Drafting Zeke was football stupid

TheHerd

Reaction score
I think Zeke will turn out to be a superstar. I still wouldn't have used the 4th pick on him.

haleyrules

Reaction score
If Elliott turns out to be a great back then it was a great pick. Did the club need defense more...yes. But, whats done is done and Zeke is a Cowboy and should be a great one.

Prossman

Reaction score
A P had 19 carries for 31 yds. man he sucks another waist of a top 5 draft pick.

JohnnyFlame

Reaction score
83 yds in the 2nd game but fumbles. Still he looked better. He still might end up being the difference this year IF he along with the other weapons can help them survive while Romo is injured.

bodi

Reaction score
I sure would have traded back for Butler, Vernon an Tunsil, Laremy at ROT or a WR Doctson, Josh or Treadwell, Laquon

but I can lived with Zeke

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
Next year's RB class is so deep, too. We could have had a very good starting RB in the 2nd or 3rd round this year.

Fournette, Cook, Chubb, Freeman, McCaffery, Hurd, Gallman, Conner, Perine, Hunt, Smith, Hood, Clement...

Drafting Zeke Elliott at #4 was a stupid, stupid move and will surely hurt us.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
I sure would have traded back for Butler, Vernon an Tunsil, Laremy at ROT or a WR Doctson, Josh or Treadwell, Laquon

but I can lived with Zeke

If the team wasn't 100% sold on Ramsey, then trading back was the move to make. I would love Tunsil and an extra 2nd rounder right now. Corey Coleman, too.

StylisticS

Reaction score
Next year's RB class is so deep, too. We could have had a very good starting RB in the 2nd or 3rd round this year.

Fournette, Cook, Chubb, Freeman, McCaffery, Hurd, Gallman, Conner, Perine, Hunt, Smith, Hood, Clement...

Drafting Zeke Elliott at #4 was a stupid, stupid move and will surely hurt us.
Only one I would draft out of that group is Fournette and maybe McCaffery. I don't think drafting Zeke will hurt us at all. Unless you're rooting for that to happen and all.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
Only one I would draft out of that group is Fournette and maybe McCaffery. I don't think drafting Zeke will hurt us at all. Unless you're rooting for that to happen and all.

You're of course welcome to your opinion. But just because I don't share it doesn't mean I want Elliott to fail. I didn't agree with the pick, but of course want him to help the Cowboys win games.

All of those guys are draftable. If the rest of those names wouldn't be on your draft board, I don't know what to tell you. Nick Chubb is one of my favorite college backs in a long time. If he didn't get hurt, he'd be right next to Elliott and Fournette. The guy is a stud.

CapnB

Reaction score
Not that anyone will remember how much they overreacted to a wk 1 loss. (Zeke was a bad pick, season is over, tank the season. blah blah blah)

I thought this type of reaction was just over at the mothership message board. But I will say there's a lot more cry babies over there and the football IQ is higher here.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
If Dak is a franchise QB, it's hard to complain about getting two franchise level players in the same draft.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Not that anyone will remember how much they overreacted to a wk 1 loss. (Zeke was a bad pick, season is over, tank the season. blah blah blah)

I thought this type of reaction was just over at the mothership message board. But I will say there's a lot more cry babies over there and the football IQ is higher here.
Official boards are always bad. Too many casual fans

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It was a dumb tactical move, no doubt. The whole offseason was perplexing.

Do you still feel that way about drafting Zeke? I "believe" I saw a recent comment from you saying you still think drafting him was a mistake. How so? He currently leads the league in rushing which has helped Dak. We're currently 3rd in total offense and #2 in rushing. It's our rushing attack that's made our offense so effective. You rarely ever see a team rank that high in offense that's being led by a rookie QB and RB. We've scored 11 rushing TD's which is at or near the top in the league compared to only 8 rushing TD's all of last season.

I don't know how anyone could think drafting Zeke was a mistake as good as he and the offense has looked. It's the efficient running game that led to Romo's great season and our 12-4 record in 2014. If you remove Zeke and his rushing yards and 5 rushing TD's from this offense we wouldn't be sitting here at 5-1 and Dak probably wouldn't be having the great season he's having. A lesser running game would put more of the load on him and it would result in a lot of mistakes.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Do you still feel that way about drafting Zeke? I "believe" I saw a recent comment from you saying you still think drafting him was a mistake. How so? He currently leads the league in rushing which has helped Dak. We're currently 3rd in total offense and #2 in rushing. It's our rushing attack that's made our offense so effective. You rarely ever see a team rank that high in offense that's being led by a rookie QB and RB. We've scored 11 rushing TD's which is at or near the top in the league compared to only 8 rushing TD's all of last season.

I don't know how anyone could think drafting Zeke was a mistake as good as he and the offense has looked. It's the efficient running game that led to Romo's great season and our 12-4 record in 2014. If you remove Zeke and his rushing yards and 5 rushing TD's from this offense we wouldn't be sitting here at 5-1 and Dak probably wouldn't be having the great season he's having. A lesser running game would put more of the load on him and it would result in a lot of mistakes.

Yep. You could probably read that comment you believe you saw earlier and get the info you're looking for. My position hasn't changed since before the draft. I think the OL makes the RB in Dallas and not the other way around. I think it was a good draft for RBs. Zeke's pretty much exactly on the trajectory I said I felt he needed to be on to justify picking him at #4. I'm thrilled that he is, but I still think it was a poor tactical use of resources if you're comparing him to a defensive play maker.

To be really clear, because I know this is going to come up all season: Zeke's productivity is not surprising. He's doing what he ought to do, given how the deck was stacked in his favor. I like the player, I like watching him run. I love his pass protection. I love what he brings to the offense in terms of his temperament. And I'd still take an impact defender over a RB every single time.