draft room scoop from today

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
But what's the chance's of Godfrey lasting till the end of the 3rd ? Not much I would wager...

jbsg02

Reaction score
I was so mad when I heard Sweed's name called, that would have made a great day 1.

ReturnToGlory

Reaction score
So the scouts worked their butts off for this. What motivation.
Only one word explains why we haven't won a playoff game in 11 years. - Jerry!!!

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
dbair1967;2056009 said:
I doubt they had Mendenhall that much higher, and thats probably why it was debated.

Several people said this morning the guy they really wanted was Stewart, so Werder's report that Mendenhall was #2 RB on their board was probably wrong

and if they were close, then obviously having someone who could stretch the field and make big plays in 3 phases (runs, receiver out of backfield and split wide, and kick returns) makes more sense.
David
That's exactly what Jerry said in the PC. He said both had basically the same grade, so why not take the one who better fits your needs?

I think that unlike with Julius, we're going to see some sets with both Barber and Felix on the field at the same time. Which wouldn't work with Mendenhall.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
dbair1967;2056009 said:
I doubt they had Mendenhall that much higher, and thats probably why it was debated.

Several people said this morning the guy they really wanted was Stewart, so Werder's report that Mendenhall was #2 RB on their board was probably wrong

and if they were close, then obviously having someone who could stretch the field and make big plays in 3 phases (runs, receiver out of backfield and split wide, and kick returns) makes more sense.

And for those who want to keep quoting the "combine 40 time!!!!" to me, I dont care. WATCH the games to make the real judgement, and when you do, Jones sticks out because he is constantly making big plays.

David

Stewart was the 2nd best back in this draft imo I was hoping his surgery would make him fall to us at 22 I hate you Carolina :mad::mad::mad:

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
ReturnToGlory;2056331 said:
So the scouts worked their butts off for this. What motivation.
Only one word explains why we haven't won a playoff game in 11 years. - Jerry!!!
Mosley's post said the source said it was the scouts who supported drafting F. Jones in the end.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
LeonDixson;2056406 said:
Mosley's post said the source said it was the scouts who supported drafting F. Jones in the end.

I will trust the scouts over Jerry that helps the sting a little

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
Is it overkill to get another corner tomorrow? We'd essentially spend three of our top five or six picks at that position.

Granted, it's a vital position, and if the guy's the best available...

Thomas82

Reaction score
Ken;2055667 said:
Not that I don't love the Jones pick, but who would have thought that having two Marion Barber's would be a bad thing???? :)

It would have been no different than having Joey Galloway and Rocket Ismail together years ago.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley
What will the Cowboys do tomorrow?
They like a defensive end from Virginia Tech named Chris Ellis, a defensive end from UCLA named Bruce Davis and a cornerback out of Iowa named Charles Godfrey. I would look for Godfrey to possiby go to the Cowboys in the third round.

I hope Mosley is being feed this stuff as misdirection. Chris Ellis would be a poor fit in a 3-4. Would need to get bigger to play DE and not athletic/instinctive enough to play OLB. Character and football IQ are also concerns.

Bruce Davis is a decent enough pass rusher but I would much rather have Curtis Johnson, who is more athletic and plays more fluid in space.

As for Iowa's Godfrey, please no. He is a workout warrior. Period. He sucks when he plays press coverage b/c he does not play to his timed speed and his transition of out his backpedal is ugly as hell. For all his speed and size, he is better playing zone/man off. The kid is still learning to play CB, 3rd is way too early to take another project_who at best will be the FIFTH corner.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
newlander;2056019 said:
I like Godfrey: saw him play a few times last season on TV. BUT, I would really like to snag a WR at some point: Monk? Is he higher on most boards than Godfrey? If he's close to Godfrey for overall value, I'd think we're taking the WR over another CB. But then again, as a great man once said; you can never have enough cornerbacks...............

Don't forget that the Boys draft again just 8 picks after their pick in the 3rd round... I figure they can get two of the following three with those picks-- a WR, a S or a NT...

Among the WRs, they might have their choice from Early Doucet, Andre Caldwell, Marcus Monk, Earl Bennett, Keenan Burton and Will Jackson... among the NTs, there's Red Bryant, Marcus Harrison, Dre Moore, Ahtyba Rubin, Frank Okam and DeMario Pressley to choose from... at safety, Charles Godfrey, Reggie Smith, Josh Barrett, Quintin Demps or Thomas DeCoud... so there are a lot of options at all 3 positions, and some of them are liable to be on the board at each position when pick 92 rolls around...

The Boys are sitting pretty at this point... there will be good value at positions of need on the board in the 3rd and 4th rounds for them...

CowboyMort

Reaction score
I think the only reason to think of grabbing a CB in the next two picks is to hedge your bet if Pacman doesn't get reinstated. If we have a starting CB go down then you will cart out Ball and Ogelsby as your 3 and 4 CB. Scary.

MWILL

Fear the Afro
Reaction score
The Foreskins just drafted 2 WR's, Randell El or Moss could be let go (maybe).

Who knows, we might get lucky and get a speed WR.
If not from the Deadskins maybe somewhere else.

starfrombirth

Reaction score
dbair1967;2055878 said:
so basically it doesnt matter to you that one guy was far more producitve over his 3yrs than the other? Also, Jones didnt start because he played alongside a top-5 pick...Mendenhall couldnt even beat out an undrafted f/a for the starting job...

hey I liked Mendenhall some too, but there's certainly nothing wrong with Jones...he played in the best conference, vs the best defensive talent and most speed, and he was incredibly productive and explosive

David

This is true and sometimes it's hard for us (myself included) to Remember that. I was very disappointed about not getting Mendenhall myself. I thought if 1 Barbarion was good then having another version would be great. We could've pounded on defenses the whole game long and Mendenhall does have break away speed.HOWEVER Jones did fantastic for every year in college against the best defenses. I can't knock the pick too hard. After all, how many of us would love to have Tony Dorsett playing full time for us today and carrying the load. Some skills can be learned....