draft room scoop from today

goshan

Reaction score
Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley
I just spent several minutes talking by phone with a man who spent his day in the Cowboys' draft room. He said there was some serious debate on whether to choose Felix Jones or Rashard Mendenhall. In the end, scouts thought that Mendenhall was too much like Marion Barber.
The Cowboys loved Jones' speed and character. I've talked to some of Jones' coaches at Arkansas, and they couldn't stop talking about him. Sitting at No. 28, the Cowboys figured the Texans (No. 26) or Chargers (No. 27) would take Mike cornerback Mike Jenkins. That's why the Cowboys called the Seahawks to see if they would move out of the No. 25 pick. It helps that Mike Holmgren and Jerry Jones have become good friends over the years.
The Cowboys love Jenkins ability to cover the deep ball. He'll be the fourth corner if Pacman Jones is reinstated. But he'll eventually take over for Anthony Henry, who has been hobbled by injuries. The only thing that scares the Cowboys is Jenkins' habit of tackling low.
"He needs to learn how to take a charge every now and then," said my source, who was talking about Jenkins' reputation for diving at players' legs.
The Cowboys also like Jenkins' size. At a shade under 5-11, he actually plays pretty big. What will the Cowboys do tomorrow?
They like a defensive end from Virginia Tech named Chris Ellis, a defensive end from UCLA named Bruce Davis and a cornerback out of Iowa named Charles Godfrey. I would look for Godfrey to possiby go to the Cowboys in the third round.
According to my source, the Cowboys were hoping Texas wide receiver Limas Sweed would fall to them at No. 61, but then the Steelers took him at No. 53. The Cowboys ended up taking Texas A&M tight end Martellus Bennett.
One more thing: the league is finally reviewing the Pacman Jones trade. Until today, the teams were actually still finalizing the contract. The teams needed to finish the deal by Sunday since the Titans received a fourth-rounder from the Cowboys

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
In the end, scouts thought that Mendenhall was too much like Marion Barber.

spot on - great analysis and love Felix Jones there!

PosterChild

Reaction score
They like a defensive end from Virginia Tech named Chris Ellis, a defensive end from UCLA named Bruce Davis and a cornerback out of Iowa named Charles Godfrey. I would look for Godfrey to possiby go to the Cowboys in the third round.

Anybody have the goods on these dudes?

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
goshan;2055600 said:
I just spent several minutes talking by phone with a man who spent his day in the Cowboys' draft room. He said there was some serious debate on whether to choose Felix Jones or Rashard Mendenhall. In the end, scouts thought that Mendenhall was too much like Marion Barber.
The Cowboys loved Jones' speed and character. I've talked to some of Jones' coaches at Arkansas, and they couldn't stop talking about him. Sitting at No. 28, the Cowboys figured the Texans (No. 26) or Chargers (No. 27) would take Mike cornerback Mike Jenkins. That's why the Cowboys called the Seahawks to see if they would move out of the No. 25 pick. It helps that Mike Holmgren and Jerry Jones have become good friends over the years.
The Cowboys love Jenkins ability to cover the deep ball. He'll be the fourth corner if Pacman Jones is reinstated. But he'll eventually take over for Anthony Henry, who has been hobbled by injuries. The only thing that scares the Cowboys is Jenkins' habit of tackling low.
"He needs to learn how to take a charge every now and then," said my source, who was talking about Jenkins' reputation for diving at players' legs.
The Cowboys also like Jenkins' size. At a shade under 5-11, he actually plays pretty big. What will the Cowboys do tomorrow?
According to my source, the Cowboys were hoping Texas wide receiver Limas Sweed would fall to them at No. 61, but then the Steelers took him at No. 53. The Cowboys ended up taking Texas A&M tight end Martellus Bennett.
One more thing: the league is finally reviewing the Pacman Jones trade. Until today, the teams were actually still finalizing the contract. The teams needed to finish the deal by Sunday since the Titans received a fourth-rounder from the Cowboys

This quote will be ignored by some

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
goshan;2055600 said:

I figured that was the case. When the steelers took sweed I was watching the war room and you could see them moving papers around and looking like that was the pick they were hoping they could get at their pick.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
goshan;2055600 said:
[

You know, thats exactly what I posted in the thread where there was lot of moaning about Bennet pick, not that I wasn't complaining either.

It makes sense that they looked for Limas Sweed, since he would have been a good value at their pick. The run for WR, probably spoiled their plans.

ms9221

Reaction score
Nors;2055615 said:

He is better than both of them .

Ken

Reaction score
Nors;2055615 said:

Not that I don't love the Jones pick, but who would have thought that having two Marion Barber's would be a bad thing???? :)

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
I would be thrilled with any of the 3 he named in this article in the 3rd round, especially Godfrey. The kid has all the tools and is a burner. Yet another possible returner as well.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
PosterChild;2055624 said:

Anybody have the goods on these dudes?

Chris Ellis and Bruce Davis are tremendous pass-rushers, Chris kind of struggles when ran at, and Davis looked good standing up as a LB in the Senior Bowl, both are going to be rush-backers in the pros, Davis could potentially move to ILB in the 3-4 because he's on the short-side, coincidentally, I've been pimping Chris Ellis and me and Vintage have been pimping Davis for awhile now

Godfrey is a huge, fast CB who is on the raw side, but he has a really high ceiling

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2055676 said:
Chris Ellis and Bruce Davis are tremendous pass-rushers, Chris kind of struggles when ran at, and Davis looked good standing up as a LB in the Senior Bowl, both are going to be rush-backers in the pros, Davis could potentially move to ILB in the 3-4 because he's on the short-side, coincidentally, I've been pimping Chris Ellis and me and Vintage have been pimping Davis for awhile now

Godfrey is a huge, fast CB who is on the raw side, but he has a really high ceiling

Perfect breakdown. My only problem with Ellis is he has questionable character.

arglebargle

Reaction score
Nors;2055615 said:

A tough guy capable of tough yards and able to start if needed because of injury or necessity?

PosterChild

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2055676 said:

That covers it. Tanks.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Godfrey wll most likely be converted to safety.......he reminds me of Hamlin.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Godfrey is the guy with a Houston Texan malt liquor bull tattooed on his hand... He's too stupid to draft.

Dhragon

Deadly Claws of Death
Reaction score
TheCount;2055757 said:
Too much like Marion Barber... but.. but I like Barber...

Which is why you should be thrilled with Felix being the pick. Picking Felix pretty much ensures that MBIII will be resigned to a contract since Jerry acknowledged that Felix is just a part time back and a compliment to Barber. If Mendenhall was picked, next year would undoubtfully have been MBIIIs last as a Cowboy ( Why pay big bucks to him when you have a cheaper clone as well? )

BigWillie

Reaction score
BigDFan5;2055636 said:
This quote will be ignored by some

If a RB can pick up yards, who cares if he is like another? Give me the better RB of the two and not a 'compliment' to the other. I want the best players we can get so we can move the chains, pick up yardage and score points.

Basically, screw this 'complimentary' BS.