Draft Thoughts almost a week away

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The Cowboys are clearly hunting Offense Line, Running Back and Linebacker with their top 3 picks.

I do not believe drafting a defensive tackle is in their plans, unless a CeeDee Lamb situation happens again. First, they believe in draft and development where they just used their top pick at the position a year ago, along with another on top of day 3, which they view as a future 3T in Fehoko. If they draft a DT, it most likely will be on day 3 for depth purposes.

This team HAS to come away with an impact, plug/play starting offensive lineman. 3 starting holes, where their RT is coming off of a major disappointing season. The good news is, they have an successful track record of hitting on 1st rd lineman, not so much after the top rd.

Over the last decade, this team has had a bell cow running back and have used the #2 back more to spell the starter. I cannot see this team going into next season without a high level, starting running back. Since the beginning of the process, Jane Slater stating the Cowboys love Jonathan Brooks and I am fully expecting him to become a Cowboy at 56, if still on the board. Cowboys love values and they also have the team doctor who performed his surgery. I'm a bigger fan of Benson, but Brooks is the better all-around back.

As for linebacker, we know the Cowboys had visits with the top 4. Eric Kendricks was brought in as a 1yr stop-gap solution, where the team could be one injury away from being back to last season where they struggled to stop the run against everyone. Question is who fits best? Can this player also offer pass rush abilities as Kendricks/Overshown most likely play in the nickel. Both Cooper/Wilson make a ton of sense. Cooper could be a surprise 1st rd pick by the team, but we also heard recently Bruce Feldman state the Cowboys have strong interest with Wilson.

Trading back makes a ton of sense this year, with so many needs throughout the roster. It would be nice to add another top 100 pick, but there is also risk from trading back.

MarkP88

Reaction score
They'd be imbeciles to let Fehoko's presence dissuade them from drafting someone...oh, what am I saying? Of course they think that.

I am so over them drafting injured guys in Round 2. Brooks may be talented, but not talented enough that you'd spend a high level pick knowing he won't be back to his real self until later in the year. It's not like good backs can't be found later or elsewhere. But again, what am I saying? Of course they will draft him.

rambo2

Reaction score
The Cowboys are clearly hunting Offense Line, Running Back and Linebacker with their top 3 picks.

I do not believe drafting a defensive tackle is in their plans, unless a CeeDee Lamb situation happens again. First, they believe in draft and development where they just used their top pick at the position a year ago, along with another on top of day 3, which they view as a future 3T in Fehoko. If they draft a DT, it most likely will be on day 3 for depth purposes.

This team HAS to come away with an impact, plug/play starting offensive lineman. 3 starting holes, where their RT is coming off of a major disappointing season. The good news is, they have an successful track record of hitting on 1st rd lineman, not so much after the top rd.

Over the last decade, this team has had a bell cow running back and have used the #2 back more to spell the starter. I cannot see this team going into next season without a high level, starting running back. Since the beginning of the process, Jane Slater stating the Cowboys love Jonathan Brooks and I am fully expecting him to become a Cowboy at 56, if still on the board. Cowboys love values and they also have the team doctor who performed his surgery. I'm a bigger fan of Benson, but Brooks is the better all-around back.

As for linebacker, we know the Cowboys had visits with the top 4. Eric Kendricks was brought in as a 1yr stop-gap solution, where the team could be one injury away from being back to last season where they struggled to stop the run against everyone. Question is who fits best? Can this player also offer pass rush abilities as Kendricks/Overshown most likely play in the nickel. Both Cooper/Wilson make a ton of sense. Cooper could be a surprise 1st rd pick by the team, but we also heard recently Bruce Feldman state the Cowboys have strong interest with Wilson.

Trading back makes a ton of sense this year, with so many needs throughout the roster. It would be nice to add another top 100 pick, but there is also risk from trading back.
Byron Murphy is in the mix.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I agree with you in that I think this is what the Cowboys will do…they’re going to target positions for the 1st 3 rounds.

My problem is in doing so they may very well reach for need with their premium selections.

rambo2

Reaction score
I agree with you in that I think this is what the Cowboys will do…they’re going to target positions for the 1st 3 rounds.

My problem is in doing so they may very well reach for need with their premium selections.
The rankings play out pretty well to what they need.

cnuball21

Reaction score
The rankings play out pretty well to what they need.
In the 1st for OL I’d agree…past that you usually have bigger opportunties in the top 100 to take a top falling talent over need but we won’t.

baltcowboy

Reaction score

I looked at the draft classes the last 3 years the Cowboys have put a lot of resources on the offensive tackles, guards, linebackers, defensive line, wide receivers, and cornerback. They seem to put very little resources to center, running back, and free safety. I think the first two picks will be a center and running back unless the Oregon St. and Washington tackles fall to them. JPJ is going to be the first pick I believe.

RS12

Reaction score
They were at Newton pro day today and IMO DT is still a major weakness. I am not all in on trading back either. Really depends on the return. Nothing later than a round 4 pick.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
They were at Newton pro day today and IMO DT is still a major weakness. I am not all in on trading back either. Really depends on the return. Nothing later than a round 4 pick.

This is off topic, but I googled Johnny Newton's pro day to see if numbers have been posted, and found this.

We still pay Brent? Blegh.

RS12

Reaction score
This is off topic, but I googled Johnny Newton's pro day to see if numbers have been posted, and found this.

We still pay Brent? Blegh.

Jerry loves bad guys. Brent certainly didnt make enough in his career to never have to work again. Apparently the organization strongly believes in 2nd chances.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

It is very possible they do indeed reach, but this is what happens when you don't cover yourself addressing your needs prior to the draft. This offseason they lost multiple starters and only signed 1 outside fa.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
In the 1st for OL I’d agree…past that you usually have bigger opportunties in the top 100 to take a top falling talent over need but we won’t.
Look what we did last year, no way that Georgia pass rusher had a lower grade then Mazi Smith. They draft for bets player at a need position!

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I looked at the draft classes the last 3 years the Cowboys have put a lot of resources on the offensive tackles, guards, linebackers, defensive line, wide receivers, and cornerback. They seem to put very little resources to center, running back, and free safety. I think the first two picks will be a center and running back unless the Oregon St. and Washington tackles fall to them. JPJ is going to be the first pick I believe.
I agree with everything, except taking a safety within their top 3 selections.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I don't disagree with the need at DT, but based on their history, I am not expecting one.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Look what we did last year, no way that Georgia pass rusher had a lower grade than Mazi Smith. They draft for bets player at a need position!
The consensus BPA would’ve been JPJr. He looked like a stud…Mazi looked like a dud.

rambo2

Reaction score
LOL. Yeah.

Just like they were going to trade at the deadline, and how they were going to be active in FA.

Do you ever get tired of defending this FO?
How is this defending the front office?