Draft Thoughts almost a week away

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Question ..........Brooks, Benson and Wilson are there for 56. Who are you selecting? In other words, would you pass on Wilson for an RB?

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I'm not sure he's a high priority ( for them ) at 24. Maybe in a trade back......

*** He's only started 1 year at center
***He offers little or no position flex ( their preference )
*** They used a mid-round pick (Biadasz 4th round) to find our last starting center. Yes, I remember the 1st rounder on Travis Frederick. He was an exception coz he was not our first target in the 2013 draft ( Jonathan Cooper or Chance Warmack ). We traded back to 31st with the 49ers and selected him. He was one of the "we got lucky" picks.

Personally, I would have no problem picking him at 24 if a couple of other players were gone. I just don't think the FO is as high on him as fans think/media think.
Good assessment. Supposedly JPJ is a power center that can get to the second level and weighs 320lbs. I could see the team thinking that the offensive line issue last season was at center. I could see tackle because it is the most valuable position but JPJ is too good to pass up.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Supposedly JPJ is a power center that can get to the second level and weighs 320lbs
Trust me......I would love to draft him. I just think he could be a player sitting there at 24 and they surprise many fans by passing on him.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Trust me......I would love to draft him. I just think he could be a player sitting there at 24 and they surprise many fans by passing on him.
It would be hard to pass on a left tackle they like. I just think they want to win now so they will get the center unless a top 5 tackle falls.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
It would be hard to pass on a left tackle they like. I just think they want to win now so they will get the center unless a top 5 tackle falls.
I think folks have to be careful with expectations. The guys that could be available at Tackle are all potential. And more bust potential than the guys on the interior.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I think folks have to be careful with expectations. The guys that could be available at Tackle are all potential. And more bust potential than the guys on the interior.
Yeah but left tackles are so valuable. You like one you are going to draft one especially when you don’t have one.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
That is the draft, any player has the potential to bust even the blue chip prospects. What we do know is the Cowboys have hit on all their 1st rd lineman drafted for the last decade. Everyone except me, Balt and another poster hated the Tyler Smith pick, but he was an all-pro guard last year in his 2nd season.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
That is the draft, any player has the potential to bust even the blue chip prospects. What we do know is the Cowboys have hit on all their 1st rd lineman drafted for the last decade. Everyone except me, Balt and another poster hated the Tyler Smith pick, but he was an all-pro guard last year in his 2nd season.
I didn’t hate the Smith pick. Especially when you watched some of his film. His technique was pretty bad, but there were reps where he absolutely destroyed people. I don‘t see that in any of the Tackles projected to be available.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I didn’t hate the Smith pick. Especially when you watched some of his film. His technique was pretty bad, but there were reps where he absolutely destroyed people. I don‘t see that in any of the Tackles projected to be available.
I agree, think after Mims, you are looking at raw prospects that aren’t ready to start in this league, they are going to need a year to develop. This team doesn’t have that luxury

Flamma

Reaction score
Question ..........Brooks, Benson and Wilson are there for 56. Who are you selecting? In other words, would you pass on Wilson for an RB?
Wilson, if you're talking about the LB. Not counting Brooks, round 3 would be the soonest I'd take a RB. Probably early day 3. I wouldn't draft Brooks at all.