Drafting a first round QB

HungryLion

Reaction score
All you had to say is that the Cowboys need to draft a DL in the first round of next years draft and not a QB.

Regarding 1st round QBs and Super Bowls:

Tom Brady 9 Super Bowls 6th round, Joe Montana 4 Super Bowls 3rd round, Roger Staubach 4 Super Bowls 10th round, Russell Wilson 2 Super Bowls 3rd round, Bart Starr 2 Super Bowls 5 NFL Championships 17th round, Johnny Unitas 1 Super Bowl 3 NFL Championships 9th round, Brad Johnson 1 Super Bowl 9th round, Joe Theisman 2 Super Bowls 4th round, and Kurt Warner 3 Super Bowls UDFA.

These are only the QBs that played in Super Bowls and won at least 1 Super Bowl not counting the ones that played and lost (i.e. Kapernick, Delhomme, etc.).

Football is a team sport where talent and coaching matters.

I would love to have a new defensive coordinator who wants us to draft a big powerful DT in the first next year.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I honestly don’t trust them to make the right call on finding a QB.

We can thank Parcells and Sean Payton and David Lee for Romo. They’re not here anymore.

They fell backwards into drafting Dak and they were going to stick us with Paxton Lynch or Connor Cook.
There’s really no telling how either of those might have worked out with this surrounding supporting cast.

How do you think Dak would have worked out in Denver or New York?

HungryLion

Reaction score
There’s really no telling how either of those might have worked out with this surrounding supporting cast.

How do you think Dak would have worked out in Denver or New York?

I don’t think Denver had a bad overall team when Lynch went there.
And again, Lynch had chances with multiple teams. He was just terrible. Flat out awful. Supporting cast or not.

teams scout nfl players. If he showed ability he would still at least be on a team probbaly.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Far enough. It’s good to know you’re just ribbing me. To be honest Phil. Sometimes I have trouble with your posts and understanding if it’s just ribbing or meant to be disrespect. You have to admit some other posters on this board do go the disrespect route. But I can appreciate you saying it’s just water cooler talk. That’s good with me man.

You know sometimes it’s hard to know a persons tone through writing. If I could see your facial expression and body language I would pick up on that better I’m sure.

I honestly didn’t make this post as just a way of saying they have to keep Dak though.
I’m really just trying to break down what the chances of landing a better QB than him are.

I said in another post I would be fine if the cowboys do draft another QB. But I’m pointing out that is also a risky proposition.

sure we could get the next Mahomes. We could also get the next Paxton Lynch or Blaine Gabbert. Which would not be fun football to watch man.

thats all.
We all know it’s a risky proposition that’s why it comes of as a keep Dak in disguise thread. I’ve said many times I’m for drafting a first rd qb even if it fails. I always put that because a lot of pro Dak people post the same thing you do and I let them know I’m ok with that. Dak isn’t good enough imo to not take that chance that you get the next Mahommes over Lynch.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Not if the results weren’t any better. Aikman was bashed early and late in his career.

It’s always about the team results when you’re the QB. Same it was for Merideth, Morton, White and Romo. Is Dak going to be another one of those or Staubach and Aikman who both won early in their careers.

That’s fine if your ok with another 10 years like we just had. For me, I’m willing to risk hitting the jackpot. That’s just my personal preference. Especially with this dysfunctional organization which I have no confidence they can uplift lesser talent.
Who are some of the upcoming jackpots that we have a reasonable chance of getting? Or some can’t miss prospects. Period

I don’t know and the point is those jackpots are very hard to come by.

But I get. That’s what you’d go for so who are some prospects. It would be interesting to see how they end up comparing to Dak.

The Wentz/Dak comparison is interesting so far.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don’t think Denver had a bad overall team when Lynch went there.
And again, Lynch had chances with multiple teams. He was just terrible. Flat out awful. Supporting cast or not.

teams scout nfl players. If he showed ability he would still at least be on a team probbaly.
I can’t speak on it. I never saw either play in NFL. And unfamiliar with the QB situations in those teams while they were there.

I’d still be curious how’d they might have fared here. The teams these top drafted QB’s go to does matter.

But going thru life afraid to take a risk for fear of bust is not how I operate. And it appears most owners and GM’s would agree as we continue to see these risk taken to land their QB. Because it’s where most of the top QB’s are found.

HungryLion

Reaction score
We all know it’s a risky proposition that’s why it comes of as a keep Dak in disguise thread. I’ve said many times I’m for drafting a first rd qb even if it fails. I always put that because a lot of pro Dak people post the same thing you do and I let them know I’m ok with that. Dak isn’t good enough imo to not take that chance that you get the next Mahommes over Lynch.

That’s a fair argument Phil.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I can’t speak on it. I never saw either play in NFL. And unfamiliar with the QB situations in those teams while they were there.

I’d still be curious how’d they might have fared here. The teams these top drafted QB’s go to does matter.

But going thru life afraid to take a risk for fear of bust is not how I operate. And it appears most owners and GM’s would agree as we continue to see these risk taken to land their QB. Because it’s where most of the top QB’s are found.

I understand. Then again, how many GM’s take that risk when they have a QB who is playing at a top 10 level?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Cowboys may draft a QB next year but it sure as hell will not be a 1st rd pick

erod

Reaction score
Yeah it’s a dumb argument for multiple reasons we have been through before. very similar to the personnel that Romo had in 2014. The same Romo you claim never had help.

