Draft Thoughts almost a week away

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I don’t think they will take a safety either but they never draft them. Just something to keep an eye on.
They usually draft them on day 3. They do have Thomas, Bell behind the starters in Wilson/Hooker. Also, Muku is still on the roster as well.

NDGAEDE

Reaction score
I agree with you in that I think this is what the Cowboys will do…they’re going to target positions for the 1st 3 rounds.

My problem is in doing so they may very well reach for need with their premium selections.
Yep. See Kelvin Joseph.

Our only hope is a CeeDee scenario where there is someone so good, they can't pass them up.

The way we're headed it's basically OT in 1 or bust. Which would likey result in RB in 2, Lb in 3 or in reverse). I doubt they'd burn a 1 on a C.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The consensus BPA would’ve been JPJr. He looked like a stud…Mazi looked like a dud.
Stephen claims they draft the best player available, but that only happened with Lamb. Remember, that assistant coach from last year who played with the Vikings. He was clearly the best player available and they past on him.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
They usually draft them on day 3. They do have Thomas, Bell behind the starters in Wilson/Hooker. Also, Muku is still on the roster as well.
Do you think the Oregon St or Washington tackles could fall? I saw a mock where they were drafted in the 20s. The Washington tackle was taken at 23.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Do you think the Oregon St or Washington tackles could fall? I saw a mock where they were drafted in the 20s. The Washington tackle was taken at 23.
I have heard that Fantanu OL coach went to the Seahawks where he has been linked to them for a few weeks. As for Fuaga, there is a chance he could fall, but not sure how far, as he is a Right Tackle only, where some teams are viewing him as a Guard. Read recently from Pauline, that Barton is the Steeler's likely pick. Hearing Jordan Morgan's name come up recently with the Cowboys.

rambo2

Reaction score
Stephen claims they draft the best player available, but that only happened with Lamb. Remember, that assistant coach from last year who played with the Vikings. He was clearly the best player available and they past on him.
What was Parsons? Tyler Smith turned out to be the best available in his draft.

rambo2

Reaction score
I have heard that Fantanu OL coach went to the Seahawks where he has been linked to them for a few weeks. As for Fuaga, there is a chance he could fall, but not sure how far, as he is a Right Tackle only, where some teams are viewing him as a Guard. Read recently from Pauline, that Barton is the Steeler's likely pick. Hearing Jordan Morgan's name come up recently with the Cowboys.
Morgan or Frazier would be good with a trade back. Morgan is a solid left side player. Frazier is a legit starting center.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Ok. It’s lying season. We just have to wait until the draft.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Yep. See Kelvin Joseph.

Our only hope is a CeeDee scenario where there is someone so good, they can't pass them up.

The way we're headed it's basically OT in 1 or bust. Which would likey result in RB in 2, Lb in 3 or in reverse). I doubt they'd burn a 1 on a C.
Don’t get me wrong…I think there is so much round 1 OT talent they basically can’t mess it up unless they reach for someone like Morgan or Kingsley. Not a big fan of JPJ at 24 either as he’s been sliding.

I’m more worried about rounds 2/3.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The Cowboys are clearly hunting Offense Line, Running Back and Linebacker with their top 3 picks.

I do not believe drafting a defensive tackle is in their plans, unless a CeeDee Lamb situation happens again. First, they believe in draft and development where they just used their top pick at the position a year ago, along with another on top of day 3, which they view as a future 3T in Fehoko. If they draft a DT, it most likely will be on day 3 for depth purposes.

This team HAS to come away with an impact, plug/play starting offensive lineman. 3 starting holes, where their RT is coming off of a major disappointing season. The good news is, they have an successful track record of hitting on 1st rd lineman, not so much after the top rd.

Over the last decade, this team has had a bell cow running back and have used the #2 back more to spell the starter. I cannot see this team going into next season without a high level, starting running back. Since the beginning of the process, Jane Slater stating the Cowboys love Jonathan Brooks and I am fully expecting him to become a Cowboy at 56, if still on the board. Cowboys love values and they also have the team doctor who performed his surgery. I'm a bigger fan of Benson, but Brooks is the better all-around back.

As for linebacker, we know the Cowboys had visits with the top 4. Eric Kendricks was brought in as a 1yr stop-gap solution, where the team could be one injury away from being back to last season where they struggled to stop the run against everyone. Question is who fits best? Can this player also offer pass rush abilities as Kendricks/Overshown most likely play in the nickel. Both Cooper/Wilson make a ton of sense. Cooper could be a surprise 1st rd pick by the team, but we also heard recently Bruce Feldman state the Cowboys have strong interest with Wilson.

Trading back makes a ton of sense this year, with so many needs throughout the roster. It would be nice to add another top 100 pick, but there is also risk from trading back.
It will be interesting to see if the NFL agrees with Dane in that there is a big gap between Brooks and Benson. If they do, Brooks could he gone. I dont think Benson would be a bad #54 though

phildadon86

Reaction score
How is this defending the front office?
You defend them at every turn. Even said Stephen is qualified for his job.

Let me ask you.

How does an engineering degree qualify someone for contract negotiations in football?

rambo2

Reaction score
You defend them at every turn. Even said Stephen is qualified for his job.

Let me ask you.

How does an engineering degree qualify someone for contract negotiations in football?
All I did was say that Byron Murphy was in the mix at 24. He is in the mix being that he is ranked in the teens and was a 30 visit. What in the hell does that have to do with Stephen Jones? I don't give a **** about Stephen Jones. This is about the draft.

NDGAEDE

Reaction score
Don’t get me wrong…I think there is so much round 1 OT talent they basically can’t mess it up unless they reach for someone like Morgan or Kingsley. Not a big fan of JPJ at 24 either as he’s been sliding.

I’m more worried about rounds 2/3.
They haven't left themselves any room for error, it seems.

Carter

Reaction score
I have the same thoughts. Its gonna be O-Line 1st, than RB or LB in Round 2 and 3.

They still believe in Mazi and will probably just add another veteran later in FA like Hankins was and select another one later in the Draft.

I just hope they are not an open book to read for everyone else like last year when even my grandma knew the Cowboys wanted to select a TE Kincaid in Round 1 and the Bills jumped in front and took Kincaid.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
JPJ is going to be the first pick I believe.
I'm not sure he's a high priority ( for them ) at 24. Maybe in a trade back......

*** He's only started 1 year at center
***He offers little or no position flex ( their preference )
*** They used a mid-round pick (Biadasz 4th round) to find our last starting center. Yes, I remember the 1st rounder on Travis Frederick. He was an exception coz he was not our first target in the 2013 draft ( Jonathan Cooper or Chance Warmack ). We traded back to 31st with the 49ers and selected him. He was one of the "we got lucky" picks.

Personally, I would have no problem picking him at 24 if a couple of other players were gone. I just don't think the FO is as high on him as fans think/media think.