Draft rumours and info

RS12

Reaction score
2020 NFL Draft News and Rumors: Wednesday, April 22
Kickoff of the 2020 NFL Draft is less than 36 hours away. It’s about this time every year I speak with people in the league about who they feel are the most overrated and underrated prospects in this draft class. This is what I’m hearing:

Overrated and Underrated Prospects
Overrated – Leki Fotu/DT/Utah: Fotu could just as easily fall into the category of “most disappointing” as much as overrated. Despite being an incredible physical specimen who flashed brilliance at times, Fotu is too inconsistent for next-level decision makers who say he never met expectations. League sources talk about a motor that runs hot and cold as well as the inability to shed blocks against lesser opponents. His physical skills and upside could help Fotu find his way into the third round, but many believe he could’ve been a top-20 pick if he played to expectations.

Underrated – Michael Pittman Jr./WR/USC: One team has Pittman graded as a top-15 player on their draft board. He was a terrific pass catcher on the college field, and his Scouting Combine workout surprised everyone. And while Pittman is not expected to land in round one, most feel he’ll be off the board early in the second frame.

Related | 2020 NFL Draft Scouting Report: USC WR Michael Pittman Jr.

Underrated – Ezra Cleveland/OT/Boise State: One scout said Cleveland “doesn’t have great power, but he’s just a sensational pass protector. He possesses great feet and movement skills.” The consensus on Cleveland is that he’s a terrific zone-blocking left tackle who will only get better once he enters an NFL weight-training program.

Related | 2020 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Boise State OT Ezra Cleveland

Enigma – Austin Jackson/OT/USC: Jackson isn’t an enigma based on his talent, rather the wide variety of opinions on his game around the league. Some feel he’s a legitimate mid first-round prospect, while others tell me he’s second-round talent. I took a lot of heat the past few weeks for having Jackson rated so highly, and while I don’t think he’s a top-18 selection in the draft, I firmly believe he’s a first-round talent who will end up as a sensational starting left tackle in the league.

Related | 2020 NFL Draft Scouting Report: USC OT Austin Jackson

Packers interested in LB Jordyn Brooks
I’m told the Green Bay Packers like linebacker Jordyn Brooks of Texas Tech a great deal. There’s been some talk of Brooks landing with the Packers in round one recently, which is a little too rich for my blood; I gave Brooks to the Packers in the second round in my final mock draft. My history of Packers’ selections in the second round has been pretty solid in recent years (Josh Jackson, Jason Spriggs), and despite likely jinxing that for the future, let’s see how it turns out.

Cornerback draft boards are varied around the league
After Jeffrey Okudah and C.J. Henderson, cornerback rankings are all over the place. A.J. Terrell, Kristian Fulton and Jaylon Johnson are moving up boards, and it looks like all three will land in the first round.

Related | Tony Pauline’s NFL Draft Big Board

Trevon Diggs and Jeff Gladney are moving in the other direction for a variety of reasons, while Noah Igbinoghene of Auburn is sneaking up boards and could be selected earlier in the second round than most people think.

Agents worried about finances of late-round picks and undrafted free agents
In speaking with several agents, there is a concern as to the financial well-being of many of the players who will be selected outside the top 60 and those who agree to terms as undrafted free agents.

Those contracts come with a signing bonus, and that money is needed to hold most of the last-day picks and free agents over until camp starts. With an expected delay until contracts are signed and the start of rookie camp and summer camp up in the air due to the pandemic, agents may have to front money for their players until the situation is settled.

Small school defensive lineman generating much interest
Arkansas State defensive lineman Kevin Thurmon is getting a lot of love from teams lately, especially the Dallas Cowboys, Miami Dolphins and Arizona Cardinals.

Thurmon is an explosive three-technique type who plays bigger than his listed size. He’s incredibly explosive and easily moves about the field. Besides speaking with coaches and scouts from the Cowboys, Dolphins and Cardinals via teleconference, those franchises had their team doctors speak with Thurmon and administer a tele-exam
Anybody see Thurman play? If so opinions?

fivetwos

Reaction score
Anybody see Thurman play? If so opinions?
One of the sites has a quick bio on him.

Skinny ish DT. 16 TFL and 3.5 sacks last yr.

Definitely a project, but a late round projection. Anything you get out of those guys is gravy.

He is probably a high motor type.

But no, I have not seen him play. Not sure who could have unless live.

RS12

Reaction score
So Bleacher report is saying via Ed Werder the Cowboys are considering drafting a QB in round 2 or 3. Let's set aside our skepticism for a minute and indulge this theory. At that point it seems it could only be Jalen Hurts in my mind. I dont think Love slips that far. Any other ideas?

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Eason maybe
So Bleacher report is saying via Ed Werder the Cowboys are considering drafting a QB in round 2 or 3. Let's set aside our skepticism for a minute and indulge this theory. At that point it seems it could only be Jalen Hurts in my mind. I dont think Love slips that far. Any other ideas?

BigTimeBlues

Reaction score

What an incredibly idiotic move that would be..

BigTimeBlues

Reaction score
I said let's set aside our scepticism. Who ya got between 50 and 85?

Any DB, Dlineman or WR that is a much pressing need more than at best a backup QB.

I know we can spend weeks going back and forth on the semantics of BPA, but this roster needs far more..in those rounds..than a back up QB

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Hurts would be my guess

RS12

Reaction score
Any DB, Dlineman or WR that is a much pressing need more than at best a backup QB.

I know we can spend weeks going back and forth on the semantics of BPA, but this roster needs far more..in those rounds..than a back up QB
What makes you think it will be a backup beyond year one? Looks like Dak plays with a tag and whoever gets groomed.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
What makes you think it will be a backup beyond year one? Looks like Dak plays with a tag and whoever gets groomed.
I would think they would trade Dak. Run the risk of dividing the lockerroom, knowing Dak is only here for 2020. Sign and trade for picks/players?

fivetwos

Reaction score
Out of Hurts, Eason and Fromm, I think Hurts is the only one that could be competitive in an NFL game in 2020.

I like the idea of having that guy as a backup, I do NOT like the idea of spending pick 51 on him

They need to deal back from 17 to consider this. If not, and they dont get him later, then you dont need him.

I dont know how many teams are lining up to forego a potential starting player to have Hurts as a backup at this point.