man

Reaction score
Priority number one was to impact the run game. A DE that can set the edge and collapse the tackle will have a positive impact on our biggest problem on defense. Anything he can add to the pass rush is a bonus. Most likely early in his career he will be off the field on 3rd down.
I agree, he is here to sure up our run defense. He also allows them to rest D-Law more in the games. I liked Armstrong as a pass rusher but he lacked big time as a run defender. They couldn't put him on the filed during running plays. By the 4th D-Law was worn out. Kneeland helps alleviate this problem, which keeps D-Law fresher for late game run defense and pass rushing duties.

rambo2

Reaction score
Take it to what is worth, Pauline had Marist as his 81st prospect. Perhaps the actual scouts viewed him higher. Just look at Wallace, many media scouts ranked him as a 5th rd pick, he went 72.
The Cowboys obviously wanted Marist Liufau badly and they may have known that they would miss out on him if they traded back. Time will tell if it was the right move or not. They could have traded back and picked up a running back and another linebacker. So, it comes down to how good Liufau is for them. Hopefully, it turns out well for them.

J-man

Reaction score
I was shaking my head at the time, thinking they could have taken Wilson or Lloyd instead. But I am not a professional scout or talent evaluator. I will leave that up to them and assume they are better at this than I am. For the most part they usually are. I will definitely be watching the careers of all 3. For now all I can do is hope this kid can come in and play well.
I have a feeling they feel good about the room with Kendricks and Overshown being here and ready. Clarke isn't great but he isn't horrible either.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The Cowboys obviously wanted Marist Liufau badly and they may have known that they would miss out on him if they traded back. Time will tell if it was the right move or not. They could have traded back and picked up a running back and another linebacker. So, it comes down to how good Liufau is for them. Hopefully, it turns out well for them.
Read that Zimmer was very impressed with his high IQ, that he knew everyone's assignment pre-snap. There were reports that he was calling out plays at the East/West Shrine Bowl.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I was shaking my head at the time, thinking they could have taken Wilson or Lloyd instead. But I am not a professional scout or talent evaluator. I will leave that up to them and assume they are better at this than I am. For the most part they usually are. I will definitely be watching the careers of all 3. For now all I can do is hope this kid can come in and play well.
I have a feeling they feel good about the room with Kendricks and Overshown being here and ready. Clarke isn't great but he isn't horrible either.
While I like the physicality and play style of Marist, I feel like we just keep adding more of the same at LBr.

Overshown strength are coverage and blitzing. Marists strengths are coverage and blitzing. Neither are known for having plus eyes and instincts and being great against the run which is arguably what we need MOST at LBr.

rambo2

Reaction score
Read that Zimmer was very impressed with his high IQ, that he knew everyone's assignment pre-snap. There were reports that he was calling out plays at the East/West Shrine Bowl.
For them to skip on all those running backs for Liufau tells us a lot. It's going to be real interesting what Zimmer does with this defense.

J-man

Reaction score
While I like the physicality and play style of Marist, I feel like we just keep adding more of the same at LBr.

Overshown strength are coverage and blitzing. Marists strengths are coverage and blitzing. Neither are known for having plus eyes and instincts and being great against the run which is arguably what we need MOST at LBr.
I agree, a big run stuffing MLB is what they need most. I think they may have secretly really wanted Jr Colson but when he got taken earlier they may have panicked just a little bit.
But I hear he really impressed Zimmer with his football IQ so lets hope he is at least the center field general they need.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I agree, a big run stuffing MLB is what they need most. I think they may have secretly really wanted Jr Colson but when he got taken earlier they may have panicked just a little bit.
But I hear he really impressed Zimmer with his football IQ so lets hope he is at least the center field general they need.
We’ll see…unfortunately instincts is something most players either have or don’t and I’m not sure it’s something you can coach into someone.

Hopefully Zim gets the most out of him.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
For them to skip on all those running backs for Liufau tells us a lot. It's going to be real interesting what Zimmer does with this defense.
He appears to be a good fit for Zimmer's scheme, let's see how he develops over the next few seasons.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Everything I read since he was drafted that he is a future green dot, MLB.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Yeah, others that might have been higher than expected after Wallace.

Tyron Hopper at 92 by GB
Tyrice Knight at 118 by SEA
Jordan Magee at 139 by WAS

Chasing6

Reaction score

Tyron Hopper at 92 by GB
Scheme and fit have a lot to do with it is well.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

Tyron Hopper at 92 by GB
We were going to be shut out at both positions lb and rb with such a late pick and the price was too high to trade up

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Right…which is part of the problem.
Precisely.

Folks like to trot out "well, the Cowboys had [name the prospect] graded higher..." but that's entirely the problem. Their evaluations and general approach the past two draft have been stupefying.

I would make a modest wager that on the balance, guys like Jaylen Wright, Marshawn Lloyd, or Ray Davis will likely have more of an impact than Liufau will.

Jaylen Wright would have been the perfect player to fill that Tony Pollard complimentary/speed back role that he thrived in.

I said many times before the draft that I wouldn't mind bringing back Zeke provided it was in a reduced role and didn't preclude us from drafting another RB.

Yet, what did these goofs do?

They went ahead and ignored the position entirely and plan on trotting Zeke, who's a year older, with a bunch of JAGs.

Unthinkable.