Never made that claim. I said by the time he had an offensive line, he was already broken in half. He ran for his life until Garrett convinced Jerry to start drafting offensive linemen early, and even then it took a while to draft the needed parts. For several years, they only drafted linemen in later rounds, or none at all. Remember James Marten, Robert Brewster, David Arkin, Jacob Rogers.......?

Dak inherited three all-pro caliber lineman, the best RB in football, Witten, and a good receiving corps.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
As everyone knows there has been much debate over whether the Cowboys should extend Dak’s contract.

some believe the cowboys should let Dak walk and select a QB in the first round.

this thread is not intended to be a debate over how good Dak ultimately is. I just want to explore the history of drafting QB’s in the first round and see how often QB’s selected in the first round end up being better than Dak has been thus far.

I made a post on this previously in another thread a while back, but feel like it could be its own thread and is worth discussing more.

So, I am going to break down QB’s drafted in the first round from 2007 until 2017. That is 11 drafts total. I am not including QB’s from the two most recent drafts, because I feel it is too soon to make an accurate judgment on how good those QB’s are.

I am going to list every QB taken in the first round and also mark if they were top 5 or not.

2017-
Trubisky (top 5), Mahomes, Deshaun Watson.

2016- Goff (top 5), Wentz (top 5), Paxton Lynch

2015- Jameis Winston (top 5). Mariota (top 5).

2014- Blake Bortles (top 5), Manziel, Bridgewater

2013- Ej Manuel

2012- Luck (top 5), Griffin III (top 5), Tannehill, Weeden

2011- Cam Newton (top 5), Locker, Gabbert, Ponder

2010- Bradford (top 5), Tebow

2009- Stafford (top 5), Sanchez (top 5), Freeman

2008- Matt Ryan (top 5), Joe Flacco

2007- JaMarcus Russel (top 5), Brady Quinn

We agree taking a QB high in the draft does not guarantee they would perform better. My only contention is we should continue to take and develop later round guys so were not paying an average-good QB elite money. We've done really well with mid-late round QB's. The NFL currently has a few guys playing well enough to allow their teams to win, shout out to steelers, jags, carolina. Build a QB friendly offense (great receiver, great rb, good TE, great OL) with a really good defense.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Never made that claim. I said by the time he had an offensive line, he was already broken in half. He ran for his life until Garrett convinced Jerry to start drafting offensive linemen early, and even then it took a while to draft the needed parts. For several years, they only drafted linemen in later rounds, or none at all. Remember James Marten, Robert Brewster, David Arkin, Jacob Rogers.......?

Dak inherited three all-pro caliber lineman, the best RB in football, Witten, and a good receiving corps.

The same Witten that may not have even been a pro bowler if not for Romo. According to you.

erod

Reaction score
I think Dak's biggest hater on this board would happily give him a 7 year vet min contract extension.

The reason why Dak's contract is an issue of contention is because its so dam big. I'll take one of the guys you marked as worse than Dak. Would you rather have Bridgewater and $30m of cap room or Dak?

Now, I realize that Dallas is really bad with money. Tank's contract sucks. Zeke's contract sucks. They might take that $30m and burn it. That said, if the Cowboys were actually responsible with capspace, $30m a year is a lot of cheddar. Beyond that, the long term commitment in guaranteed money can also be a killer. We already saw what Romo's contract did to the Cowboys.

If you are a Cowboys fan, you may want Dak extended or you may not depending on what you think of him. That said, you absolutely want it to be for the smallest amount possible. If you want Dak to get a huge contract, are you a Cowboys fan or a Dak fan?

Therein lies the entire point of it all.

As a bargain late draft pick, Dak is an angel from heaven. The team seriously lucked out to get a player of his quality at that point in the draft for that price.

But that changes entirely with a massive contract. If he can't carry the team like Rodgers, Wilson, or Brady, he's an albatross to the team.

HungryLion

Reaction score
We agree taking a QB high in the draft does not guarantee they would perform better. My only contention is we should continue to take and develop later round guys so were not paying an average-good QB elite money. We've done really well with mid-late round QB's. The NFL currently has a few guys playing well enough to allow their teams to win, shout out to steelers, jags, carolina. Build a QB friendly offense (great receiver, great rb, good TE, great OL) with a really good defense.

It’s a good idea. I am on board with them drafting a mid round QB regularly.

jnday

Reaction score
Says the know-nothing clown who said Colt McCoy and Tyrod Taylor are just as good as Dak.

The same Dak whose team is in 1st place (yet again), whose QBR is #1 in the NFL and whose passer rating is #8 in the NFL.

Dak has taken a MASSIVE **** on your face and has thoroughly ruined this era of Cowboys football for you. You’re his little *****.
:thumbup:
You have got to be the most immature little jerk that posts on this board. I should call your parents and have them ground you from using the family computer. On second thought, it is clear that they didn’t discipline you properly or you wouldn’t behave the way you do. You are just another spoiled brat that has the very worst of the traits that your generation has become known for. Now please move along to another thread before I hurt your feelings and you have to retreat to your safe space.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Who are some of the upcoming jackpots that we have a reasonable chance of getting? Or some can’t miss prospects. Period

I don’t know and the point is those jackpots are very hard to come by.

But I get. That’s what you’d go for so who are some prospects. It would be interesting to see how they end up comparing to Dak.

The Wentz/Dak comparison is interesting so far.
2021 Trevor Lawrence is the jackpot.

But this year there’s several who I’d look at. And it doesn’t have to be first round. Unless your content Cooper Rush is adequate in the event.

Here’s a few that will go in early rounds.
Tua- Bama
Herbert- Oregon
Fromm- Georgia
Eason- Washington
Hurts- OU